Wouldn't it be awesome if...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wouldn't it be awesome if...

an MMORPG of Gothic was made? Think about it! You'd join a camp and the other players in your camp could help you out and etc. You could form large hunting groups and kick some major monster but, and then distribute the spoils and etc. You could also form little attack groups to kick some of the other camps' guys arse-teriors! God that would be fun...

Sorry... just a thought...
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Wonderful. 2000 "Me"s running around.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:47 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of multiplayer-crap.. I love the fact that PB still produces good ol' singleplayer games where they don't spend a lot of time and energy on making it a multiplayergame..

If PB was going to make a multiplayer version, they would have to delay Gothic III, IV and V, just to produce it, and I wouldn't like that one bit - waiting 4-5 years for the next Gothic sounds like a nightmare to me..
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:05 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hehehe, Gothic MMORPG, it would prolly take 10 terrabyte of RAM if you consider how demanding Gothic is on ram compared to other games

As for the idea though, Shadowbane will be somewhat like that, players can choose to be villagers, shopkeepers etc instead of a hack and slash hero aka most other MMORPGs. Players can also get together and build whole cities from scratch. Then other players can come lay siege to that city etc. In theory it sounds really sweet anyway, but from what Ive heard from beta testers the game isnt very good, at least not graphically.

Im definatly gonna give it a try though.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:50 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
If PB was going to make a multiplayer version, they would have to delay Gothic III, IV and V, just to produce it, and I wouldn't like that one bit - waiting 4-5 years for the next Gothic sounds like a nightmare to me..

Not neccesserily..
Mp version would be substantially different from the original; I wouldn't be surprised it it were for two seperate games..
But, aw, they would probably hire more developers for the mp source, so it could mean the disencumberment(if this is really a word) of the sp crew..

I doubt they will even consider mp before, let's say, 4th sequel. And, that's if it remains as popular, or even gains on popularity.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:09 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

dream on
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:19 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by hoyp
dream on

it never hurt anybody, right..
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:22 pm
Srchbayne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by HWFanatiC
quote:
Originally posted by hoyp
dream on

it never hurt anybody, right..

Are you sure?
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:01 pm
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow... everyone's taking it the wrong way...

I just wanted to know if it would be cool if an online gothic was out right now... not if they had to stop all work on other games to make it or any of that crap you're going on with...

I honestly think it would be one of the best games of all time... a Gothic MMORPG that is...

Actually to tell you the truth... at least my first couple times through I really truly felt as if I were playing an MMORPG... cause of all the freedom you are given... that's why I and many others (I'm sure) really liked Gothic.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:35 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Why would we want a gothic with multiplayer anyway?, the NPCs in Gothic have such great AI that they are smarter then the average player anyway
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:40 pm
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Dybbuk
Why would we want a gothic with multiplayer anyway?, the NPCs in Gothic have such great AI that they are smarter then the average player anyway

Maybe so that people who have friends can play with them and share the adventure together... besides they still have NPCs in MMORPGs anyhow... just so you know.

Oh and the AI in Gothic is not that of an actual person... believe you me...
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:50 pm
Srchbayne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

@Taerdin: You have a lot of other MMORPGs(Ever Quest,AC,DAOC...),leave GOTHIC to be GOTHIC!!!
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:12 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

No it isn't, but to be honest, it's actually better than some people(boy have I met some weird people.. including myself perhaps )

The thing is - yes, it would be great if we could just get a multiplayer version WHAM in the shops, but I don't like the idea of PB spending their resources on an MP version instead of SP version.. too few good SP's out on the market today!
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:12 pm
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Srchbayne
@Taerdin: You have a lot of other MMORPGs(Ever Quest,AC,DAOC...),leave GOTHIC to be GOTHIC!!!

But I'm just saying Gothic already feels like an MMORPG... that IS what makes the game great... that feeling you get that all the NPCs are actual people! Having an MMORPG of Gothic is just allowing your friends to play with you... it would be amazing to fight side by side with your friends in the name of your camp... or just drinking some beers while grilling some meat... or going hunting in the forest and using the spoils to buy some weed so you can smoke the rest of the day away...

The possibilities are ENDLESS, and I would love to share any if not all of these types of activities with my pals.

And Gothic IS Gothic, but MMORPG Gothic is a gift straight from God!

Also, yes there are too few good SP RPGs for the PC... but isn't that what consoles are for... you know those handy little systems that can't really go online and therefore don't even have (many) MMORPGs? PCs have the internet... and if game developers can utilize this fine peice of technology to make amazingly imersive games like an online Gothic, then I would want them to...
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:36 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

"there are too few good SP RPGs for the PC... but isn't that what consoles are for.."

Well, I have to disagree.

There are many other good sp rpg's out there and there are MANY more to come.

I've played MANY console rpgs but IMHO they all suck except for a few exceptional one's. Console rpg's such as FF8 or 7 or whatever offer little or no freedom and most of them have imo an extremely boring combat system that requires no skill and little or no tactics.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next