Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 - not before May 2nd (and maybe later)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
sfar200213
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Release

Gothic 2 was released nearly 4 months ago. If the game is released in May, the graphics are going to be slightly outdated. This means lower review scores (english mags are big on graphics). If the game would have been released in Jan or Feb, maybe it would get higher scores, but with the GeForce FX, and some very high quality graphic games, gothic 2 is going to look average. WHY JOWOOD?!?..........you battys
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:22 pm

Too bad.. In Q4'2002 I was anticipating to spend long winter evenings playing G2, just like I did a year ago. There was plenty of time to make this simple wish come true, but JW blew it.. I have less interst for the game now (even so I might pick it up from the bargain-bin), only curiosity is still strong: what is going on with G2? Any chance PB will comment on this situation?
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:21 pm

TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

G2 Delay

They must just not WANT to make money! Oh well, I'm sure I'll still buy it, I just won't be beating my feet to the store the day it's released.

Of course, I suppose I could look at the fact that if it doesn't come out until this Fall, I'll have my new system built and can play it with everything maxed out, but I'd still rather have it earlier.

The folks at PB must be disappointed about the the whole situation as well. I mean, you spend a couple of years making a game, finish it and send it to your publisher and months later it's still not released in most of the world. Where's the satisfaction in that?
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:24 pm
Wyvern

I'm tempted to download the english version of G2 when it comes out and send the equivalent purchase price (minus postage and handling ) straight to PB in an unmarked envelope saying Money For Gothic 2

PB deserve our support ... JoWood has lost mine. If we all sent our G2 purchase price to straight to PB so they get all the revenue maybe they can attract a better publisher for G3 !!?!
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:47 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

hmm gothic, that name sounds familiar, i just dont know where i heard it before, oh well...
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:23 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Korzen
I wonder what will happen with gothic2 on Xbox, somewhere I saw it should be ready by the end of 2003, yeah right

Gothic 2 was never announced for consoles. Gothic was announced for the NGC and XBox, but both were supposedly cancelled last year, when XiCat dropped the publishing of the game for them.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:51 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

What I don't get, is why they don't say what the problem is. It should be the same exact code and graphics, with the voices and names changed. So what is taking so long?

If I was PB, I would break all ties with JoWood ASAP.

If I was JoWood, I would be embarrassed.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:01 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I think what takes so long is the decsision when, how and with which marketing efforts G2 will be released. Before the restructuring JoWooD was weak in the international markets. Now, with less than half the staff, they are incapable of action.
The best thing JoWooD could do IMO is end their failed distribution efforts and sublicense their games to other publishers who at least can secure _some_ market penetration.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:20 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Thanks for the info Llama.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:42 pm
cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, I really pity PB in this. They have shown that they can made great games and yet here they are, stuck with a lousy publisher who hamper the distributions of their games. With proper marketing, they could have gone much futher by now. If I were them, the next new game I make will an entirely new series with a new publisher as I think Jowood holds the right to gothic.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:58 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

They sold the rights to Gothic to Koch Media AFAIK. Not sure which countries are included in the deal though. Gorath?
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:08 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

JoWooD only gave the distribution to Koch Media, together with more than a dozen other titles. Publishing for G2 remains at JoWooD. For several other titles itīs more complicated ...

We can only speculate who has the rights for the names 'Gothic', 'Gothic 2' and 'Gothic 3'.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Llama

Gothic 2 was never announced for consoles. Gothic was announced for the NGC and XBox, but both were supposedly cancelled last year, when XiCat dropped the publishing of the game for them.

Do you have anything to back this up? When did Xicat cancel or drop what?

The JoWooD CEO was quoted in some newspapers with plans to port their most successful game ever - Gothic II - to the XBox. If this is still valid is on a different sheet of paper. Maybe he was just doing some namedropping when talking to possible investors.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:10 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:
Originally posted by Llama

Do you have anything to back this up? When did Xicat cancel or drop what?

The JoWooD CEO was quoted in some newspapers with plans to port their most successful game ever - Gothic II - to the XBox. If this is still valid is on a different sheet of paper. Maybe he was just doing some namedropping when talking to possible investors.

...*sigh*

Xbox games list you'll see Gothic is gone from the Xbox listing, that's the official release list for the console, and Gothic was on there last year. You'll also see that Gothic 2 is not on that list.

Nintendo's game listing for the GC, and Gothic was also on there last year.

Here you'll see another Xbox games listing that has neither Gothic or Gothic 2 on it. IGN updates their stuff constantly.

Official Xbox games list, on the official page also shows no listing for Gothic or Gothic 2.

Most news sites didn't even post that big of a message when Gothic was canned for the consoles, I only remember reading a little blurb on Nintendo's website, all the others just removed it from their game listings pages.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:18 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Last year JoWooD's marketing and PR manager told me they were going to release Gothic II for consoles. Well, she's not with JoWooD anymore... who knows what'll happen...
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:28 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next