Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Describe your various alter egos when role-playing...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Describe your various alter egos when role-playing...

Only few characters that stand out or i remember most:

1) Mad Max/Mad Dog - Guess which game i play with this character? Yep, the Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game.

From the name you can easily guess where i get my inspiration from, and the in-game character pretty much like crazy dog too: shotgun toting, reckless, adventurous, wild, tough, risk-taking kinda guy.

------------------------ imaginary conversations-------------------------

"Sorry Dogmeat, i can't remember how many times i accidently shot you instead the real target, eh?." *Mad Max Patting Dogmeat, his dog companion, passionately.*

"But it kinda fun though, eh? - ya never know who gonna shoot who when heavy gunfight going on, eh?."

*Dogmeat only stare at his master mournfully, then whine a little, and then continue licking his numerous wounds from Deathclaw attacks and among few, a shotgun wounds...*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) My another Fallout character (latest), name - Stone Wall (no spelling error). He is extremely tough but also extremely low on intelligence. In fact, he practically doesn't understand any human languages, although he is human himself. He can't think properly, his brain are jammed, and he is dangerous.

-----------------------------actual in-game conversations----------------------

Harry (the mutant): Hey! you not look like ghoul - how come?
Stone Wall: Uh?
Harry: Huh?
Stone Wall: Huh?
Harry: Whuh?
Stone Wall: Mom?
*End of conversation*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Joan Judithnofrio - This is my human female Paladin (or fighter, i'm not sure) character in original IceWind Dale couple years ago. Part of her name came from a historical figure and another part from a male actor.

Attitude: the very standard goody two-shoes, all business and no funny business, serious, and she means it.

Weapons: what else? - any huge mighty and holy Two Handed sword, to cleanse the world form evil corruptions.

----------------------------------------------------

4) Daria - A mage and female Breton in Morrowind.

Background: daughter of the great Red Wizard - Edwin. Yes, the very Edwin from Baldur's Gate series (I know, it make no sense).

Attitude: Don't like to get her hands dirty or her beautifull clothes ruined in combat, so she major/minor ranged destruction spells beside conjurations. You can see my screenshot of her in this thread http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12069&start=15

Favorite spells: fireball, of course.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:24 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hm hm, difficult topic. I have played so many RPG/CRPG characters over the last 21 years (and played games of so many different genres), but basically my RPG characters boil down to two archetypes:

1) the grim, silent, combat-oriented/violent character with a disregard for law and order, a heart for underdogs and a vitriolic streak:
Vicky Woodley (Merc:2000)
'Junior' (Twilight:2000)
Miss Steelhead (Fading Suns)
Gunther the Barbarian (Daggerfall)
Gunther the Barbarian (Morrowind)
DOO-U2 (Star Wars)
'Alien Chris' (Traveller)
Griff the Bouncer (MERP)
Crow (JA2)
and many more

2) the well-spoken, humorless, snobbish and sometimes even squeamish law-and-order person who may not look like it, but has some nasty tricks up his sleeve:
Jaz Tarn (Star Wars)
Sir Ennic (Daggerfall)
Iacintha Centruroides (Morrowind)
Major Triffet (Star Wars)
Dennesh Collie (Traveller)
and many more

Interestingly, a huge percentage of those folks are sticky-fingered, regardless of archetype .

There is, however, a third class which tends to appear in CRPGs only (I never played a corresponding character in a pen and paper RPG):

3) A weak-willed do-gooder who just can't say no, quite often magically oriented (if Fantasy). At least this was the case with:
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Arx Fatalis
Gothic 1 and 2
NWN
DS...
etc.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:14 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I prefer to play mages; why? It's something you can't do in RL. In games like Fallout though, I enjoy being a smart arsed,tough, my blaster is all I need guy. I rarely play females, since I just don't RP them well; probably too much stereotyping.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:10 am
Nocturnal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

dont know why but i always find myself creating the closest to a ranger the game can provide.

stealth (u´re hunting), bow, axe, and some form of nature magic, and always True Neutral (like in RL )
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:08 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

Long time no post!!!!!

well my characters usually consist of

1. Shadowwolfe... dark mysterious archer... likes to sneak and snipe from distance... usually aligned neutral with a bit of good and evil ... lots of charisma and endurance

2. Cloudskull... Keeper of the dwarves (although not dwarven himself) likes 2handed axe/warhammer... is aligned good usually ... has lots of charisma luck and strength (for those big axes)

both are human

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:50 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

In Gothic it's always slaughter them all and steal everything you can. There is no good or evil, just you. I tried to play with a mage but it was no fun.

In games like PS:T or Baldurs Gate I use thieves and sometimes mages ( or just mix them up ) I can't stand being chased by the law so I play with a neutral character or a good one, what doesn't stop me from stealling from everyone. I always send people like Minsc or Anomen to fight in the first line, while I use my bow. Sometimes I even send mages into melle combat before I decide to put down my range weapon and draw a sword.

