Usergroups
Crashes,Access violations.got'em all
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
silvermoon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

game load fine,after 2 minutes or less playing game it either feeze the whole computer or give me error message{access violation}just upgraded memory from 126 to 512 just to play this game seems like $140 down the drain.Unless someone can fix it.Piranah is useless.
Window Me
AthlonAmd 906mhz
graf card nvidia vanta021
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:20 pm

I'm getting an exception with MSS32.DLL consistently now that I've gone further into the game. It took almost 4 hours of gameplay before I started getting the error. Now it happens everytime I'm talking with a named peasant in the New City. Guess I could avoid him, but I'm not sure if he's important, like Horatio was.
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:51 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

@silvermoon:
I saw your other thread(s).

You can find out the DirectX version if you run a program named DxDiag. If the version is below 8.0 you have to install a newer version.

The info about the sound card is still missing.

@Anon: Change the sound provider to DirectSound and reboot. Which NPC?
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Install DirectX 8. It should be on the Gothic CD.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:32 am
silvermoon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thank you for your help.But no direcx8 on gothic cd.Will take game bk tomorow,Where else can i get directx 8 Please????
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:57 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Microsoft, or almost any file site. Update your drivers when you change your DX vers. too!
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:30 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

You really should consider upgrading that graphics card. The system memory is huge but that gfx card is crap, it'll make it hard to run almost any modern game. Windows ME is a rubbish OS, its a cause for about half the problems when it crashes. Please listen to gorath as the sound cards can cause a world of hurt when they have buggy or outdated drivers. Also you fail to mention whether you have any programs running in the background, this too can cause all sorts of problems.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:36 am
silvermoon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you guys for all the help you provided me Will do necessary upgrades.By the waty ,there were no program running on background ,even disabled Norton for all intented purposes.Will let you know how it goes ty again
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:13 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, update the graphics card. Even an upgrade to a GeForce2 Pro/Ti 64MB, which is relatively cheap nowadays, should double your overall gaming speed.
The sound chip could also be critical (at least for Gothic). Itīs an onboard chip, I guess.

A DirectX8 should be on CD2.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:38 pm