Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where to start?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Which career path is the best to do first?
Militia
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Mage
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Mercenary
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Where to start?

I was wondering what the best career path to play first is. I am no n00b to Gothic since I have played Gothic extensively. I still would like to know which career path in Gothic 2 is the best one to do first.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:55 pm
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The easiest carrer path is definetly the militia. You get good armor, a good magical weapon later on, and magic to top that off.

The first time I played through Gothic 2 I joined the mercenaries. It wasn't necessarily easy (actually I found it pretty hard), but it was definetly more fun than going with a paladin. Also, you can't learn any magic if you play as a merc. It's easily the most challenging fraction.

And as for the mage... Well, I haven't gotten that far into the game yet, but judging from what I've heard, the mage is hard in the beginning, but incredibly easy later on. I've also heard that you get some interesting subquests later on. The only ''downside'' to this is fraction is that it's hard to join.

Anyway, it's a bit hard for me to tell you what fraction is the best, since they all got advantages and disadvantages

Hope it helps..
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:16 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

hm... Militia is easier, as soon you are a citizen, you can join them. for the Mercenaries you have to doe some things... (like kicking some mercenaries)... you get more expirience for the quests you need to do to become a mercenary. but militia is easier.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:02 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Militia is definitely the easiest. You get a HUGE headstart... 100Gold a pop for reporting criminals to Lord Andre. Easy money, easy armor upgrade, nice free weapon. If you're undecided on warrior or magic, Paladins do both. So you still have a choice later on. And boy... was the magic useful!

For the rest there's definitely much more running around doing menial tasks for pitance.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:57 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I prefer

I usually like playing a 'magic user' type character in CRPGs. But for G2, I chose to me a Mercenary my first time through the game. I chose this path first because after doing some reading about the game, the Mercenary path will allow you to experience the most in terms of the various skills available because you will have more Learning Points availabe from the lack of having to learn magic spells and what not.

I think a lot of the miscellaneous skills are a lot of fun in G2.

My second time around I will play as a Mage. However, I'm going to wait for the add-on before I play the game a second time.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:33 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Thanks guys! I think my first file will be with the militia!

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:53 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Mercs are the best. You get to beat up people who annoy you.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:13 pm
Anakin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

From reading some of the other posts elsewhere, I got the impression that the expansion pack "Night of the Raven" might make the Militia and Paladin quests more difficult (i.e. fun). You might want to play as a magician first and then as a militia soldier and Paladin after the expansion pack is released in English.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:32 pm
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I would have to go with the militia too.And I love the paladin armor.
I played merc and mage at the same time(1 day as a merc and 1 day as a mage) so I must say that they are both a bit tougher to play at the beggining.
My recomandation is to play all 3 character classes at the same time,It's more chalanging and you can really see the differences between them and their missions along every chapter.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:08 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I played merc first time through, and theat was pretty challanging, but great fun. Now I'm half way into the game as mage, and I intend to wait until the add-on is released here before playing as militia.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:27 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lawanda
Mercs are the best. You get to beat up people who annoy you.

While that prospect is tempting, I want to have a good combination of fighting and magic on my first file, and since mercs don't have that much magic, I'll go with the militia.

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:52 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hello there MageofFire

This time round I am a master thief, I steal what I need. I am creating havoc
I am not yet joining any guilds. I am roaming the land in a hooded cloak and I have supreme power!. I am delving into the lower workings of G2. Theres a lot more and varied "tricks" to learn.

I am pleased that you are now in G2 as you will be able to see many comparisons and differences from gothic.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:32 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Hello there MageofFire

This time round I am a master thief, I steal what I need. I am creating havoc
I am not yet joining any guilds. I am roaming the land in a hooded cloak and I have supreme power!. I am delving into the lower workings of G2. Theres a lot more and varied "tricks" to learn.

I am pleased that you are now in G2 as you will be able to see many comparisons and differences from gothic.

Actually, I am not yet in Gothic 2. It hasn't been delivered to my house yet. I ordered it from Amazon over a week ago so it should be there soon.

About your master thief: That sounds awesome! I might do that. If it is indeed possible.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:44 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there MageofFire,

I would'nt want to give to much away but remember in gothic when you've killed everything and done all you can at some point you had to join a guild?

I like Razer's idea of all three guilds (and you could also be a tealeaf!)

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:07 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Kind of funny. I had this vision of the character sneaking along the countryside in a dark cloak and hood (while it's raining, of course), and sneaking into towns at night to steal from houses.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:13 pm