more fun with tom's mod...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

more fun with tom's mod...

l...ok so i have this big area called battlefield. in it are like fifty encounter areas which are supposed to spawn orcs and dragon warriors so that they battle it out and the PCs don't have to do all the work. however, for some reason, they only spawn orcs. i thought i could work around this since there's platoons of dragon warriors scattered around anyway, so that that the PCs can lead their foes into them, or whatever. i had, until now, thought my dragon warriors were near unstoppable. however, a group of four level 11 warriors against a group of eight level 6 orcs really takes it out of them. after about three or four battles against the same platoon (all of which look AMAZINGLY cool BTW. got my adrenaline pumping and everything, what with NWN super cool cinematic type fight scenes and the war-like atmosphere i had created, not to mention the dramatic i chose for the area: the dragon combat theme.) one of my dragon warriors...*sniff*...i can do this...one of my dragon warriors...died.

now i'm sure someone's gonna say "well hell, thats a lot of orcs for them to be fighting, and only one died. is that so bad?" but it's actually very not good. the dying part is fine, it makes it seem more realistic. but this is an area with easily fifty or more of these orc-filled encounter places and the PCs will be traveling through it a lot. so that means that after a few times through it, the orcs will have won the war! so i figure i can do a couple of things to fix this, but the one i want to do (if i can) is restore my original idea of dragon warriors and orcs spawning out of the same place. so i come to u guys with a humble question: WHADDA I DO???

so here's the cool part: i'm wandering around my area, with about 40 or so orcs running behind me (what are they saying? why HOOGA-CHA HOOGA-CHA of course ) when i come across General Gruumash, one of my sem-unique orc figures. now by now it's nighttime and raining, and the dragon combat theme has switched to forest combat 1. the game is moving real slow since its trying to run the AI of all those orcs, and the orcs i haven't run into, so the only two guys who are moving are me and Gruumash. from above, some of the dragon warrior archers fire a few flaming bolts, forming a little ring around me and Gruumash. my camera angle swivels, and suddenly i have an exceptional view of the fight over the shoulder of an orcish archer, standing on a battlement, so i can see all the orcs gathered around us, watching the one on one combat between the champion of the Nyr-Haresh clan and the champion of the Order of the Deagon. it was like something out of a movie.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:17 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I don't know how to help you out with your problem, but the idea sounds cool. The scene you described sounds VERY cool!
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:30 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having really well... But if you want two groups of encounters from opposing forces (Dragon Warriors and Orcs) to spawn at the exact same spot so that they'll turn on each other (that's what I understand you want to do, right?), why don't you simply create 2 encounters, and place them exactly on the same spot, making them overlap each other on the ground, while making one a wee bit bigger than the other. Make the smaller encounter trigger on top of the bigger one so that the PC steps on both one after the other. Make both encounters spaw min/max 8 creatures on both sides, and place both span points right on the same exact spot a little further away (so that they don't attack the PC right away).

Let me know if that makes it work for you, or maybe re-explain your problem again so I can try and help you better
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:57 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

thx lintra

ekim, you interpreted my rantings correctly, and i'm pretty sure that idea'll work! *smacks self on head for not thinking of it.* how could I have missed that??? my fall back idea was to have the two encounters next to each other. but on top works even better! jeez i'm stupid.

thanks again, ekim. maybe i should just pm you with my problems from now on
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:54 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
thx lintra

ekim, you interpreted my rantings correctly, and i'm pretty sure that idea'll work! *smacks self on head for not thinking of it.* how could I have missed that??? my fall back idea was to have the two encounters next to each other. but on top works even better! jeez i'm stupid.

thanks again, ekim. maybe i should just pm you with my problems from now on

Feel free to do so! Just don't expect much out of me as far as scripting goes. I tried so much this weekend that my brain was starting to fume... I still can't get it. Maybe that's why I'm not a programmer I still think good modules can be done without going away from basic scripting with the wizard provided. As long as you DM your modules afterwards.

By the way, your setting DOES sound great! Maybe once it's don you can tell us where to get a copy so we can give it a whirl! Will it be SP or MP based?
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:21 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

well firstly, its nowhere near done....i just skipped ahead to the battle area cuz i was bored of doing all that "town stuff"

i guess it could be singleplayer or multiplayer, but it would be fun to DM it with some people from around here. especially when they run into their NPC counterparts
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:29 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

hmmm....it still just doesn't wanna spawn those dragon warriors....befuddling...
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:25 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Hmm.... Maybe instead of overlapping them you could try to create two very thin encounter trigger areas that are right next to each other, kind of like withing a step of one another so that the PC would step on one and then the next in very close sequence without a real possibility of triggering one but not the next. Not sure, am I being clear enough?... heh...
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:55 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

but how would whether or not it's overlapping one or next to one make a difference?

meh i'll try it.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:38 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
but how would whether or not it's overlapping one or next to one make a difference?

Well, simply because if the smaller one (the one that should be on top) ends up being underneath the bigger one, it will never trigger. The first one would completely drown the other, if you take my meaning. It's just a theory I have, but I guess that's the only explanation I can come up with
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:43 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i made one of the dragon warrior trigger totally separate from an orc one. even with a fair sized gap, it won't get set off. it must have something to do with the encounter properties....but what????
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:15 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Make sure that the "Player Triggered Only" option is selected under the Advanced tab in your encounter's properties. I have come to find that when you create a custom encounter this option is not activated by default and could lead to problems.

Let's try this and see if it solves it. if not... well, we'll see
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:59 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

already looked into that. all of my encounters (custom or otherwise) have "playere triggered only" checked. i just gave up and scattered dragon warriors all over the place. it takes away from te effect a little, but at least the PCs won't be stranded in a flood of orcs. as long as it works, i'm happy.

unless you have another idea....
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:04 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

How about making the orcs spawn on a PC trigger and then placing a trigger to the point where the orcs will spawn. When the orcs spawn, they will trigger the Dragon Warriors trigger and start fighting?

I haven't played around with triggers that much, but if I remember correctly, it should be quite easy to implement a small script to make sure that only the specific group of orcs will trigger that Dragon Warrior spawn. The idea sounds cool, as long as the game doesn't get too choppy with all those green buggers storming around the place

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:14 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Another idea came to mind, how about making a custom trigger without a spawn and make it fire two separately made custom spawn-scripts? It should work.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:16 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next