Gothic NPC model editing help required
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Evil Ash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic NPC model editing help required

I've downloaded the SDK, and I've scourged for plugins, and I've dug for tutorials. I havn't been able to find any way to successfully import an NPC model from Gothic into a program such as 3D Studio Max.

The SDK provided all the meshes in 3DS format, but none of them were of character models. Specifically, I need to import the model used for Gomez (and his head) into 3D Studio Max 5.

I already know all about texturing, and I've read some threads on this forum that I thought would help for modelling, but they seem to only complicate the issue. I've now heard of ASCII files used for models, or is that specifically animations? Where do these files come from? Also, I can't even seem to find the meshes of Gomez or other characters in the meshes VDF. I've found files in the animations VDF, but those are just animations... right?

Somebody please shed some light on this for me, I'm lost.
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:35 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hello Evil Ash,

Welcome to the boards,

I am no expert but i have messed about a bit, i take it you have the Goman program for reference?
and also the vdfs.exe tool to explode or build, and can you speak German because it does help (i can't speak a word of German and had to learn for myself, where to begin? - - - briefly any of the head meshes, "skins" if you like, will fit over the relevent model, but they will "stretch" .
The head of Gomez is HUM_HEAD_V85_C1_C-TEX it will fit over the default compiled anim file which are of the .MDM format, the heads are of various types, there is the fighter head, HUM_HEAD_FIGHTER.MMB, fatbald, etc' , Psionic, pony (which is pc-hero's head) bald,
so, in a nutshell an npc is made up of several torso's, slim,medium,big, then one of several heads is linked, (as mentioned) then the relevent mesh wich is actually the shape, the colours and patterns as you know can be manipulated, then there is applied the relevant animation overlay,
of generally the HUM type, but other can be "played" with.

I found out the hard way that only the correct version of studio max can be used with the gothic
files, they are not backward compatible, 3ds max 4.2, I have ver/ 5 but cannot be used with Gothic.

Look first at Nico's site and see what is available. http://www.bendlins.de/nico/
Also look at Wiki devmode, if you can speak German or as i did read between the lines
http://wiki.devmode.de/
Hope there is enough info's here to "just get you started" - - let us know how you get on.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:34 am
Evil Ash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you for your help, Wulf.

Upon inspection of Nico's site, I've notice the only available plugins are for the .3DS and .ZEN format. The Gothic Development Kit came with a vast collection of meshes in 3DS format, as I mentioned, but none of them are of the actual human bodies. As for the ZEN format, I'm pretty sure those are just the worlds/maps.

I have found the .MMB and .MDM files, but there seems to be no way to import these files into any program let along 3D Studio Max. Also, do these files contain geometry data, or just biped/animation data? Is there a way to convert them to a more manageble format? Perhaps Goman and the VDF tool have features that I am not aware of?

You're provided me some pieces to the puzzle, and I thank you, but I can't quite complete it yet.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:50 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Evil Ash,

I understand exactly what you say, i did not go beyond the modelling bit.
The "bones" animation info is all contained within the data for that model.
I am unsure of what you want to do, there are many ways to manipulate the data.
Have you considered "milkshape" there are some facilities for that at the Wiki.devmode site,
The Zen file is the supreme manipulation method, it will enable/disable add and subtract any gothic weapon, inventory item, quantity, armour, the torso, the head shape, all of the meshes, any of the overlays or attitudes, is this not sufficient for your needs, (but only if contained within the actual game) are you contemplating actual modding?
Goman is the best tool for importing/exporting any graphical mesh, i used it all the time, all of the Gothic II npc meshes are fully exchangeable with Gothic.
Why do all that re-modelling when you can interchange - exchange every attribute possible by editting the zen file, (using marvin mode hero export, import command?) - - unless you are making a new "mod" ?
I do know that "Horn-ox" and "Zonk" are among the kinds of people who are well into the info you require.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:20 am
Evil Ash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay... I've been fiddling with Spacer and Goman, and I've skimmed the WIKI...

None of it is what I need. The only plugins for Milkshape are for 3DS files. I tried doing a "hero export" while I was Gomez, and it exported a ZEN file. I opened that up using Spacer, but there is no mesh data within that. And if there is, there is no way to export it.

I am looking to physically alter the 3D mesh of a player model (the MDM format, if I'm not mistaken) not just resize it or switch it with another or exchange properties. I want to be able to physically re-model the models from Gothic.

Your help is greatly appreciated, and I've alost got what I came for. I now know exactly what I need, and that is to be able to import an MDM into a 3D editing program, or convert the MDM to a format that can.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:40 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Evil Ash,

Your going beyond the boundaries where i left off, it is a very interesting and most rewarding subject.

Good luck with your project, maybe quickly have a look at Zonk's site here:-
http://www.zonksoft.de/ he can be contacted there, he is also a member of these forums, i have used his babeV2 mod, and bald head mod.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:14 pm
Evil Ash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah, my thanks. It appears he has done exactly what I am trying to do with his Elf head model. I have sent him an e-mail.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:37 am
Zonk
City Guard
City Guard

Hi Ash
It is a long time since i did my gothic modeling.
I think there is no way to reimport Models beside static 3ds out of Gothic !
But Piraha relaised some 3Dmax Models i used to make the Babe, a Armor and Elf-head.
Now I have to search for this files.

http://www.zonksoft.de/Bilder/Gothic/Animation.zip

http://www.zonksoft.de/Bilder/Gothic/Rustung.zip

http://www.zonksoft.de/Bilder/Gothic/Kopfe.zip

ZonkSoft
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:43 pm
Evil Ash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you very much for you help. Although this is dissapointing news, it's comforting to have a final answer. Thank you both for your time, and thanks for the download links. Time to move on and get down to work.

Here's to hoping somebody cracks the format.
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:58 pm
Black Daemon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Firstable, I`m no moddeler but i`ll tell you what i know.
You can find a .max file of the female human body in your sdk(g1).
If you want to import armor into 3dsmax get this files, http://devmode.de/download/gmdk-asc_armor.zip, http://devmode.de/download/g2mdk-asc_armor.zip. With this plugin your able to import them into 3dsmax, http://psychotic-dreams.de/data/projecte/g2mod/gothic_asciiimp.zip .
The plugin imports only the mesh, no bipeds or animations, if you edit the mesh and want import it to gothic you have to attach it to the body in the .max file. Ok i haven`t much experience on this, try scripting thats my world

Sorry for my bad english, be sure it isn`t my first language
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:48 pm