Fallout 1 Problem under Win 200
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
DarkStar723
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fallout 1 Problem under Win 200

I installed Fallout on my Windows 2000 system earlier today, and have been having a strange problem where the screen goes dark every minute or two, running the mouse cursor over the pure black screen causes the area under the cursor to return to its normal color. Also the character data screen tends to flicker somewhat.

All of my drivers are completely up to adate, and i have the 1.1 patch.

System Specs:
Windows 2000 Pro
Geforce FX 256 MB
AMD Athlon 1.8 Ghz
512 MB DDRAM
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:02 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I've found a couple of threads around the net with the same problem but I'm afraid there was no specific solution, other than calling up the Pipboy whenever it happens which will fill in the black areas.

Interplay recommend you run your desktop @ 800x600x 16 bit. Also, create a desktop shortcut to start the game (if you haven't already), right-click the icon, click Properties, Compatibility, select Windows 95, 640x480 and 256 colours.

Good luck.
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:41 am
DarkStar723
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you use the compatibility wizard, it supposedly fixes the whole thing, but, with windows 2000, you dont get the compatibiility wizard, so im stuck looking for other solutions...
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:26 pm
The wizard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I am not to sure about that hotshot.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:50 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by DarkStar723
If you use the compatibility wizard, it supposedly fixes the whole thing, but, with windows 2000, you dont get the compatibiility wizard, so im stuck looking for other solutions...

You do get a compatibility wizard with Win2000 if you have upgraded to Service Pack 2 (or higher), but you have to activate it first. It's not as complete as XP's compatibility wizard, though.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:53 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

OK, I think I may have an answer to this.

I have been playing Fallout for a few days. Last night, I turned on the "Auto Hide" option for the task bar. When I was playing Fallout, I started noticing the same thing that you describe where the screen goes black. I would pull up the Character screen to get rid of the black. Once I turned off the "Auto Hide" option, the screen did not go black anymore.

My guess is that when the cursor hits the bottom of the screen and pulls up the taskbar is when the screen goes black.

Hope this helps.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:53 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by _gator
My guess is that when the cursor hits the bottom of the screen and pulls up the taskbar is when the screen goes black.

I tried to reproduce this on another system and could not do it, so your fix may not work for everyone. Maybe it only works on some operating systems or some type of video card.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:57 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just for completeness of the issue.....Windows 2000 Pro SP4, Mobility Radeon 32MB video card.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:15 pm