BG2 is overrated
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

BG2 is overrated

before you start swearing at me, at least hear me out.

I think Bg2 is a good game with its great non-linear gameplay,Character customization, story, and crisp 2d graphics but to me, it doesnt have that athmosphere and "feel" to it.Its probably because of the map based system, you just click and you're there, there's not much exploration, to me exploring every bit of the gameworld is important. Also, the FRUSTRATION of save load save load crud is so annoying.

But perhaps the most annoying thing for me is how damn long it takes for the chars to level up, it takes a hell of a lot of time and effort. It takes like 2 chapters for my main char to lvl up! soooooooo annoying.

oh another thing,

those @$#@%$#% bugs are really getting in my nerves,
I sometimes have to wait 15 damned minutes before the "you may not rest at this time" crap stops appearing. I have the latest patch and still the bugs keep coming, my kensai has gone blind for some unknown reason, ive tried everything and it looks like im gonna have to start over again.

dont get me wrong though...... I think Bg2 is OK but IMHO, it shouldnt have gotten all the credit and attention that was given to it.

Oh well

Last edited by hoyp on Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:34 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

BG2 is awesome. If you cant hack it, dont play it.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:25 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

@hoyp

"...it doesnt have that athmosphere and "feel" to it." = very subjective thing; shouldn't compare it with recent games. BG 1 appeared when there was no great CRPGs available, let alone one with great atmosphere.

"there's not much exploration" = i never felt that way.

"FRUSTRATION of save load save load crud is so annoying." = i never got annoyed by the save feature.

"It takes like 2 chapters for my main char to lvl up!" = depend on how you play the game and how you create the characters in begining, or how much you know about D&D second edition rules set.

"those @$#@%$#% bugs are really getting in my nerves," = i finish BG several times without any patch. Never found a game breaking or an annoying bugs.

A lot of different factors/experiences will affect you to like or not like BG series.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:33 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
@hoyp

"there's not much exploration" = i never felt that way.

"FRUSTRATION of save load save load crud is so annoying." = i never got annoyed by the save feature.

"It takes like 2 chapters for my main char to lvl up!" = depend on how you play the game and how you create the characters in begining, or how much you know about D&D second edition rules set.

"those @$#@%$#% bugs are really getting in my nerves," = i finish BG several times without any patch. Never found a game breaking or an annoying bugs.

A lot of different factors/experiences will affect you to like or not like BG series.

im not annoyed with the save feature, its the frustrating battles that make me save/load/save/load

oh and im not comparing it to recent games

with the bugs i guess im just unfortunate:)

im tired of ppl always comparing good games (old or new)
to the BG series, they say that all games are pathetic and that the only Rpgs worth playing are the ones created by black isle studios.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:27 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
BG2 is awesome. If you cant hack it, dont play it.

hey man, Im not saying that Bg2 is a bad game, I just think that it doesnt deserve all the credit that it got.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:37 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

@Hyop:

"im not annoyed with the save feature, its the frustrating battles that make me save/load/save/load" = BG & IWD series reguires some group battle strategy on your part. Maybe because some player unused to the battle/gameplay; IWD 2 got worst repetitive save/load trend, but probably that's the way the game have to be played, you save before battle especially big battle, then you observe your battle strategy & the out comes, figure it up why you lose (load the game, maybe several time if you not good at the gameplay), then improve its to overcome the battles; so maybe you don't like that kind of gameplay. Everyone has their own prefered play styles. I'm O.K with the battles in BG, thus always no need for repetitive saving/loading.

"oh and im not comparing it to recent games...with the bugs i guess im just unfortunate:)" = could be the case.

"im tired of ppl always comparing good games (old or new)
to the BG series, they say that all games are pathetic and that the only Rpgs worth playing are the ones created by black isle studios." = That 's their opinions, no need to take them as a fact. Some players would say Ultima 1 as ultimate CRPG, but that's not universal truth, not to mention the player preferences, or ultimate CRPG of their own/respective generations. My personal "Ultimate CRPGs" would include BG or Elder Scrolls series just as what other persons say Ultima 1 is Ultimate CRPG...You would say Gothic is ultimate CRPG but other peoples won't say so...

