RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Most underrated and overrated RPGS

don't know there's already this topic, but my choices are:

UNDERRATED - Albion- one of my favorite games, and no ones cared about
evil islands- very difficult, but otherwise a very good and original game
vampire: the masquerade-redemptiion-great graphics and storyline

OVERRATED-maybe arcanum.just because many people liked it and i thought it was plain bad. i'm sure most people will say dungeon siege, but i didn't played that one..
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:58 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Underrated: Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption

Overrated: Dungeon Siege

This Topic have been alredy opened. Visit these links:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45320

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45290
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:12 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Ah, Nobody, but my topic was games in general, and this topic is just concerning RPGs.

Underrated: Gothic, very underappreciated here in the U.S.

Overrated: Diablo, all it really is is hack'n'slash.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:46 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Underated: Gothic

Overrated: Every other stinkin rpg released these days (morrowind, Neverwinter nights, diablo etc)
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:43 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Overrated - I currently had a chance to play Planescape Torment, and find nothing interesting in it. It really dissappointed me, and I don't see any reason for the so much hyped underration of the game.
- Dungeon Siege - it really disappointed me. I expected something more that the game, from just clicking around following my character/s. And while Diablo was fun hacking and slashing everything around, DS was not.
Underrated - Arcanum - it is one of the best RPGs ever, with such complex things, that I havent seen anything like them since then, and probably still won't see until Troika deside to make a sequel.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:09 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Give planescape torment time.

Its actually like a great movie.

The opening confuses you. And then somewhere near the end it all makes sense.

I cant say enough that its one of the greatest games ever. Im not sure how I felt about it at first but I wasnt really into it until oh say my dude was around level um.... 6 or so.

Its not overratted its on everyones top ten games ever for a reason I promise.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:04 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

You are wrong - I liked it in the middle. But exactly when the game was about to reach its potential - after Ravel's maze - it got absolutely boring. at that point it started to offer too much combat - which is not a good idea, as combat is tragical in this game - and the story, which promised to be good, never realized it's potential. We didn't even get to know the Zombie we were playing with's name. We never even found out even a quater of the things Ravel mentioned about our companions. Also, the game is quite short - Shadows of Amn offered at least 3 times more real gameplay, and also comes on 4 CD's. The grafics are tragical - even for 1999, the only really good looking thing in the game are the spells, but I consider putting this in the drawbacks, as on an average PC for that time (P2200MHz, 64 MBRAM, 2MB grafiks card - I played it now on such a thing) I am experiencing numerous unknown problems, crashes, and so on. And I liked the spell animations (like the one for the rune of torment), but it slows the already slow gameplay by pausing the game ... which goes for all spells, and soimetimes I just ended up casting a spell, sit back to enjoy the view(I really liked the way they have animated Fire and Ice) , when I found out that the game wasn't even paused! So I just got killed and had to reload ... Needless to say, there are so many bugs, that I have to consider buying 2 bottles of RAID to killed them off, as the official patch, and the unofficial one didn't help much ...
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:19 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
Underated: Gothic

Overrated: Every other stinkin rpg released these days (morrowind, Neverwinter nights, diablo etc)

Whoa, whoa whoa! Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind are GREAT!! Neverwinter Nights is my favorite game, period. I also recently had the chance to play Morrowind, and the sense of immersion blew me away!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:24 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Underrated: Planescape:Torment
Overrated: Dungeon Siege

@Lady Armageddona: You did patch PST? After I did that I didn't encounter any bugs anymore. Especially the one where the game gets slower and slower over time. And I found out alot about my companions. All you need to do is keep on talking to them.
As to the CD's, BG2 uses a modified Infinity engine where all the big files (like the areas) are zipped on the CD's. PST didn't have that feature. So actually if BG2 didn't had that feature either the game would have been 6 or 7 cd's.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:55 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I certainly did not find PS-T a short game. If you do all the side quests, explore everywhere and talk to your NPC's all the time, there is so much richness in the game, nothing can match it. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games I have played more than once and PS-T is one of them.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:04 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

You can learn the Nameless one’s name, but you have to have very high intelligence and wisdom. Luckily it’s right before the end so you can level up on the greater shadows to raise your stats.
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:34 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I know, but what I LEARNED is that the Nameless One got his name, BUT HE NEVER SHARED IT WITH ME.
Oh, as I sad I patched it - first with the official patch, and then again on Sorcerers.net I found an unofficial patch, which patches the version with the official patch. But it still has lots of bugs.
And the game is still quite short - Icewind Dale 2 is quite longer, and I replayed it several times, mainly as it promted me to at least try out all of the game's classes and races. But as far as I am concerned, Torment doesn't - basically I felt no difference between playing fighter or mage - I started out as fighter, got bored (basically all my companions are fighter), then at level 7 I switched to mage, but then I casted spells only from time to time - mailnly because they are useless (read in my previous post why I say that, I don't wanna repeat myself), and only because at some point I got eager to check out the spells, as they are the 2nd most beutiful thing in the game (the first thing being grace). The story is not bad, but it is definalely infinished (I mean that there is quite enough content for an expansion, but who knows the reason that it never got out).
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:24 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Planescape Torment: It got a longer twisting story: Man wakes up, don't know his name and have holes in his memory, At the end he find his name and saves half the world on a side note. Sorry that worn story no longer appealed to me as PST was released, maybe if it was released 10 years earlier. Every other aspect in PST (Combat, characters (development), Gameworld immersiveness, graphics, manipulation etc.) was under mediocre imho.

Most underrated: Wizardry 8, Gothic 1
Most Overrated: Baldurs gate 1
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:48 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

My words exactly - by that time, personal quest were not intersting.
Btw, the so much hyped good interaction with party members - well it is not that good. The romances in Baldur's Gate 2 are an example fotr much better charachter interaction.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:05 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

*shrugs* It's a good thing all of us don't like the same games. They all would look alike then.
I can probably name games that do things better for every single aspect in PST. One game does that better, the other game does that better etc. etc.
For me there just isn't a single game that does all the things better.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:54 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next