mmorgs, hope this is the place!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
bj7
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

mmorgs, hope this is the place!!

Hello everyone, im new to the boards, so try to bear with em and i hope this is where i drop this post. By the way this site is a great rpg site, alot of educated and great critics of the games offered. Back to topic, i've played alot of the mmorg's and i just started well half way finished wiz8 great game by all looks(except perhaps the combat it gets to be too much). But after playing ultima online, then everquest, now wiz8, i feel like i need something new. Id like to get into another mmorg thats swordish sorcery. i KNOW THE STAR WARS ONE IS ONE BUT THATS NOT MY BAG OF THINGS. I always seem to miss out on when teh new games are coming or even a chance to test them in beta. I guess im not sure where i go to find out info on this stuff as its getting developed. I pretty much stumbled across ultima what a stumble i loved teh game but after a year and a half it was starting to wain perhaps if i holded on i might have be into it still. So if anyone has teh knowledge of teh where abouts or perhaps even what you might know whats out there send a reply or message id love to hear somethign

thanks

Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:50 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hello, welcome and yes, this is right forum for this post.
This is all I wanted to say - I do not know much about MMORPGs and I do not play them.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:17 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

There are several MMORPGs coming out in the near and far future. Some focus highly on PvP, most are fantasy, some are not.
You could try and click on the 'Games Search' link at the left and enter MMORPG as search option. That should give you some 30+ results (although not all of them are MMORPGs, most are)
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A popular fantasy MMORPG at the moment is Dark Age of Camelot. Check it out... it looks pretty good (though I've never tried it).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:04 am
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

I am looking forward to World of Warcraft, because Blizzard promises that there will be no defacto forced grouping, but in fact a meaningful single player component, which is lacking in nearly all major fantasy MMORPGs. I gave up EQ because of the near compulsory grouping, lack of story, etc.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:21 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

yes, i play dark age of camelot, it IS decent, and has some nice aspects, but i dont like the way Realm versus realm was done. in realm versus realm (RvR), the 3 realms basically pvp the crud out of each other. the three realms are, albion, hibernia, and midguard. albion is humans, they are average, in the middle, stat wise, and have some decent classes... hibernia are mainly magic users, almost every class of their's can use magic, they consist of elves and short people, called lurikeen, and firbolgs, big giant people. midguard is mostly fighters, with characters with huge str and such, trolls, have the highest str in the game, and dwarves and kobolds are also midguards. you choose 1 realm. just one, and that becomes the ONLY realm you can play on that server. (sorry, no dwarves grouping with elves or any of that) you cannot talk with people from other realms, and your "team" is your realm. each realm has 2 RvR relics. a strength and power relic. by capturing these relics your realm gets more powerful, these relics are in forts... and then there are other minor forts around the the realms. the realms are separated, completely different large islands, and RvR is nearly impossible unless you are level 40-50. there are lower level RvR zones called battle grounds. they are restricted to levels 20-25, 26-30, 30-35, and a 36-40 level battle ground. good to practice. Mythic is intending to keep this game going after level 50 (the max) by offering RvR bonuses. by killing other players of an enemy realm, capturing keeps, etc., you gain realm points. after you get so many realm points you gain realm levels... and you can get special realm skills... and all kinds of stuff. RvR can get really hectic, and you want a VERY good computer to avoid lag. (my computer is great, so i dont have to worry about it, but one time me and about 600 other people from albion were storming a midguard relic keep, and about 500 midguards came to defend it, and then a good 500-600 hibernians came and joined the fray, it was lag hell to my friend who has a computer which barely meets the system specs of the game, but IT WAS REALLY FUN!) anyway, its all in all a pretty good game if you like mmorpgs.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:47 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

Um, excused me for being ignorant but what does mmorpgs stand for.
I know that it means an online role playing game but can't work out what the letters stand for.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:51 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Massive-Multiplayer-Online-Role-Playing-Game
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:53 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

Thanks, I wonder who came up with that name.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:17 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The same people who came up with MUD, MUCK, MUX, and MUSH. It was the next evolution in acronyms... I guess.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:39 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
The same people who came up with MUD, MUCK, MUX, and MUSH. It was the next evolution in acronyms... I guess.

Sounds like ex military people are involved ... the military *loves* acronyms
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:26 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Not like the computer industry. After all, we have TLA - Three Letter Acronym. We have an acronym for acronyms!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:06 pm
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's interesting to watch the evolution of the english language turn into expressing ideas in single letters rather than words... now I know why my parents are so afraid of computers. Hehe
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:13 am
bj7
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd like to say thanks to all who posted on this topic, i guess my first post was kinda vague i guess. Umm, as you can tell i have well the intellegence of a stone about computers and well the capicity of learning of a fly on fly paper. I've played uo and loved it ( umm perhaps should have never quit but rl things got in teh way) Oh yeah well shes gone now too bad nice lady.. Anywho, then i started playing eq and well i like new stuff i hated teh third person, ilike the over top view of uo and well i was hoping to find something similiar to it or if anything was on the horizon perhaps even try to get into a beta of something. I guess this is where you all come in; im sending out the signal just send me in the direction.

1 perfer over top view not a must
2 i like it role playing
3 i like to build skills ( not much for bashing unless neccassary)
4 online of course
5 well addictive leave that to me
6 friendly cause i try to be always
7 fun

well that summs up what im looking for. Just need a pleace to find to look at them or where please try to be specific cause well i get lost easy but once i get the scent well im well organized.

I thank all that help and i thank all that dont and have the kindness to even listen.

thank you all,

p.s. if anyone does find me a good oen id think it would be great if we could even meet uup online ofr somethign even a hello welcoem its nice to here or some tips.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:35 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Not like the computer industry. After all, we have TLA - Three Letter Acronym. We have an acronym for acronyms!

Yes and what about Stalmann GNU (acronym recoursive (?? i don't know in english - an acronym in which there is the same acronym!))
GNU = GNU is Not Unix
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:37 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next