Edited for typos.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:47 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
@Hyop:

" That 's their opinions, no need to take them as a fact. Some players would say Ultima 1 as ultimate CRPG, but that's not universal truth, not to mention the player preferences, or ultimate CRPG of their own/respective generations. My personal "Ultimate CRPGs" would include BG or Elder Scrolls series just as what other persons say Ultima 1 is Ultimate CRPG...You would say Gothic is ultimate CRPG but other peoples won't say so...

Edited for typos.

i know that too

and two more things

I havent found the ULTIMATE rpg yet...... hopefully its gothic 2

Believe it or not,

I Think that the EOB sereis has a better athmosphere and feel to it than the bg series... Maybe somethings wrong with my head
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:58 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
@Hyop:

"im not annoyed with the save feature, its the frustrating battles that make me save/load/save/load" = BG & IWD series reguires some group battle strategy on your part. Maybe because some player unused to the battle/gameplay; IWD 2 got worst repetitive save/load trend, but probably that's the way the game have to be played, you save before battle especially big battle, then you observe your battle strategy & the out comes, figure it up why you lose (load the game, maybe several time if you not good at the gameplay), then improve its to overcome the battles; so maybe you don't like that kind of gameplay. Everyone has their own prefered play styles. I'm O.K with the battles in BG, thus always no need for repetitive saving/loading.

Edited for typos.

Im ok with it but there are just some battles that are virtually impossible to win....

oh and its HOYP not hyop
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:01 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by hoyp

Im ok with it but there are just some battles that are virtually impossible to win....

Battles in it are tough, but not impossible. I won the game, from BG1 all the way to the ending in Throne of Bhaal, and you cannot tell me that they are impossible, because I beat everything that was thrown at us, including the final battles. And i was playing a mage, which is probably the hardest class to play because they start out so wimpy. Seriously, all it takes is brains and patience.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:15 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
quote:
Originally posted by hoyp

Battles in it are tough, but not impossible. I won the game, from BG1 all the way to the ending in Throne of Bhaal, and you cannot tell me that they are impossible, because I beat everything that was thrown at us, including the final battles. And i was playing a mage, which is probably the hardest class to play because they start out so wimpy. Seriously, all it takes is brains and patience.

i know that but sometimes it takes a lot of high lvl chars (which i dont have)

and stuff like that..
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:24 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I tried BG2 several times. And I was not able to finish it. Partly because it is difficult game, partly because I didnt love it enough.
There is several reason for this and mainly character developement which is most important thing in RPG (of course only for me).
But I know for sure that it is great game for other people...
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:35 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I finally found one char that I enjoyed playing. A multiclassed Thief, Mage, Fighter. I guess I'm not much into party playing. I finally lost interest (third time through the game) as I realized that she reached her max level, while being lvl 11-13 in each subclass. Quite shitty for endgame. Didn't bother d/l user-made hacks to remove the level cap. Just unloaded the game and moved on.
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:35 am
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
I tried BG2 several times. And I was not able to finish it. Partly because it is difficult game, partly because I didnt love it enough.
There is several reason for this and mainly character developement which is most important thing in RPG (of course only for me).
But I know for sure that it is great game for other people...

Danicek! I didn't know you frequented this forum.

Hafta disagree with the character development thing. All of those deep philosphical (and sometimes romantic) conversations that you have with your party members really put BG2 on the top of the list as character development goes.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:55 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by shai_aus
Danicek! I didn't know you frequented this forum.

Since I currently play IWD2 I do... :].
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:32 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

BG II is my first ever real DnD RPG, and I have to say its really kewl

I like it a lot, very interesting, funny, witty, and hard... a little toio hard for a novice but I am learning fast.

I definately see why its so popular its a great game, and thats from a non RPG dedicate
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next