Sacred sells 1.6M units
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Sacred sells 1.6M units

Although our newsbit on Ascaron's expansion covers this, it's worth highlighting that their action/RPG 'Sacred' has sold 1.6 million copies worldwide - even more impressive considering the modest US sales. Here's a snip from the press release we received:<blockquote><em>A prime example of ASCARON's domestic and international success so far is the title "Sacred". In 2004, the role-playing game was the top-selling title in Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Poland and Russia, and a top 5 hit in many other countries. The world-wide sales figures of Sacred have reached 1.6 million so far. Sacred has become one of the most successful German games ever published in the USA where it was awarded "Best Role Playing Game of the Year" by PC Gamer magazine. Sacred has sold more than 200,000 units in the USA - a figure that has never before been achieved by a game developed within Germany.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:19 pm
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I counted as 2 of those. Once for when it was originally released and one for the recent Sacred Gold edition. I hope this means that Sacred 2 will sell well too.

I also hope that Gothic 3 will actually make it to the US before the an addon gets released in Germany It is nice to see that I will be able to get Gothic 2 Gold edition soon though with the expansion. German developers are starting to release some good games
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:20 am

That's depressing considering how badly a far superior RPG like Vampire bombed. I commend Ascaron for the persistent support they provided to correct Sacred after the mess the original release was (maybe Troika would still be around if they treated their customers the same way), but this was one of the worst games I've played in the last few years, just so mindlessly repetitive and boring.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:59 am

Dr. A

Personally i found Sacred more fun than Diablo
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:52 am

slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
maybe Troika would still be around if they treated their customers the same way

Maybe Troika would do the same if they weren't working for free like they did the last month with Vampire. The patch that was released was worked on without payment, i'd say that proves they care about their fans. I'm sick of hearing people trashing Troika, get your facts straight before talking BS.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:47 am
Kolorabi

Hehe, and they say the PC is dying...

(the number is especially impressive, considering that Ascaron is really a very small fish in the very big games industry pond)
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:44 pm

deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yep, Sacred was better than Diablo

I liked Temple Of Elemental Evil, but sadly it will not work on my new XP machine with all the latest patchs. I was hoping to replay it again now on my big screen TV I don't guess we will see a sequel to it
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yeah Sacred was trash the horrible bugs but besides the bugs the actual game really boring quests they are all the same dull boring stupid npcs everything looks the same the npcs the areas theres nothing to explore everything is the same game is retarded so is the story and there is no challange at all either i guess people love buying crappy games well look at the morons at the rating sites giving almost perfect scores to really shitty boring and over rated games that we have all played before a million times.

Diablo was worse then this game not buggy but surely trash kinda like Dungeon Siege i think both those games are on the same "Trash" level.

Im also glad troika is gone for good they brought it on themselves they cant make a game that works properly do they even test the games they make or just design it will 0 bug testing?

I loved Vampire Masquerade Redemption and when i saw bloodlines i was real looking forward to it (although i was real disapointed the orignal devs werent making it)

Also a disapoitment and yet again the combat with the guns were horrible and useless basicly if you use a gun you die lol it was more fun using the katana any way but still why do they make the guns so useless.

I hope they make another Vampire game in the white wolf setting but from the devs by the orignal devs of Redemption and the third person melee combat and first person shooting like Bloodlines but in mediveal times maybe a sequel to redemption?
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:51 pm

quote:
Originally posted by slak
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
maybe Troika would still be around if they treated their customers the same way

Maybe Troika would do the same if they weren't working for free like they did the last month with Vampire. The patch that was released was worked on without payment, i'd say that proves they care about their fans. I'm sick of hearing people trashing Troika, get your facts straight before talking BS.

Penny wise, pound foolish. The main reason that Troika is out of business in my view is that they released buggy, unplayably so at points, games, then walked away from them. How many sales of Vampire did the TOEE fiasco cost them? I would bet it's in the six figures. I loved Vampire, but nearly didn't play it, waiting until I was able to pick up at GoGamer for something like $10 after Troika was already gone because I was so bitter about TOEE and so untrusting of Troika to deliver a functioning product. In TOEE they released a game that simply did not (and still doesn't) work, then walked away from it. I don't care what they were getting paid, and I don't care about Activision's role -- they released a game they knew was broken then didn't fix it. I paid $50 for it, so they ripped me off -- end of story for me. On the other hand, I hated Sacred, but I would have no problem at all buying another product from Ascaron if it sounds better because of the way they backed Sacred.
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:09 am

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is still a great accomplishment for a PC game by a small studio. 1.6 Million copies is a lot for a PC game. I wish that it could be something with more story and more depth, but I'm still happy for the genre and for my PC.
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:22 pm