Fixing Lost or Stuck NPCs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fixing Lost or Stuck NPCs

When you can't get through a door because someone is standing on the other side of it, or the local Silt Strider driver has fallen off the side of the podium, it's time to reset the actors!

The Reset Actors command moves all NPCs and creatures that are in the area and supposed to be in the area back to their starting positions. It will not affect any that are not normally there, and will not affect any NPCs or creatures in other areas - if you reset the actors in the cavern of Ashurnibibbi you won't affect any Ordinators wandering around Vivec etc. The "current area" is the entire area you can visit without (internal) loading a new area via a "Door to West Gash", a teleport etc., or (external) walking into another cell. Normal doors that swing open and you walk through don't count - both sides of the door are in the same "area".

To reset the actors in the current area, open the console with the console key (default is the ~ key on American keyboards, ` on UK - it's usually the key below the Escape key), and type "ra", without the quotes. Press enter and the actors will be reset. Press the console key again to close the console.

Last edited by cfmdobbie on Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:41 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

actually.. i have a european keyboard.. and it has both the ~ and ` on that button
anyway.. tnx that "RA" stuff helped me alot
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:47 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

On my (German) keyboard, the console opens with ^.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:37 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heh, I fell into the standard trap of assuming too much.

I'd better fix the wording a little so as not to confuse people...

... There, how about that? Gives accurate information for US and UK, a hint for other countries, and specifically names it the "console key" so people who still have no joy might consider looking through the key bindings. As I hate editing posts people have already replied to, here's the original text:

quote:
To reset the actors in the current area, open the console (default is the ~ key on American keyboards, ` on European), and type "ra", without the quotes. Press enter and the actors will be reset. Press ~ (or `) again to close the console.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:36 pm
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Whatever the required keystrokes, thanks for the excellent advice. I have a key quest mage stuck in a door and so upset by this predicament that she isn't talking to me at the moment.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:06 pm
Singularity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for that information cmfdobbie...however, you've titled the thread "Fixing LOST or stuck NPCs" and I have a problem with a missing NPC. The woman who'll teleport me from Ald' Ruhn is missing from that mages guild. I'm fairly certain that she's not part of a kidnapping plot (or similar) as no-one at the Ald' Ruhn mages guild mentions anything about it when I query them.
I haven't killed her and have tried re-setting actors several times so where has she gone?
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:23 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Singularity
Thanks for that information cmfdobbie...however, you've titled the thread "Fixing LOST or stuck NPCs" and I have a problem with a missing NPC. The woman who'll teleport me from Ald' Ruhn is missing from that mages guild.

Ah, I was talking about "lost" as in "temporarily mislaid" - sounds like you've got a bigger problem than that!

If she'd wandered off and you just couldn't find her, the ra command should have worked. If it didn't and there's no quest activity going on, then I'm afraid she's probably dead.

Ever play Daggerfall? There was a situation where you could fall through the floor into the void. Morrowind suffers from the same problem. Due to the way the collision detection works (related to frame-rate, not to "real" time) people can occasionally fall through floors, climb up shelves etc. Considering the room that guild guide is in, it's probable that she clipped badly against the edge of the dais and fell through the floor.

You'll need to resurrect her, I'm afraid! To resurrect an NPC you need the character's ID, as listed in the construction set. Load the Morrowind data file, click on the NPC tab and scroll down until you find the character's name. The ID is in the first column. Alternatively, jump to the area the character should be in and double click on them to open their properties - the ID should be listed there as well. In this case I believe you need "erranil".

You can't really resurrect a character in this game, but you can spawn a brand new copy of them with the "PlaceAtPC" console command. Stand in the guild guide room, backup your save game, open your console and type the following:

PlaceAtPC "erranil" 1 1 1

The character should just appear in front of you. And indeed probably immediately turn to you and mutter "Make it quick, I haven't got all day" just like nothing happened...

If something goes wrong like they respawn inside a pillar (not actually sure if that's possible), reload, move slightly and try again. If later on you realise it *was* part of a quest, better restore the save game and replay from there.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:47 am
Singularity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You're on the ball cmfdobbie - thanks!

Rather than muck about with the construction set, (I'm learning UED, 3DS Max & Photoshop 7 atm) I think I'll just leave it be. It isn't something that bothers me at the moment - It simply means I need to use the Stilt Strider (or spells) to travel quickly from there now.

I believe you're right when you say that she may've clipped into the geometry - begs the question - Why haven't the developers introduced blocking physics as an embedded property of all of the Terrain Heightmaps, Brushes and static meshes?

I can understand the difficulty in preventing one from levitating through a cave roof, as I presume the heightmaps are inverted on the ceilings, but I'm slightly disapointed at the frequency with which I fall through the base of the terrain while landing from a jump.

[Edit]Of course, all in all - I'd be silly to complain too much - this game is brilliant! [/Edit]
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:00 am
Gobez
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This kind of fix works fine for the PC version of Morrowind....but do you guys know how to fix missing NPC's for the x-box version?
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:14 am
Lucifer666
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i have to do a mission for the thieves guild where i give arch mage trebonuis some papers. But i killed himin the arena all ready. Would this RA thing fix it?
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:49 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

No, it only works on NPCs who are alive but nearby.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:18 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You can use the console to create a new copy of the NPC you want. Someone else will have to details the command, but I think I remember it being explained a while back.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:47 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Go into console with ` (or whatever keyboard command you need)

type:

placeatpc "artorius trebonius" 1,1,1<enter>

leave console with ` (or same as above)

He will attack you at that point as if you were in the arena, so you won't be able to finish your quest though, unless you have calm humanoid or something like that. I tested it to be sure.

edited mispellings

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:40 am