Members
Usergroups
Stories about tough battles
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
HolyWarrior

memorable fights

My party had just summoned El-Dorado to enter Rapax Castle. We walk up to him and RFS-81 has initiative. He gets 3 punches and 2 kicks per round. First punch--30 damage. Second punch--20 damage. Third punch--INSTANT KILL.
Sweet
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:41 pm

Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Long after I finished the game, I realized I pulled a stupid stunt and made combat on Ascension Peak a lot harder on myself than I could have.

Some of those demons are tough, and at one point I was fighting 5 of them at once. No demon encounter ever killed my whole party, but during this one I had to use 3 ressurection spells from 2 different casters. It seemed like a glorious victory at the time....

It wasn't until much later that I realized that I had a much better way of fighting demons. (No, I'm not talking about the Cornu of Demonspawn which wasn't effective.) In retrospect, it seems so obvious. I won't post the solution as I think it's too much of a spoiler, but I'll just say I gave myself a big whack on the head and said DOH! (If you really want the spoiler, I'll PM it to you.)
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:48 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, I was running around Trynton trying to find a place that I had missed becasue it seemed I was at a dead end.

Then I fell off of a bough.

But that's not all!!!

Vi (is that her name), my Valkyrie must have cheated death (everyone else died), because I went straight into camp mode, and woke up with two of those hairless mole things that I was always running away from. (In the game, not in my own bed...yet).

Anyway, I thought about reloading but wanted to see how long it would take for them to kill her, and also find out what happens when the party is really defeated. Well, about 20 minutes later, she had cheated death no less than 7 times and the moles were dead.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:30 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

bumped for Sealight, and perhaps some of our newer participants would like to contribute...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:56 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I remember in Trynton getting accidently bumped off the bough by a chipmunk. ...... Yeah, it's hot up here.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:31 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

most Embarrasing.........Whole 6 member crrew getting killed by 2 90 hp plants, repeatedly, on the Monastery path. I restarted with a different crew. There are bad choices.
Most confusing....Nessie in second game just sat there while I pummelled her with range weapons and spells. I must have been in a dead spot cause she never got in a hit! First game She never died, I did and bypassed her.
Longest..............Rapax prince and is crew. Waiting for everyone to cast fireball, maybe 20 or so is painful. Banish and Eye for eye eventually work plus backing down to a niche helps. Hex is your friend!
Most surprising......The southeast church with the Death Knights, sorceress Queen and a seemingly unlimited number of cast elementals. Again banish and Hex. Starting combat is imperitive due to the strong Hex, toxic, and death cloud initial casts by the baddies.I walked in to a Hex, Death cloud and ran away for 6 levels.
Most hated place...Mountain wilderness which is filled with Acid Serpents. running away with a battered crew i meet some golems, assorted, who finish me off. Hard to heal and rest there.Babar will not help, another deadly surprise. He just throws sparkles while flying back and forth. Substance Abuse?
Banjin Beach can be a killer, use xray and hide in a shack, not the one with the Banjin spell caster who will cast buff spells on crabs while hiding off the screen, making easy battles turn deadly.By now you may have surmised that I am not a great stragetist, I just keep moving and let the game surprise me.Eventually I do prevail but It takes a while. And I practice spells alot this game!
Best.........the ending, fun!
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:18 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Today, my party - all around level 8 - ran into a group of 9 Juggernaughts ...

Having lost several members from the party, I finally decided to reload ... *sigh*
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:05 am
otter
One of Us

Gotta back into a funnel when ya run into them beasties!
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:32 am
mustafa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Here goes my story of how I killed Rapax King & Demon goddess:
First I became a Templar. Then I went to Al-Sedexus in the temple. In the first round, I used my priest to cast Paralyze on her. I paralysed her even before she had a chance to summon templars (since my initiative value is higher than her's). After this I simply hacked her to death. After her death all Rapax ARE STILL GREEN (yes its GREEN). (I think Rapax turns GREEN to RED only if we attack a Templar).
Then I placed a portal outside Rapax camp. Now I went into the King's tent. Again I cast Freeze All and freezed both the King & the other guy standing nearby in the first round itself before they get their

initiative. And then I killed them both. Now all Rapax turned YELLOW. I went and freed T'Rang & Umpani and all Rapax in the camp turned RED. Then I teleported out. The rest of the Rapax in the Rapax Rift, Castle, Courtyard, Cellar are still GREEN.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:06 am
otter
One of Us

Yah. There's no communication between the away camp and the castle.
Ferro stays green no matter who you kill, but if the castle Rapax are red, there's a chance of them killing him.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:00 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yesterday, I met in a swamp (perhaps I should say THE swamp ) combined forces (at least that's how it practically worked) of a queen ant plus 9 soldier ants, and 4 flesheater slimes.

After using piercing pipes and magic missels on the soldier ants (who didn't survive this assault), I used the siren's wail on the rest.

As expected, they drove insane, but even better for me, they attacked one another !

So I could sit there, some meters away in relative safety, watching them attacking one another and reading messages like "flesheater slime laughts" or "dances wildly" ( I didn't know slimes could laugh !?! ) and attacking them with my own party using long-range weapons.

Unfortunately the insanity ran out at one point, that was when I had to draw closer.

I made this fight three times, and what I decribed above was the last try. I tried it three times, because two times my heavy fighter went mad, insane, too, and killed two members of the own party. I didn't want that and reloaded.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:22 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, that queen ant gave me a lot of stress. She spits her acid not once or twice in a round but three or four times. Now-a-days, whenever I run into her, I just run.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:14 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yesterday, the Valkyrie sayd "Let's Battle begin !" I suddenly knew there was something BIG going on.

List :

- 3 + 4 Higardi Highwaymen,
- 3 Rank Weeds
- 6 Crimson Poppies
- 1 Iron weed
- 7 Twilight Bats.

The Piercing Pipes and Magic Missiles worked very effective.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:11 am
RUR
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Solo dude

Talking a tough battles ... My solo barie spent about 50 rounds standing webbed by sneaky little spiders. They could barely hit me, but I sure could not hit them He is import from w7 so he has some good equip to start with.

Btw, did anyone finished the game with single non-casting char?

Take care,
R.U.R.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:20 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Re: Solo dude

quote:
Originally posted by RUR
Talking a tough battles ... My solo barie spent about 50 rounds standing webbed by sneaky little spiders. They could barely hit me, but I sure could not hit them He is import from w7 so he has some good equip to start with.

Btw, did anyone finished the game with single non-casting char?

Take care,
R.U.R.

Nope, but with a 2 character party, in "normal" mode. A fighter and a Bishop. The battles were ofcourse longer, but they leveled up much faster, and were quite capable in the Rapax complex at a later stage of the game.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:55 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next