RPGDot Network    

Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A little "bug" in Gothic..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've been playing Gothic for quite some time now, and I'm having a lot of fun every time I complete it, but I'm also pretty annoyd by something: I keep jumping out to Windows!

For some reason the game just stops and sends me back to windows. If I re-enter the game I can continue playing(after loading an old save, of course), but after an hour or so it sends me back into windows.

Anybody had this experience?

A little comment on Gothic:
Great game, but not as non-linear as I was hoping for(after the first chapter you end up having a pretty linear game).

Looking forward to Gothic 2! =)
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:37 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You are jumping from window while playing Gothic?

Do not do it, it can be dangerous (in what floor do you live?)
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:41 am

I, too, have experienced various crashes in the game. Most of the time it simply makes me re-load the game (and I never lose more than 10 minutes of gameplay ... seeing as it's not safe to save less than that,) but sometimes it can be really deadly.

Sometimes, when I crash, the game retains control of my keyboard, and I am unable to type without restarting the computer. This can be very annoying, seeing as the game crashes very often.

And once, the game crashed when I was saving a game! It deleted that game, and set me back about 5 hours! Pure evil.

Despite the fact the game is buggy and made by a bunch of dirty Germans, it's one of the best RPGs out there. Bravo.

Rattlesnake,
Anon Knight
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:47 am

Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I think there's some memory leak or such.
Make sure you don't have any unnecessary programs running in the background.
CTRL ALT DELETe and check what's running,all you absolutely need is explorer and systray.
Mine was crashing too (T-bird,256 Meg RAM) but I was able to run for 4+ hours before it happened.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:47 am
Cheapy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A bug in Gothic? Much like the "Stuck in Talk-Mode" one, or the "infinite potions one", or the "raw meat one", or the "jump on the railing and be stuck swimming on it" or the "if your falling, hold down Right Arrow" one?

Or was it just a meatbug?
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:08 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-03-22 00:37, Maylander wrote:
For some reason the game just stops and sends me back to windows. If I re-enter the game I can continue playing(after loading an old save, of course), but after an hour or so it sends me back into windows.

Anybody had this experience?

Randomly or when you fight multiple enemies? Is there an error message?
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:28 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I experience it all of a sudden.. it can happen at any point of the game, and when I press CTRL-ALT-DELETE it says "gothic V1.08 - not answering".

Oh well.. guess I'll have to live with it! =)
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:28 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Is your computer under spec for the game or is it over-clocked?

I had the exact same random crashes to the desktop with the exact error message in Win2K. In my case it helped to reduce the video resolution and distance. Too many textures trying to load at once I think.

I also had to have my computer fixed, because it was over-clocked. Those two things reduced the crashes from happening every 15/60 minutes to happening every 5/6 hours. I never did get them to go completely away. It isn't a perfect solution, but it might help. Good luck.

Also--My computer is below game spec.

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:45 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

WIth ctrl alt delete I meant you might want to do it in advance of running the game.
Quit every prog running apart from systray and explorer.(you can leave em_exec too if you have it,it's the mousewheel)
It will reduce the progs running in the background and hence free some more memory...it could even be some minor conflict with one of those that make Gothic crash...
Since it's timebased it does seem to me like some other prog...you don't have the infamous Fast find running? (part of Office...it's a notorius crash prog...)
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:06 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know what you meant.. I've got a 1,5Ghz machine with Geforce 2 and 128 RD-RAM so running it shouldn't be a problem.

I close down all programs except the Asus program, soundblaster program, explorer and systray, but I am still experiencing the jumps. Also, the barrier turns into flashes of light filled with runes instead of the lightning thingy.

Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-03-22 13:34, Maylander wrote:
I know what you meant.. I've got a 1,5Ghz machine with Geforce 2 and 128 RD-RAM

The 128MB are your problem.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:36 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Shouldn't be a problem due to the fact that it is RD, not SD RAM.. pretty big differense.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:38 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

rdram or not, you really need 256mb (preferably more)to run games like Gothic well.

Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Not enough is not enough.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:49 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yep,128 Meg RAM is still 128 Meg memory whether RDRAM,DDR or SDRAM...
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next