In Morrowind it's a thief and once I played with a mage. I don't kill commoners and I try to keep my reputation as high as possible. Altough I don't mind killing an Ordinator who calls me "skum" and selling his armor. Wearing it in front of other ordinators and seeing them get annoyed is also fun.

My character names are rather strange, I just used up my imagination. Now they ushually depend on the first writing that I manage to spot after seeing the empty "Name box" and looking around my room. So my mage in BG1 was Samsung, a thief was Evian, someone was called Athlon, another guy went by the name of Nimo ( Codek pack )

Last edited by Korzen on Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:04 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Armyth Simplex: Warrior/Knight Generaly starts out as a good person, but its a goodness impressed on him by family and friends, and once he 'finds' himself he often becomes power hungery and evil.
Leather the Shade (Someone else give her the name): Absolutely evil and power hungery. Defines knowledge as things that increase her power, so seeks to maxamis her knowledge and elimate other's knowledge.
Botia Simplex: Younger brother of Armyth, and a forgiving cleric of the powers of healing and compassion.
Deloth Vagor: My PC from EQ. Evil son of well to do merchants who spent his youth drinking and partying, he resents his family for forcing him into the Lodge of the Dead (think anti-paladin guild). He spends his time nurturing politcal allies, drinking, harshing underlings, and schiming to gain power in and around Neriak.
I reuse the names of the characters I like, and carry the over from game to game. Years ago I had alot more in my head, but most games the last few years didnt have the options to make them, thank goodness for Wiz 8 which allowed me to remake some of my favorate non-standard PC.
LB
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:31 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I really only have one char that i use in different games, the others i just make up as i go pretty much.

Tyr Vaelil: Some sort of warrior or thief that kills at random and steals useless nick naks whenever he feels inclined to do so.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:39 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

This is a good topic, and like Jaz, I have been at this business over 20 years now. I tend towards a few different character templates:

1. Very nimble, quite often a Ranger, but also interstellar pilot, quiet, irreverant, hates authority type. Usually good in alignment. Has access to a smattering of magic (Force skills/Psionics), but prefers to rely on a combination of careful planning and willful disregard for the odds. Perfered weapons are accurate long range stuff, backed up by a quick light blade (such as a rapier or light sabre). There is nothing more satisfying then facing a tin can (tank type) character, and watching them get really frustrated trying to get through the defence a good fencer can put up!

My longest played character of this template (Lintra) became a VERY powerful Air mage ... but that was only after he'd mastered the art of fencing (and generally staying alive in a tough world ... before that he only dabbled in magic).

2. The tank. Big sword, big armor, very strong, very tough, not all that bright. Looks upon magic a good way to get healed, otherwise it is disdained (except enchanments to armor and swords). My favored CRPG character template, as it requires the least knowledge of the rules *grin*. Usually lawful, quite often paladin material (I had one fighter in a PnP D&D (v2) game that DM forced me to convert to a Paladin .. much to his chagrin .. but at least I got all the Paladin skills as if I'd been one all along).

3. The thief type. Close to template 1, but emphasis is on stealth and the alignment sometimes drifts into the border of evil. Never quite gets there, I guess I am not really evil by nature.

4. The pure mage. This guy sparkles power. I've not played many from this template, but I love them. Planning is the word. Long ranged planning. The only reason to take any strength at all is to cart around your magical stuff. Lintra (the character) eventually drifted into this template (although he was still an awsome fencer, but why fence when you can command a fleet of Roc's to take out the pesky dragon while it is being distracted dodging insta death lightning bolts cast by yours truly (from the back of the biggest roc - naturally), and should the dragon get too close, just have all the air under its wings suddenly disappear. "Aw, poor little dragon fall down go boom. ").
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Just the the pen and paper RPGs, my CRPG characters fall into a few very distinct categories:

The Paladin - So good it hurts, but devoted and grim enough to know that sometimes true justice comes at the end of a blade.

Arrogant Nobleman who Can Back it Up - Always has a look of bemusement bordering on contempt on his face, it usually neutral, and quite often a 'dexterity fighter' in any game.

Rampaging Juggernaut - By default, most of my characters in a new CRPG fall into this category... they're bricks, built ford tough, and able to sit on live grenades. However they never get so tough they're stupid (in a system where points matter)... they can think their ways out of paper bags (though they tend to be ugly as sin). Some of them play dumb, though, to get the upper hand. They tend to rush through doors and walls and throw things that others wouldn't think of lifting.

Why Doesn't My Mother Love Me? - Nothing short of destruction incarnate, these mages answer every one of life's challenges with incredible boughts of violence. If one fireball won't do use four. Quite often I combine this with Arrogant Noble to create a character who is calm, collected, and elitist until pushed over the edge... and then cities start dissappearing from maps.

I Do What I Must - Another of my evil templates, this guy isn't pursuing evil for its own sake... he's doing it because he honestly believes it's the best way to get unusally noble done. They're often quite fatalistic, which is why they believe they can't change when someone tries to reform them... seeing the good within and such. This guy will not butcher a village for getting in his way, but he will kill every person in town who starts something with him.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:43 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Another one.

