Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
French reasons for opposing war in Iraq
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Why do you think France vowed to veto any resolution using war in Iraq?
Humanitarian reasons
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Fear of U.S. domination in the world
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Resentment of the U.S.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Didn't want to lose illegal billion-dollar oil contracts with Iraq
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Affraid world would find evidence that they have been supplying nuclear reactors and weapons-grade plutonium to Iraq since the 1970's
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well, we will see all in due time I suppose. Patience, young grasshopper! The appropriate people will be wiping egg off their faces when the time comes. And the egg will be the least of their worries, no matter what "side" it is.

My purrsonal view is that France has always been pals with Iraq, to what capacity I'm not sure. They did try and build them a nuke reactor, and they do buy considerable oil from them. Which just goes to "food for the people" of course, we all know that ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:25 am
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Hmm... The Oil for Food program is a thing from the UN, not just France alone. It's supposed to be a good thing, not a bad.

It's a bit ironic to go blame France for being friends with Iraq. The WMD's that Iraq is supposed to have were provided to them by the US in the first place.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:34 am
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I said this before in another thread, but now I'm serious: would it just make all of you people happier if we made an America-haters usergroup? Then you can all go piss and moan about how you feel the U.S. is evil because it's more powerful than your country. All you use is opinion and emotional pleas that just sound downright dumb. Use facts to back up your argument, or don't get upset when those of us who do shoot your theories to sh*t.

xSamhainx, dteowner, I'm tired of this, and I don't see why we should even bother defending ourselves anymore to people who don't want to listen. We shouldn't even be defending ourselves; this thread has nothing to do with the U.S. NOTHING! It was started as a counterpoint to someone's poll about U.S. motivations for war, but instead of looking at why France VOWED TO VETO THE WAR (and I've proven they did, MoonDragon, maybe you shouldn't accuse people of speaking without facts on their side when you're the one guilty of that). As always, however, it turned into an attack on the U.S. Whatever. I'm sick of this.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:30 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

quote:
Originally posted by Dov
I said this before in another thread, but now I'm serious: would it just make all of you people happier if we made an America-haters usergroup? Then you can all go piss and moan about how you feel the U.S. is evil because it's more powerful than your country. All you use is opinion and emotional pleas that just sound downright dumb. Use facts to back up your argument, or don't get upset when those of us who do shoot your theories to sh*t.

xSamhainx, dteowner, I'm tired of this, and I don't see why we should even bother defending ourselves anymore to people who don't want to listen. We shouldn't even be defending ourselves; this thread has nothing to do with the U.S. NOTHING! It was started as a counterpoint to someone's poll about U.S. motivations for war, but instead of looking at why France VOWED TO VETO THE WAR (and I've proven they did, MoonDragon, maybe you shouldn't accuse people of speaking without facts on their side when you're the one guilty of that). As always, however, it turned into an attack on the U.S. Whatever. I'm sick of this.
Show me the attacks against the US in this thread. Show me. Not the facts, not the arguments that you seem tp ignore. Just the "opinions" and "emotinal arguments" that show how we hate America. I'm curious.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:31 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Hyrrix
Show me the attacks against the US in this thread. Show me. Not the facts, not the arguments that you seem tp ignore. Just the "opinions" and "emotinal arguments" that show how we hate America. I'm curious.
Probably don't want to bring up ignoring facts and arguments... Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, say hello to Pot.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:55 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Then I can ask the same question to you to prove your statement: which facts did I/we ignore?

If you can't handle critics on the account of the country you live in, don't start a discussion criticizing another country, Dov.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:02 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Probably don't want to bring up ignoring facts and arguments... Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, say hello to Pot.
LOL.
As you can imagine I agree with dteowner. He says it all here.

I can also see Dov's point. There have been enough statements made against the USA that might be considered as being hatefull. It's easy to judge others who live in a country that is not yours and apply to them your standards.

Then again, if I would be French I could imagine feeling the same as Dov also.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:25 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

quote:
There have been enough statements made against the USA that might be considered as being hatefull.
Prove it.
quote:
Prove it.

Of course this works for both sides, Myrthos. You just don't have to take them personal. I've been in quite a few places around the world, and everywhere I go, people are complaining about their own government. Until someone from another country says something bad about it... then they suddenly start defending it. Seriously, if someone justifiedly accused the Belgian government of genocide in Congo (partly true even), I would stand up, protest, vote, write, scream, yell... do everything in my power to make sure the government gets changed. I'm not responsible for what the Belgian government does, neither was a German in the 1940's responsible for invading Western-Europe. We can only try to make the best of it; but I'm not proud when my country wins the Olympics, nor am I ashamed when my country would start a war. I would support it or try everything to stop it; but not take it personal.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:42 pm
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
If you can't handle critics on the account of the country you live in, don't start a discussion criticizing another country, Dov.

I feel like my head is going to explode. This thread was not started to criticize France, it was started to provide a counterpoint to the poll on U.S. motivations in Iraq. If I wanted to start a topic criticizing France, there wouldn't be a poll, and the topic would've been: "France gives nukes to Iraq!" But that's not what it is, is it? And all your claims that you're not here to attack the U.S.? I think "If you can't handle critics on the account of the country you live in" suggests what you're really here to do, Hyrrix. Oh, and now I can't handle criticism? What I can't handle, Hyrrix, is people totally going off topic and turning every thread on every board into an attack on the U.S. I know you'll have some sly comment on how I'm overreacting by writing all this, so just go ahead and ignore what I'm actually saying and attack me.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:00 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

No I'm just going to repeat the words I said above: show me where I attacked the US.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:39 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well I'm afraid these forums have a tendency to drift off topic, even in the off topic forum nobody stays on topic. Although normally it's the swedes who cause it to happen.
As they are not here I think it might just be a virus causing all his topic drift.
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:08 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's me. I'm contagious.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:26 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

I wish that was true. Then I maybe would resist the urge to reply in threads like these =)
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:29 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Oh Jaz.... Don't tell me it's you.... If we are not carefull.... then we soon end up with neon lighted buttons...... Please don't do that to us....
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:31 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Muahahahahaha! Neon-colored, blinking buttons, neon-colored, blinking backgrounds AND neon-colored, blinking text! Muahahahaha!

...okay. Enough clownage for now . But somebody had to try and stand in for the Swedes. Now go back to being serious, the whole lot of you.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next