Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

God bless us warriors
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:45 am
No-name
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yees..actually I will play with the orcs,after that with lee,with a neutral faction and after that maybe as a mage..
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:19 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sem has pretty much told you all there is to know about the G3 magic system(that we know so far), but I have to comment about playing mages:

Mages are, by far, the most powerful class in Gothic at the end of the game if you do it right. Spells like Summon Demon, Rain of Fire, Ring of Death, Breath of Death, and Shrink are so good you can pretty much walk through the final two chapters without breaking a sweat. Also, if you play your cards right, you should be able to get near 300 mana even in the add-on, but it's not for new players - it definetly takes more planning and more knowledge of the game. Paladins and Dragon Hunters are both easier for new players to play.

This isn't new though. Almost all games, ever since Baldurs Gate etc, have been this way. Magicians are poor in the beginning, but extremely strong near the end, and the warriors' path is always the "basic" one with the hack-and-slash way of getting through the game.

I really like the magic system as it is, and the create rune addition was welcomed in G2. I also loved the new challenges the add-on brought along, but I advice all players to get through the game at least 2-3 times before even trying the add-on. It's pretty tough.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:17 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Milan Kovacs
And you can't be a mage?????

I think you missed something here. The whole topic is about being a mage. Of course you can be a mage, it's just a little different.

I agree with Maylander, about the mage-strength issue. Maybe that's is why you have to "discover" magic, to get rid of starting-mage-weakness. Maybe you'll already have some fighting skills before you can start developing your magic, so you're capable of defending yourself. Of course you'll still need to be able to become a true mage. If you're forced to become a battle-mage because of this, it would really suck.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:26 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree, and I'm guessing you are correct about mages in G3(they get some basic skills, more so than in G2, but can still become full mages in the end).
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:18 pm
MafioZo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Either way I'm gonna play the warrior path (one handed swords to maximum and no magic) and then mage path in G3. This is how I've done it in G2. Although mage in G2 was so much of overpower compared to my warrior :-/. I mean killing dragons in the end of game with 2 range shots compared to minutes of sword dancing and hit'n'runs is nonsense
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:01 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

[quote="Sem"]
quote:
Originally posted by Milan Kovacs
And you can't be a mage?????

I think you missed something here. The whole topic is about being a mage. Of course you can be a mage, it's just a little different.

Yes i know this, cuz i started this topic. And now iám happy to hear there will be mages. And yes, the magicans will be very strong near the end
Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:55 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I'm hoping that piranhas have made mage's path more fun this time. I don't really find very fun to drink thousands of mana potions after every battle. In my opinion mana should be filled up after a mage has launched a spell. How quickly his mana supply refills should totally depend on how powerfull this mage is initially.

In addition mage's power/wisdom/strenght should appear in the spells he launches. I find it rather stupid that it doesn't really matter whether you are in the second or sixth circle when it comes how much damage you can deal with your spells. For instance the damage of fireball is allways the same. It doesn't matter whether the mage is a poor circle one firemage or a might circle six high mage.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:08 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
In addition mage's power/wisdom/strenght should appear in the spells he launches. I find it rather stupid that it doesn't really matter whether you are in the second or sixth circle when it comes how much damage you can deal with your spells. For instance the damage of fireball is allways the same. It doesn't matter whether the mage is a poor circle one firemage or a might circle six high mage.
That is the one thing that always bugs me - a non-classed level 1 player tossing a fireball does as much damage as a level 40 6th circle mage.

In that regard I have always hoped for a parameter - could be as simple as 'magic' that would be similar to STR for melee or DEX for ranged, in that it would be used to calc amount of mana, damage and spell penetration.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:31 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I believe that will be changing too. I'm just letting my thoughts go here, so it's no fact at all, but with the new ways of improving your character there will sure be things like "increased fire damage" or something to make your existing spells stronger.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:03 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yes. I think they have to work on the mages a lot. Not just on the spells(let me say the spells were rather poor, and expensive in mana), on the mages mana. Too expensive the mana for the skills. And the mana replensihes itself. Good idea, u don't have to waste your time to drink mana potions all the time. And when u run out of mana, u can't drink mana potion, onlz if u run what is.......hm.....not so funny or exciting
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

For instance the damage of fireball is allways the same. It doesn't matter whether the mage is a poor circle one firemage or a might circle six high mage
end quote

I believe that PB made the spell system like that because the world of Gothic is not a fantasy world.PB tried to make it similar to the real world ( hope everybody missed the 6 big dragons,orcs,harpies etc.....etc) so magic is not that simple to get and use.
As for the hero....he is not a real mage or a real priest,he learns to use magic for a purpose and he does that in let's say 3 month(game days),so he can't be able to refill his mana without outside help(mana essence).
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:10 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've always loved the path of the mage in Gothic, and the magic system. When I play a mage, I locate the nearest bed, clear a path to it, and then use it as a "staging point" to clear the area, and return to the bed to get mana. I hardly ever use potions this way.

Also, regarding "upgrading" skills after which level you are - that doesn't really fit into the world of Gothic. See, circle 1 is circle 1 no matter who casts it. A rune, used by anyone, will always have the same effect. The only difference between mages is what runes they have access too - a powerful mage will have access to more powerful runes(higher circles). A single rune will never change its effect regardless of who uses it. Magic in Gothic does not come from the mage himself, it comes from the runes, which are pretty much just magically enhanced ore inscribed with a single, specific effect, and that effect cannot be changed once a rune has been made.

I really hope they don't change the very world of Gothic - rules are rules, and the lore should remain.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:30 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm gonna specialize in two handed weapons although there alot slower and if you're not good and time you're combos right the enemies can counter-attack specially if its a elite orc like in gothic 2 you'll die in seconds.

I remember the first one i killed i was at a real low level it took so long to kill it.

I think in Gothic 3 instead of just starting the game and getting off the boat with nothing like in the first two games i think it should work like this although i dont mind starting off with nothing and joining a group etc.

In the game it says you get to choose wich difficulity a orc for hard and a wolf for normal or what ever so maybe on the next screen they should have a class selection the warrior or the mage and for the warrior have a model of the character with armor and a weapon and for the mage the character with a robe and staff or something like that.

Not meaning once you select this class this is the only thing you are but i mean when you start the game and get off the boat you'll start off with some basic things to help you on you're path.

Instead of starting off with nothing and you choose the warrior path you have some weak armor like cloth or leather and a sword some gold coins and a few healing potions just to get started and maybe kill a few weak creatures to gain a few levels instead of having to run away from everything and join a group etc.

Then for the mage the character starts with a shabby weak robe and a cheap wooden staff or what ever they use and they should also have some basic runs like healing and fire and lightning and ice (all the lowest level)

I think it should start like that what do you think? Cause i mean wich ever class you select doesnt make it permament gets gives you that classes basic small equipment at the start to help you a bit.

So say you choose the mage class and you start with the robe and staff and spells etc when you join in you can simply just sell all that crap and then join mercenaries or paladins or what ever and become a warrior know what i mean?

I think this is a good idea cause a mage character starting off with nothing gotta give em some basic runes and some equipment and for warrior a short sword and few potions.

What do you think.

So at least when you start the game you can have fun and start gaining a few levels (the weakest enemies of course)
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:41 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

PB doesn't want to make a "Dungeon Lords"-like game with nine different races and multiple classes and you determine the outcome of your character at the very first start in the character-creation menu. They want you to develop your character on the way. In real life you don't know what you want to become at first either.

Of course I understand your worries. For now it seems as we can only create battlemages, because you will first have to learn at least some basic fighting skills.
It all depends on the story I think.

Last edited by Sem on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:04 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next