Members
Usergroups
Morrowind comes across as a "kiddie game"
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Benji

Morrowind comes across as a "kiddie game"

Morrowind seems to have the same ambiance as the new Star Wars films that Lucas is spewing out.

Everything seems a little too timid and santitized.

I have yet to see anyone intoxicated; no one ever smokes anything. And apparently there is a "skooma addiction" problem, but this is also no where to be seen. There are no children because the developers "didn't want them to get hurt". Dancers in the red light district are fully clothed. There is no blood or gore anywhere except the red explosion symbol that indicates a hit. And although Morrowind is suppose to be this harsh cruel landscape, the closest thing to profanity I have heard is someone remarking, "Are you here to start trouble or are you just stupid?". This sounds like a middle school playgound taunt.

Its a digitized interactive Star Wars wannabe. This is nothing like the mature scenerios that were introduced in Daggerfall. Daggerfall was a game for adult role players where Morrowind hams it up for the kiddies.

The be white TEEN stamped on the front of the box seems too appropriate. There is no "Parental Guidance" suggested; just be a big fat vanilla TEEN stamped right there on the box.

It is still a fun game but it is so dissappointing when one starts thinking about all this game could have been. Well, at least Wal-Mart will stock your game now, isn't that right Bethesda?
Post Sun May 19, 2002 10:49 pm

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Sad to hear this since I loved Daggerfall and didn't get MW yet. But after browsing through the forums quite frequently it was the exact impression I got.
Really sad.

Now, the new SW movie at least had the clone troopers to make me happy despite all the rest. I wonder what MW will do to guarantee that.
Post Sun May 19, 2002 10:54 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Yeah. It would be nice to have more blood and gore with decapitations and dismemberment. I want to hack off body parts as the kill move. Profanity and nudity would also help. How about a patch
Post Sun May 19, 2002 11:18 pm
SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes I would have liked to see the npc's actually sit down and smoke some ancient pipe or drinking a glass of ale . . . just to add to the environment of a living world. However, the game is still one of the best and although I would have liked to see more of a lean towards the mature player, I find the game's content to be excellent.
Post Sun May 19, 2002 11:31 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion...

HOWEVER...

It is a role playing environment. This means you must bring something to the table. Like an imagination. And there is the construction set which allows you to build whatever you want into YOUR game and you can post your mod for others of like mind to enjoy.

The basic world is fabulous, and I'm very happy that my 8 year old can play it too (since what ever game I'm currently playing HE wants to play).

If you feel that the world as is is simply too vanilla for you and you don't wish to spend time building it to suit your proclivities, well, go play Halo where you can see the bloody remains staining the snow.

I think roleplaying games are very good for kids. It helps them explore the consequenses of their actions, the possible attitudes they might wish to expound, yet they do not have to live with those results in the real-world. My son has played UO, EQ and AC. I like the real person he's become and how, after playing thieves, pkers, and generally nasty people, he usually chooses now to play 'heroes' and in rl? He's the coolest kid I've ever met.

This game is generalized to appeal to a broad player base, but it includes the ability to modify the game to individual inclinations.

I am very saddened that Benji and others have termed it TEEN and called that a bad thing.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:19 am

sad, but I agree. Morrowind feels like it was sanitized for kids protection. boooring atmosphere... Anyone wants to make a Gothic or Fallout2 mod?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:19 am

ring
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It comes across as a family safe game to me too, which IS a little depressing to me. I'm a big fan of fantasy writing, just check out George R R Martin for a wonderful fantasy series that doesn't hold anything back. These high-middle-ages style fantasy settings are usually just like the real settings of high MA Europe: Gritty, dirty, violent, oppressive, terror filled. Weak things die. Most things die anyway, and young. There aren't any old people, unless they're nobility. Even still, nobility has a nasty habbit of dying young and very very nasty deaths. Check out Edward the II, for a not very well liked king (perhaps homosexual?) who was killed with a red hot poker to the... um, thing you sit on the throne with.

