Spector on Games Narrative
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Spector on Games Narrative

Warren Spector has given a speech on narrative in games at GDC, with a synopsis <a href="http://xbox.ign.com/articles/502/502409p1.html" target="_blank">reported</a> at Gamespy:<blockquote><em>He revealed an intriguing struggle here. For Spector, open-endedness is not the be-all, end-all. As a story design widens out to a free-form system, he argues, the "emergent narrative" (story that's partially created by the player, rather than completely designed by the developer) ends up with a relative lack of direction and emotional resonance. There are fewer exciting, "holy crap" moments, since the narrative can't be designed as easily to flow towards those moments as effectively. Meanwhile, the "tyranny of choice," as he puts it, can threaten to make the player freeze up because they're simply given too many options for things to do and places to go. The player doesn't know the particular rules are of the game--what he or she can get away with, what the long-term repercussions are of "bad" behavior, and the rewards of "good" behavior.</em></blockquote>Agree or disagree?
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:29 pm

this guy let out so much crap lately - who the hell cares what he thinks?
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:31 pm

lightningtree

subjective defect

NP-complete, replanning is.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:25 am

he's right. look how boring Morrowind was because it had no focus
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:20 am

BCO_Prowler
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*agrees with the guest above*

I mean, who cares that games like Morrowind and Sacred (two that I can easily name of the top of my head) have a main plotline that is central to the game, yet also has a near infinite amount of branching plotlines that spread out in so many directions, yet come back together at the end in a very free-form, yet altogether logical and very story-like finale.

Honestly, games like this should never be produced. After all, why would gamers want the best of both a story-driven, linear plotline and hundreds of freeform quests, I ask you?

Spector is so full of hot air, bullshit and is so goddamn clueless that it's a freaking wonder to me that a software developer actually still keeps him working.

Oh wait, Eidos did...Nevermind, they're a bunch of f**kwads too anyhoo.

*rant mode off*

Pardon the crude language.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:56 am