Usergroups
English&Geman
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yup, even the new The Witcher is getting a lot more attention that Gothic, despite it coming from a Polish company the size of PB(I have to admit that the game does indeed look great, but that's besides the point). Something is, and have always been, wrong about Gothics' international marketing I'm afraid.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:37 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yeah the witcher looks awesome im waiting for that game but it looks like its never comming out i mean there still working on it we see some previews and new shots but never anything about a release date it feels like Stalker pc game.

Why did PB make gothic 3 under jowood again cant they just switch to a different richer more popular and "reliable" publisher?
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:47 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
Why did PB make gothic 3 under jowood again cant they just switch to a different richer more popular and "reliable" publisher?

Maybe because a small developer hasn't got the luxury to just switch publishers and maybe because Jowood offered them a lot of money or because Jowood already had the publishing rights for future gothic games?
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:44 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I think JoWood secured that a long time ago. Truth be told, things weren't a whole lot better under Atari, which is a HUGE publishing company. Cult-games in general hardly get a lot of publicity, at least not upon release.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:03 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I bet it was a 2 game deal with JoWood, I used to think JoWood was very good, bringing many European games to life but now I see things very differently, sadly.

Not that I am an Atari fan or defending them, but the whole NotR problem with Atari was JoWood's fault.
JoWood promised Atari a patch to clean up the translations because Atari felt it was not good enough (just like they got for the Atari version of Gothic 2) and PB refused to do a patch cause they had started working on Gothic 3.
PB mentioned they did not have the man power to pull someone off Gothic 3 to work on Gothic 2 NotR patch.
Atari refused to release an unpatched version, so Atari sat on NotR and did nothing letting the contract expire.

Actually that hurt Atari as well not sure they had a great 2004 to 2005 year and probabaly would have loved to get hold of rights to upcoming blockbuster Gothic 3.

I wish PB had a better publisher, they deserve better, from what I have read these guys work long hard hours and work out of a house.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:31 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Do you have anything to back this up? This is the first time I hear this. So far we only knew that Atari changed their business model before G2 was released and basically lost every interest in the game.

Generally speaking "patches" are a critical topic. Patches cost time, which somebody has to pay for.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:02 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

This is interesting...The Atari-Jowood case always gets my attention.

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:04 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Do you have anything to back this up? "

Which part, not sure I understand what your asking?

That I think it was a 2 game deal with JoWood? or
That Atari refused to release NotR unpatched?

First was a guess, so I hope PB gets away from JoWood after Gothic3 and second about Atari, I read about the JoWood agreeing to a patch to fix broken dialogue just like Gothic 2 same deal, but PB said they could not pull anyone off they started Gothic 3.

If you are refering to the part about PB not doing the patch it was (almost positive) a translated (was in German orginally) interview I saw, maybe on WoG or another it has been at least 4-6 months since I have seen it.
It is also possible it was one of the rare English interviews that have been done in the last 6 months.

Not sure I inderstand what you mean about Atari changing their bussiness model?
Didnt Atari get the 2 game deal with JoWood, Atari was to distribute both Gothic 2 and NotR?
Clearly the only difference in the UK version and US version of Gothic 2 was the fixed/patched dialogue and some new copyprotection.
I own both versions and at least those are the only differnces I could find.
I thought the fixed dialogue was very well done and improved the game for me as an English speaker.

Edit;
Wait I think remember reading about Atari getting the 2 game deal, also (not a guess).
I post so late at night hard to remember, plus that was maybe a year ago.
I have different hours it is 6:30 am still have not been too bed yet, omg sun is gonna come up it will be ashes for me
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:35 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
"Do you have anything to back this up? "

Which part, not sure I understand what your asking?

Everything. Just about everything is new, so please show sources.

quote:

That I think it was a 2 game deal with JoWood? or
That Atari refused to release NotR unpatched?

First was a guess, so I hope PB gets away from JoWood after Gothic3

Speculation. We donīt know how much -if anything- of the Gothic franchise JoWooD bought when Phenomedia collapsed or how long the publishing deal runs.

quote:
and second about Atari, I read about the JoWood agreeing to a patch to fix broken dialogue just like Gothic 2 same deal, but PB said they could not pull anyone off they started Gothic 3.

Iīve never read anything like this. So far Atari has always denied any knowledge of the add-on. I didnīt hear an official by any involved party say something about patches.

quote:
If you are refering to the part about PB not doing the patch it was (almost positive) a translated (was in German orginally) interview I saw, maybe on WoG or another it has been at least 4-6 months since I have seen it.
It is also possible it was one of the rare English interviews that have been done in the last 6 months.

I usually read every interview and I didnīt see anything like this. Wouldnīt you suspect it would have initiated a vivid discussion?

quote:
Not sure I inderstand what you mean about Atari changing their bussiness model?
Atari is traditionally broke. One of their turn-around efforts included getting away from 3rd party publishing and distribution, at least for niche products. This explains their abysmal performance with G2 and their rumored refusal to release TNotR.
The first time I saw somebody who should know it write about JoWooD having the rights back was after the E3 2004.

quote:

Didnt Atari get the 2 game deal with JoWood, Atari was to distribute both Gothic 2 and NotR?
Publish and distribute.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Iīve never read anything like this. So far Atari has always denied any knowledge of the add-on. I didnīt hear an official by any involved party say something about patches.

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
I usually read every interview and I didnīt see anything like this. Wouldnīt you suspect it would have initiated a vivid discussion?

Same for me here. I'm obsessed with this game. No interview mention anything like this. This subject was always carefully dodged or bumped back by Jowood and PB.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:24 pm
Don-Esteban
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius

Sorry, but WoG has no interview with such content. It's the first time, I hear this patch story.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:50 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Wouldnīt you suspect it would have initiated a vivid discussion? "

Honestly didnt think twice about it, was not all that surprising to me and it makes sense logically too

"Atari is traditionally broke"

Knew they had a bad year but, I did not recall them being broke, you mean bankrupcy broke?
I thought JoWood was borke, maybe I am just not clear on "traditionally broke" meaning.

"Publish and distribute."

Thats what I meant, guess I wasnt clear.

Ok I will look for it, has been in the last 6 months for sure and was an interview with a PB employee.
Shouldnt not be to hard to find, not like PB give alot of interviews, unless I am losing my mind
It was definalty before I posted about the delay for Gothic 3 in this thread http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=579126

Edit
Added some comments late (almost 4am) didnt mean to ignore.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:24 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3