Character and race that i often use when playing Morrowind is Redguard. At least i created 3 Reguards , but all of them lost since i didn't keep a saved files properly. Herod is the only remaining Redguard character, and for the name i borrowed from other character in other CRPGs. Previously i used a more proper name for a Redguards but i also lost it (can't remember).

Probably he is my most serious attempt in creating an alter ego. I tried to create his background, belief, etc, by researching The Elder Scrolls lore, especially regarding Reguard. But at last the task is rather daunting - there are near two thousand pages of information about the TES universe on the internet.

Here are few things about Herod:

Redguard: "...their pride and fierce independence of spirit makes them more suitable as scouts or skirmishers, or as free-ranging heroes and adventurers..."

Weapon: Long Blade.

Class: Sword Singer - basically a special fighter with a very intensive training in the "Way of the Sword" as in the Book of Circle. When a Sword Singer truely mastered the art of sword fighting, they can form a Shenhai, a mystical Spirit Sword of pure energy, just from their pure thought.

----------------------------------------

Formerly known as the Shehai Shen She Ru, or the Way of the Spirit Sword, the Shehai is an ancient form of magical combat practiced by the Redguards. Unfortunately, no known use of this has been seen for several thousand years and it's knowledge is considered lost. The Shehai was almost exclusively taught by The Halls of Virtue of War society.

Hunding belonged to the sword-singers. This element of empire society grew from the desert artisans and was initially recruited from the young sons and daughters of the high families. They built the first temple to the unknown gods of War and build a training hall "The Hall of the Virtues of War". Within a few generations the way of the sword - the song of the blade - had become their life. The people of the blade kept their poetry and artisanship in building beautiful swords woven with magic and powers from the unknown gods. The greatest among them became known as Ansei or Saints of the Sword. Each of these began their own training schools teaching their individual way of the sword. Those Ansei of the highest virtue wandered the country side engaging in battle, righting wrongs, and seeking to end the strife.

-Excerpts from Redguards, Their History and Their Heroes by Destri Melarg.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:36 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I always prefer pure fighters in RPGs. Sometimes it can be knight, paladin, barbarian, monk but always fighter in essence. And, I also have special interest for barbarians.When I first watched Conan movie in my childhood, i just froze with the image of Arnold, two weapons in his hands with a devilish look on his eyes. Since, then i prefer barbarian characters in games with full of muscles, long hairs, a giant battle axe in his hands and ofcouse barbaric features that can scare devils from underworld.
I tryed to play with mage characters in some games, but after few hours i was so bored. It's not for me to throw fireballs, hurl thunders, tremble the earth or paralyze my enemy with my spells. When, I am in the battlefield, I only trust my axe. Nothing gives me same pleasure to severe a monster's head with my extra sharp weapon.
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:33 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I would prefer to play wizard or thief type characters, but most RPGs tend heavily favour fighter types, and the powergamer in me refuses to play a character that is obviously weaker (weaker, that is, in terms of survivibility, not physical strength). D&D is the worst culprit in this regard, making mages essentially worthless at low levels, and even at high levels they are far too limited in how many spells they can cast per day (which probably works fine with pen & paper, but not with the hordes of enemies that computer games throw at you).

Personality-wise, I gravitate towards the classic neutral-good Jesus impersonator who is inhumanly tolerant and only gets in fights if he has to. Basically this is an idealised version of myself (although the real me is far more self-centred). I've tried playing the evil type, but they always end up seeming ludicrously unrealistic ("Bwahaha I'm going to kill your children because ... well ... er ... because I'm EVIL™") so I always end up reforming them.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:21 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I always WANT to be an evil mage, but end up being a big pansy goody goody instead. The only time I get to be evil is on MMORPG when my wife convinced me to PK.

I am such a pansy...
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:09 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I gernerally enjoy playing a versatile character like a rogue or rogue/fighter or rogue/mage combo (or rogue/mage/fighter/healer in Morrowind).

In CRPG's I find actual role playing to be much less a factor (except Morrowind which provides ample area for player imagination to drive gameplay).

When I played pen and paper D&D regularily (when I wasn't DM'ing) I had one character that really stands out in my mind at least. His name was Kendrick (a fairly standard fantasy type name), and he was a fighter. He was stubbornly brave to the point of self detriment and took great pride in sacrificing himself for his companions. After a couple years of gaming and gettign Kendrick through thick and thin (with the help of a few -- ok 8 resurrections in his adventuring career) he really developed a personality. Unfortunately the constitution penalties for being rez'd (we always played with -1 CON permanent for a REZ) caused him to become extremely sickly later in his life. His would contract illness and disease much easier than other characters and became less and less able to do what he liked to do best ---> stand in the face of immenent danger and possible death and face the tide with a smile and sword. Eventually he had to retire to a hilltop retreat where he lent his years of knowledge of adventuring to aspiring young fighters and helped train them in the various sword techniques he had perfected through the years. His many acts of selflessness and courage helped him to build lasting friendships with all manner of NPC's (and the other players as well).
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:38 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next