The Great Plug-In Debate
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
BartulaPrime
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Great Plug-In Debate

Okay, I know the question has been asked, but the replies have been in a general sense. So, I thought about trying to ask the question for a more specific answer on which plug-ins to use.

I've bought Tribunal, so I thought I would take another try at Morrowind since I put it down due to my older PC, initial problems, journal, etc.

As time has passed, I've discovered that there a ton of plug-ins out there, and it's difficult to know the ones worth your time and are stable.

So, to help with the suggestions of which ones I should choose, I will explain the type of experience I'm looking for in categories:

Functionality: Anything that corrects design issues (i.e. Merchants lacking enough gold to buy your items)

Atmosphere: Something that enhances mood, such as sounds or interesting hangouts.

Difficulty: I hate a game that allows me to become too powerful in the first day or two of playing. I know there are plug-ins that adjust difficulty, but there are quite a few. I'm looking for one that does the best job of ramping difficulty to my level.

Character: Anything that possibly aids the character in terms of role-playing. For instance, I've seen a mod that allows your off-hand to parry.

And, finally, to tie it all together, mods that work well together.

So, I appreciate any feedback since I'm really looking forward to starting the game again, but I would like to enhance the experience as much as possible with the great mods that I know are out there.

Thank You.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 4:44 am
luchesi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just recently re-started again , and i to was looking for something to make it a little different i really dont play with any mods other then homes to rest my aching bones , however after saying that i did try the official plugin (bitter coast sounds) and that is a great pluggin of course to enjoy the new sounds i have to stay in the Bitter Coast. so i decided to try to find some additional sounds and after finding some i have to admit these new plugins definately give it a better experiance ,they give you enhanced sounds anywhere from inside taverns to shops and outside sounds every where you go, but what i thought was kinda cool was when it is raining and you enter a building you can still hear the rain but more muffled (very cool)
the only problem with these new sounds is that it takes a toll on your frame rate , but to me it is worth it.
anywhere here is the files i downloaded and the location...

#1 ase30.exe (run first) (atmospheric sound effects 3.0)
#2 ase30update2.exe
#3 ase30update3.exe
#4 ase30update4.exe
$5 wilderness sounds

you can get them here.
http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/mods/mods_sql.asp
under (view mods by category) select "sounds"
then click view...
Post Tue May 06, 2003 1:51 am
Aladario III
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Atmospheric Sound Effects is the best plugin I ever tried. It increases the playing experience a lot. Its a really great work. The tavern music and eviromnent, impressive. The rain, the thunders, the screams of the ashlands, the fog sounds in a dark night, the....Everything!!!
Post Fri May 09, 2003 8:44 am
MarcusW
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, the atmospheric sound effects are cool, but one thing that bugs me are the "loop" sounds that you add to the ini file. Too much reverb and weird chorus-like effects. And too loud as compared to the rest of the sounds. They start to sound like a dream sequence from a David Lynch movie. I ended up disabling all of them except for the rain/thunderstorm and the ash storm sounds. The default Morrowind ash storm sound really grates on you too. The rest of the sounds from ASE I left intact, and there are plenty there even without the background loops. But just to be nit-picky, there's one thunderclap I wasn't too fond of which I replaced.

Don't get me wrong. I love the ASE plugins. A LOT of work obviously went into them. Other than the background loop tracks, it's first rate.
Post Sat May 24, 2003 6:20 am