38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

A Law-Abiding Character?

Has anyone made an utterly law-abiding character? One who never steals, never kills innocents and never taunts people to attack him?

It's so easy to break the law in this game that I wonder how hard it would be to take the lawful path. No stealing of weapons from shops, you have to buy them or take them from outlaws. No thieving ingredients from homes, buy or gather them yourself (no Ebony-mine cash-cow). Refuse to have anything to do with Moon Sugar or Skooma, leave it where it lies - certainly don't profit from its sale. Naturally you can't join the Thieves Guild, can't raid the house vaults in Vivec, can't even break and enter unless ordered to by an officer of the Law.

Anyone tried this? How much of a challenge have you found it? Is it possible to finish the game while sticking to such an ethos?
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:19 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

i CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANT TO.
Or am i in denial, i don't know.
It's just temting to take something you like.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:45 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

A Law-Abiding Character?

Well, i never tries it although i think it's possible to play as totally law abiding character. But you would loss many quest or chance to does something funny, or joint certain interesting Guilts/Great House. Hmm...if you really want to be a mr. goody two-shoes, i'm quite positive that you should not joint the three Great Houses, Mages/fighter/Thieves Guilds, also Imperial Legion (not sure about Blade faction); instead you better joint the Dunmer Temple, Imperial Cult, or try to do some works for Twin Lamp faction. Some one correct me if i'm wrong.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:15 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

whew! that would be tough. you could probably do it, if you don't mind running around too much. the reason i steal is mainly for conveniance. all you have to do is search the creates, or go to other people's houses and steal all their good stuff, sell them and there you are. i guess if i wasn't a casual gamer, i probably wouldn't mind spending hours just to get 500 gold without stealing, but that would require alot of hunting and gathering. as it is i don't have time to play that much, i really don't wanna spend all my play time running around in search of cliff racers and mushrooms.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:55 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I roleplay a Wizard who couldnt care less about anything but mental-wealth. Gold? Deadric items? WHo cares. The only thing I actually buy are ingredients and books for my studies. I pay for them by selling some potions I researched. Then I go back to my tower and start to study again.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:00 am
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

My Nord lives by the laws of his tribe. I took what was rightfully mine from my enemies (Hllallu treasury) and avenged an insult (That guy who hits on you... Uncle whatshisface....killed him)

Other than that i don't kill innocents or steal for money/items.

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:12 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

If you didn't steal money when it's just sitting there and no one's looking it would be a crime. A crime against yourself.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:39 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach
If you didn't steal money when it's just sitting there and no one's looking it would be a crime. A crime against yourself.

Lol... Anyway, i want say again that if you (or anyone in this cases) really wish to become an idea law abiding character, it would really hard indeed to live in Morrowind. Most quest including the Great Houses and Guilds quest involving something to do with political backstabbing, infighting, sabotage, threatening someone, bribing etc. This not including many quests or jobs that are questional or not clear from ethical or moral perspectives. So, prepared yourself on working only with religious group likes Imperial Cult or Temple, or live your life as "lone wolf" character. Personally, when i role-play i always choose became Choatic good character, only 2-3 times i play Lawfull good character as Paladin in Baldur Gates. After that, i played Natural Good character, then recently i became a Lawfull Neutral human's female character in NWN. Sigh... I guess i finally show my sign turning toward dark side.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:11 pm
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I/my character do the best 'we' can to be law abiding but absolute success in this is very difficult. I don't steal from people's homes or merchants but have taken a few Guild/House items as Guild Quests. Don't kill innocents or taunt anyone who is not an 'enemy' (e.g. Camonna Tang) into attacking me. I don't loot ancestral tombs but as a High Elf who considers the binding of spirits in this world to be abhorrent, I free those spirits from this world. I support the Empire and it's organizations. I support the Thieves' Guild vs the Camonna Tang but prefer other approaches to stealing (e.g. buying a diamond, not stealing it). There are quests I won't do (e.g. get the ever popular Code Book) because it will help a faction I oppose and/or hurt a faction I support. I do not buy/sell/steal Skooma but will use moon sugar for alchemical purposes (opiates for heroin is bad; opiates for morphine to help people deal with intense pain is not). I haven't decided where I stand with respect to the Temple, the Fighters' Guild or any of the Great Houses. Am thinking about looking into the Morag Tong but suspect this may lead to moral dilemmas pretty quickly. Which gets to what I really like about this game - there are a lot of moral choices to be made and this adds great depth to the role playing aspects of the game. So I try to play a lawful character as much as possible and feel guilt whenever I rationalize some action which steps over the line.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:57 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I play a straight as a dye Imperial who totally obeys Imperial Law. He never steals and only kills in self defense. It is made easier as I have only joined the Imperial Legion and Imperial Cult.

I thought that not stealing would make the game tough but to be honest with quests and fights you end up with enough money anyway (and that warm fuzzy feeling that you earned it )

.... my other char however pinches everything that isn't bolted down (and if it is she gets her screwdriver out )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:09 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

My caracter has this attitude:

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:57 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

as a televanni mage i follow the televanni way: might makes right in mw. this requires my mage to take whatever he can & if an npc can't hold to it...they didn't deserve to have it in the first place. it is not theft, it is placing an item in the hands of someone who can hang on to it. it is not murder...it is gleaning the weak from the strong. the deserving will rise while all others are doomed to fade into the nothingness where they belong . all hail house televanni!
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:49 pm