Usergroups
GRIMOIRE: Latest Update on the Beta Test
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm not interested in Grimoire so I am posting this for accuracy and as an RPGDot staff member.

I think Corwin is seeing the "vaporware" label differently - we know the game exists, so the debate gets muddied by those that think it is fake.

quote:
The indie CRPG community is rather close knit. All these folks are "in it together", and I find it hard to believe grimiore is just that one indie RPG that none of the other folks acknowledge.

Now, you can hoot, holler, scream, complain, and throw silly rantings out that all seemingly point to the contrary, but speaking as someone who once worked on such a project long ago, I think I know what I'm talking about.

Really, this is a strange comment to make. I'm sure there are some indie developers that enjoy a sense of community but it certainly isn't universal. Who are the "folks"? Other sites? Other developers? I can point out a thousand indie projects that go unnoticed and I can point out just as many that have a profile but just don't attract much comment. Where are the posts about CrossCut's Dungeon Delvers? Who else covers Omega Syndrome other than RPG Codex? Did anyone blink over Voyager? I don't actually know what you mean at all.

quote:
If this game is ever released, fully playable, the devil will be wearing mittens. I think someone on RPGdot is getting paid to hock the game...or someone here is one of the contributors.

We cover a lot of games that won't get released. So? Corwin is simply trying to do what this site is all about: post news on cRPG projects. The Grimoire site has been updated...Corwin posted the news. Simple. Just as we do for a hundred other projects, some of which won't get released. The idea of payments is so silly I won't press the issue.

So, do you want as complete coverage as we can provide or just the popular stuff?
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:55 am

but you also have a function called "news comment", so let us comment and occasionally laught at grimoire

i think no serious person would really get upset by any news about grimoire. its just a funny show to watch, sometimes with a little drama thrown in.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:30 pm

crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
but you also have a function called "news comment", so let us comment and occasionally laught at grimoire

i think no serious person would really get upset by any news about grimoire. its just a funny show to watch, sometimes with a little drama thrown in.

This is the way I feel about Grimoire as well. Until it is released, this is a game/designer to make gentle fun about. Cleve is over the top, so every failing is just amusing to those of us who have been waiting for the game for so long.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:00 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well it's a bit inaccurate to imply that Grimoire gets unnoticed by other sites. It's actually a fairly widely known and extremely infamous game. Grimoire and Cleve are cleary even known by alot of the main stream computer gaming sites. However by now most of these sites have accepted the fact that Grimoire is unlikely to ever come out, and have stopped reporting on it. This is pretty much the only site I've ever seen that thinks it's still on the verge of coming out(and even then only by a small minority). Perhaps that minority is right, and everyone else is wrong. I'd say that time will tell, but even 20 years from now if Grimoire is still unpublished, there will still be people swearing up and down that it's a real game and will be published in the next few months.

The key thing is that this announcement is really no different then any of the others over the past several years saying that the game was done except for a few things that needed to be fixed.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:51 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery_Guy
You have to admit, this is funny.

Common sense tells you that (no screenshots + strangely "boilerplated" updates by the designer + no real acknowledgement of the game by any other RPG site + overall community apathy = vaporware)

The indie CRPG community is rather close knit. All these folks are "in it together", and I find it hard to believe grimiore is just that one indie RPG that none of the other folks acknowledge.

Now, you can hoot, holler, scream, complain, and throw silly rantings out that all seemingly point to the contrary, but speaking as someone who once worked on such a project long ago, I think I know what I'm talking about.

If this game is ever released, fully playable, the devil will be wearing mittens. I think someone on RPGdot is getting paid to hock the game...or someone here is one of the contributors.

Thousand of screenshots have been released over the years. Hundreds of people have played the beta version, thousands have played the alpha version.

There was never any question of whether or not the game existed and was in a fairly advanced state. The question was whether or not it would ever be finished.

I think RPGDot likes to promote this game because they've played the beta version and are convinced it could be completed. Since there is a big dearth of turn-based RPGs, I can see why they would be interested in getting it completed so people could play it.

The game is, after all, largely the product of a single person working with some subcontractors. A game bigger than Wiz 7 would be a challenge for ten people, for one guy working alone it would be a herculean task. It's not hard to imagine why it might take so long.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:32 pm

What! Didn't this game come out in 1997, I could have sworn the developer said this:

"At the moment, we are planning to release our Alpha 1.16 on April 29th,
1997 at this site for public review and to get some feedback. The game
should be fully functional in all respects. It will feature a small dungeon
and forest area for testers to explore and get some feeling for the
gameplay present in Grimoire.

The public beta should be released in the early part of June, 1997 and the
uncrippled, fully playable shareware version will be available on the 1st of
September in 1997 for anyone to download and play.

How much of the game is finished right now?

The game engines are 95% completed at this time. The artwork is 60%, sound &
music 10%. We are making remarkably rapid progress and expect to achieve all
the deadlines we have set for ourselves. We are not amateurs at the business
of software development and would not be wasting your time by putting up
this web page if we were less than confident about releasing the game on
time. We despise developers who miss deadlines and promote games before they
are even certain if they can finish them probably even more than you do."

I mean, he's a professional, he knows what he's doing, he's not wasting our time so the game must have come out in 1997, right?
Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:00 am

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Yeah, that was the old DOS version, this is the NEW, improved Windows version!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:55 pm

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Yeah, that was the old DOS version, this is the NEW, improved Windows version!!

Oh, so the DOS version was released in 1997?
Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:59 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2