It just reinforces the idea that most people consider video games a child/teen thing. You won't find too much gritty reality in them, because they WOULD get that dreaded adults-only rating, and it's really sad. You'll never get funding for a game like that because the vendors won't sell it.

Blood and guts is almost a different story, at least here in America. We're not as offended about blood and guts as we are about anything sexual. I shouldn't have to "just use my imagination" as the prude says, when no one has to use their imagination to see the red splashes of blood and the dead corpses on the ground. It's a FANTASY game, for crying out loud, it's not real life. Depict fantasy, and if people want it, they'll buy it. (if you don't censor it into oblivion with your silly ratings.)

Do NOT keep adults from having a fantasy game, in a vain, idiotic, misguided, ineffectual effort to keep the world safe for young kids. Instead, how about you get parents to keep an eye on what their kids do, before they get into worse things than disturbing images on a computer screen.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:49 am
ring
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

though, on the other hand I did have a temple guard offer to kill me and rape my corpse today. Very unexpected. I guess that's what I get for taunting him.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:51 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by ring
I shouldn't have to "just use my imagination" as the prude says

*LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY* Prude? Little boy, you have NO idea. And yes, I did my best not to insult in my last post, but pha-leeze!

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:53 am
bolopunq
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

have u noticed that calsus has a pipe under his bed, and that there is some moon sugar on his table? is he a junkie?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 1:47 am
benji

ohbrandi, you punctuated my point very dramatically, thank you.

Morrowind is a game that overprotected mothers think is great for their little precious babies to play. That is my point, exactly.

Daggerfall was not something you would want your precious little hero boy to play, was it? Of course not. Because it was engineered from the very beginning to be a role playing game for adults. Same with Fallout 2.

My point is that it is very dissapointing to see that Morrowind went the route of the kiddie game. I believe the console ports have a lot to do with this. And I am sure Bethesda enjoys all the pats on the back from liberal politicians for "self policing" the industry. It is just disappointing to see they didn't have the balls to continue the Daggerfall franchise.

It is still a great Role Playing Game, don't get me wrong. In fact, it is probably the best one I have played since Fallout 2. But it is not the best role playing game ever, but it very well could have been if the Daggerfall enthusiam was kept up.

Just dissapointing... still a great game. Even for mommies little hero.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 1:53 am

Solude

No offense to the poster or his like minded players but blood and sex do not make an adult game. Actually these are very much child wants, not adults.

Just like your Star Wars example, Morrowind isn't high on the gore. They are both high on action though. They both do have lots of death. But more importantly they both have epic back stories. Or in other words, they're going somewhere one step at a time.

That's where the adults and children split. Star Wars for kids is 'wow look at the light saber fights!' for the adults it's 'hmm so he's done this and that which look like this but are in fact for this...' Sorry don't want to give away the plot to those that haven't seen it. End result is Star Wars:Attack of the Clones is one you'll likely watch twice if you're an adult and have more interest in the rich back story than the flashy battles.

Morrowind is very alike. On the surface you could say it's a pretty hack and slash but you'd be part of group A, the children. If on the other hand you plow through the hack and slash to get that much closer to what's really going on and how you are involved then you're part of group B, the adults.

Since someone is going to say that not all 12 year olds are group A and not all 30+ are group B. Think of it as more of a mindset.

Solude
Post Mon May 20, 2002 1:57 am

attack of the clones sucked!
Post Mon May 20, 2002 2:33 am

quote:
Originally posted by Solude
No offense to the poster or his like minded players but blood and sex do not make an adult game. Actually these are very much child wants, not adults.

Exactly. And you don't need profranity and nudity to make a good "adult" game. I love Morrowind the way it is..some people are just stupid. If you don't like Morrowind because there is no profanity or nudity or whatever, I got a simple tip for you, go play something else. kthxbye.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 2:48 am

quote:
I love Morrowind the way it is..some people are just stupid.

Uh oh... you guys are making the children upset. Lol.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 2:50 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next