The State of PC RPGs @ IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The State of PC RPGs @ IGN

PC.IGN has kicked up a 6-page article on the <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/633/633762p1.html" target="_blank">state of the PC RPG</a>. Part history, part observation and part commentary, readers will undoubtedly see many things differently (I scratched my head on Planescape: Torment's biggest feature, for example) but there are some interesting points. Here's an early snip:<blockquote><em>Most people tend to associate RPGs with sword-swinging maidens in chainmail bikinis and doddering old white-bearded mages in robes spattered with owl poop. While the high fantasy setting is certainly the stock background for most RPGs, an RPG is defined not by its content but by its manner of presentation. To be a true RPG, a game must contain three elements. First, it should offer up an interactive story in which the player takes a vital part. Second, RPGs must allow for character growth that's driven by a player's choices or actions. Finally, RPGs must be built upon a system of rules and statistics that are used to resolve the events that take place in the world.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The reviewer has obviously never even played planescape...

>>More significantly, Knights of the Old Republic offered a level of moral flexibility never before seen in any game.

You have got to be f'in kidding me. Clicking on one of 2 dialog options is not f'in "moral flexibility". Fallout2 offered far more moral flexibility.

>>According to PC RPGs, you'd hardly think that thieves could ever be capable of much more than simply stabbing enemies in the back with poisoned blades. Building new RPGs that reward players who can spot and set traps, steal items from other characters, and use stealth as a significant component of success rather than a sideline, should be a huge priority for developers.

BG 1+2, IWD 1+2, Planescape, Wizardry. Nearly every rpg with a theif type character has all those options mentioned.

Last edited by bjon045 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:54 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

It read more like one guy's wish list, but still some interesting stuff. While he sums up the mainstream alright - focus on MMO's, but NWN2, Oblivion and Fable look good for single player - he ignores the importance of the small and independant RPG community. Where would we be in the last year without games like Fate, Restricted Area, Heretic Kingdoms, Mount & Blade, Boiling Point, and so on?

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:56 pm
ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045

>>More significantly, Knights of the Old Republic offered a level of moral flexibility never before seen in any game.

You have got to be f'in kidding me. Clicking on one of 2 dialog options is not f'in "moral flexibility". Fallout2 offered far more moral flexibility.

Aye, i was going to say the same thing, and don't you get the option to disregard all your moral dilemmas at the end anyway and choose good or evil? (my memory is a bit vague)

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:45 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Saw no mention of Gothic!! He also says 'where are the RPG's based on Chinese mythology?' Hasn't he seen Seal of Evil or the earlier Prince of Qin?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:30 pm