NWN: Pirates of the Sword Coast - Premium Module Now Availab
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

NWN: Pirates of the Sword Coast - Premium Module Now Availab

BioWare have announced that the latest 'Neverwinter Nights' premium module 'Pirates of the Sword Coast' is now available for purchase from their <a href="http://store.bioware.com/products/pirates.html" target="_blank">online store</A> (at US$ 9.99).<blockquote><em>A tale of pirates, parrots, and peril! As a sailor aboard the Midnight Rose merchant ship, you've stopped in Neverwinter to gather supplies before a long trip south. A most peculiar course of events follows, slowly unraveling a plot of whale-sized proportions. Embark on a swashbuckling journey on the high seas. Polly want adventure?</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:53 am

With all due respect to Bioware, but for that price I can find one of two great games to buy on the "bargain bin".

Games like:

Deus Ex
Arcanum
No One Lives Forever (and it's sequel)
Ghostmaster
(...)
and many more

Isn't it asking too much to charge that for a single module, one that you have to connect to the internet every time you want to play?
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:56 am

And the real funny thing is that those modules are based on a crap engine. The same assets are in virtually every one with the occaisonal addition of sharks (*snicker*). All the modules use the same character system too - which is a bad implementation of a bad table top system. Why consistently pay 10 bucks a pop for ametuerish modifications of a poor game? Bleh, makes no sense to me. It seems the cRPG market has gone to hell and this is all thats left for us.
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:48 am

Gidget

The price keeps going up for each one they release. I guess they figure X people bought it at $7, so let's raise the price. I think $10 is way too high for this type of thing.

I have seen NWN (original) going for around $15. They are just getting greedy and milking the game and engine for all it's worth.

The sad thing is that I'm sure many people wil buy it even at $10.

Then they will try for $12
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 am

orangefruitbat

So what?

If people enjoy Bioware's product, they'll buy it. I've got no problem with that. I'm happy that Bioware is still producing stuff for NWN. Personally, I haven't gotten through all the material in my platinum box set nor a number of fan-based adventures. But if I'm still enjoying NWN, then I'll consider the module (of course, I'll wait for reviews as well).

While NWN's orginal campaign was lacking, Hordes of the Underdark was pretty good. NWN isn't perfect and it's hardly my favorite game, but what other RPG products are out there right now? Dungeon Lords? It's a long time to Oblivion, Gothic 3 or Dragon Age. (And I've already played Arcanum, TOEE, Gothic I,II, Morrowind, Dues Ex, etc...).
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:48 pm

Lucky Day

In antipication of this Bioware released the PotSC hak pak for players free of charge. It includes a number of sounds and models.

This content will be included with a later patch just like they included the music with the three other premium modules they released. (those songs are quite good).

Say what you like but Bioware is still supporting a game three years after its release. I won't buy the premium mods myself but it funds its continued development and support.

Also what should be mentioned is Stefan Gagne's coda HeX (sic) 01 has been released. This was a mod that was intended as premium content but was nixed by WotC for not being Forgotten Realms. Its getting great reviews. I've played and finished and I ahve never had so much fun with a single player NWN module before.

I hope RPGDot can make an announcement and a review of it.
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:52 pm

Lucky Day

here's a breakdown of potsc's additional conent as contained in the hak. hopefully most, if not all of this content will be in patch 1.67.

my one guess is its released as a public beta before it becomes official material

quote:

Armor Models - 122 (Human male, female both phenotypes hook hands and peg legs)
2 feet (213 and 214)
2 hands (209)
1 shin (218 and 219)

Inventory Icons - 5
2 misc medium (150 and 151)
1 misc small (100)
2 misc thin (100 and 101)

Loadscreens - 20 (a number of really good tilsets.)

Creature Models - 19
Parrot
Ooze (7) - Multiple size varieties
Sahuagin (3) - Very cool.
Seagull (3) - Flying, walking and what appears to be a redundant flying...
Shark (3) - Mako, Gobin, Hammerhead
Troglodyte (2) - These arent new models, but are reskins. (if you'vew played through the game, you will notice Utnal and Garm are not standard colors)

Placeable Models - 78 - Bunch of cool things here, few trees, rustic placeables, fountain, and a bunch of undersea stuff. The player wind enabled kelp is pretty cool, im guessing thats DLA stuff.

Portraits - 99 (not all portraits have all five sizes)
Various Creatures - 11
Placeables - 72
Female Elf - 2
Male Elf - 2
Male Gnome - 1
Human Female - 3
Human Male - 6
Humanoid Monsterous Male - 1
Humanoid Reptilian Male - 1

Sound Files - 99 - These appear to be a few things, in addition to some misc game audio the bulk of it is VO.

City Exterior Tiles - 35 - Boats, multiple configurations

You missed the rural tileset which now has boats as well, also there is a 3X3 wrecked ship(which is the one rtrifts pointed out in his screenshot) as a part of the desert tileset.

Castle Interior Tiles - 1 - no idea what this is.

Other Tileset Tiles (guessing based on file name)
tdt - 173 - tdt appears to be the "sea caves" tileset.
ttz - 472 - ttz seems to be a tropical reskin of rural, though it has alot more tiles. Both sand and grass equivalents as well as of course the boats and a lighthouse.

Visual Effect Models - 12 - Again, no idea.

Weapons
Club - 5 and 6 - Looks like a rough wooden club
Quarterstaff - 5 - Gnarled staff
Short Spear - 1 to 4 (bottom only) - What they did is add a new topper to the short spear, which is the trident you mentioned.

Good Gaming

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:14 am

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
And the real funny thing is that those modules are based on a crap engine. The same assets are in virtually every one with the occaisonal addition of sharks (*snicker*). All the modules use the same character system too - which is a bad implementation of a bad table top system. Why consistently pay 10 bucks a pop for ametuerish modifications of a poor game? Bleh, makes no sense to me. It seems the cRPG market has gone to hell and this is all thats left for us.

AMEN, i mean, the graphics were, imo, already ugly when the game was released (3 years ago). But for some reason, it was hyped by all gaming-mags, and probably by people who liked the D&D movie.

But I wonder for what rea$on the mag$ all prai$ed it into heaven ? All tho$e intelligent, independent people ? hmmm$$$$ ....
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:14 pm