Alchemy too powerful?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Alchemy too powerful?

i was bored last night so i started playing with alchemy. i use it to make potions to sell, and for character bonuses for tough fights. i got a little carried away and boosted my intelligence to ~270000 and was making potions worth 40+ thousand septims. they would boost an attribute by roughly 12000 points, and last for 38-40+ thousand seconds. it was rather funny, at level 6, i woud use my belt of summon saint and then kill and catch a golden saint's soul in one hit. the problem was, i would shatter my sword too. all without cheating. should there be a cap on the combined effects of potions? you can stack spells just as easily, you just need to make the same fortify spell with a slightly different name and cast again - but you would never reach the insane numbers you can get from potions. i got to thinking about it, and i wondered what the lowest leel your character can be and finish the game. i think, by following the quests, you might be able to do it at the minimum level required to get a quest from caisus. and this has turned into quite a disconnected rant, so i'll stop
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:45 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

if Alchemy too powerfull, then don't exploit it, limiting it
if physical too powerfull, strip off your armor...become naturalist.
if want to finish the game at lowest lvl, then try it - after all MW came with freedom in play
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:50 pm
Vanderghast
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I found out equiping my Vampyre with a Ring of Godhood made my character way too powerful. But jumping is cool!

I unequiped the ring, and put it down at my table in Wolfen castle, and left but my stats are still enhanced. Once a god always a god i guess!

Quote the Gully Dwarf, Nevermore!
Member og the WWW
Member of the Non-Flamers Guild
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:10 am
Jamisan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

you can exploit almost every part of the game, it's part of the freedom they give you. every one has their own way of beating the game, and a;chemy is probobly one of the more rare, but more interesting ways to do ti.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:18 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Thing is, to do the alchemy, you've gotta find the ingredients. That isn't always easy, and some ingredients don't seem to show up in merchants' inventories much. If you're willing to spend the time finding and clicking on 50 corkbulb plants, there should be some reward, right?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:18 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nope, Alchemy is *very* easy to abuse...

Naa, I disagree. Once you work out how merchant stock levels work and figure out how to abuse them, you're sorted. Alchemy requires people to decide not to abuse it, which kinda makes me think they got the payout scales wrong.

Easiest to abuse this in Balmora, at Nalcarya's alchemical shop. Replenishable stock is calculated quite simply - if the number of items is negative it represents stock that will regenerate after you leave the barter screen. However, it makes no sense to sell someone a load of items which then don't appear in the stock list, so for negative values the number of items you sell them are *taken away* from the negative value, giving a larger number of replenishing items.

So, find a good potion made from low-cost items - Water Walking maybe, requires Scales and Kwama Cuttle. Nalcarya starts with 20 of each I believe. Buy them all. Now go back and sell them back. Now purchase *40* of each from her. Now sell them back. Now purchase *80* from her...

After you've got a good stock of ingredients select your alchemy kit, select all the items and hammer the "Create" button. After your Alchemy skill reaches something like 20-30, with a decent alchemy kit you'll be breaking even on buying ingredients and selling potions. After that it's all profit and multiple trips to the Creeper! Sucessfully making potions raises your skill bit by bit, further adding to the chance of sucessfully making the potion, and also incidentally the value...

This technique needs a bit of set up, but once the merchant has an increased amount of the item they'll always sell that amount. Takes a while to get 100 stock of an item originally tagged as "-1" or "-2", but you only need to do it once.

I'm still looking for a vendor with a replenishable stock of diamonds though, so I suppose you still have to do *some* hunting...
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

it is very easy to abuse, and fun. i head over to the second floor of the wolverine? ( can't quite remmbe rhte name right now) fort and buy the ingredients to make int potions. at level one, i decided to try and complete azura's quest. i cranked up my int for 100% success on creating potiions, and made some really powerful speed, wwaterwalk, and strength potions, and then didthe quest. it was really hard to do, but in the end i completed the quest. it is kind of fun running around the island perimiter with a speed of about 1500. you can circle the island in about 15 -20 minutes
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: Nope, Alchemy is *very* easy to abuse...

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
Easiest to abuse this in Balmora, at Nalcarya's alchemical shop. Replenishable stock is calculated quite simply - if the number of items is negative it represents stock that will regenerate after you leave the barter screen. However, it makes no sense to sell someone a load of items which then don't appear in the stock list, so for negative values the number of items you sell them are *taken away* from the negative value, giving a larger number of replenishing items.
I'm still looking for a vendor with a replenishable stock of diamonds though, so I suppose you still have to do *some* hunting...
Son of a buck! This really works. By the way, Nalcarya has a -3 for diamonds.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:39 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Nope, Alchemy is *very* easy to abuse...

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Son of a buck! This really works.

Cool eh? Your next task is to find the nearest two shops to your usual hangout that sell replenishable stocks of ingredients for Fortify Intelligence... I've got a stock of them beside my bed! Abuse of the system? Yeah. But I'm playing this char through any way I please, then working out some ground rules for the next char. No abuse of Alchemy is definitely on the list...

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
By the way, Nalcarya has a -3 for diamonds.

Well that about takes the biscuit. I trek all the way over the island looking for diamonds and they're right under my nose...

Whenever I bought a diamond from her one disappeared from the shelf, so I decided not to buy any more - aesthetics y'see... If only I'd bought a few more...

Ah well, I found a replenishing stock somewhere (forget where) and now I have a bedside table filled with over 100 diamonds, piles of emeralds and rubies, pearls, lumps of ebony and Dwemer coins. After generating tons of cash through abusing Alchemy I found I didn't really need the money anymore, so I just started hoarding gemstones and things...
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:44 pm