Install SoU now or wait?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Install SoU now or wait?

I have been playing for first time and love it. I'm still chapter one, and just getting used to all the stuff and how to use it ect so I'm moving slow, but wonder if I install SoU now will it give me help or more stuff to do and learn which I don't want. Any advantages to adding it now is my question. Just a few yes or no's is all I want, you don't have to lay out the game for me, I will read up on that as I go along. Thanks for input.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

SoU adds a few things that might be enjoyable during the OC. Installing SoU really wouldn't obligate you to learning "extra stuff" if you didn't want to.

If you play the OC with a character that uses light or no armor (casters, rogues, monks), SoU's addition of the tumble skill would be VERY helpful.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:56 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks dte, I guess I'll just plow through a few more chapters then, as I like to see what a game was made up as from scratch if I can. I am loving this one for sure.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:05 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Two things that come to my mind are Divine power and Shield. Could get handy if you're a paladin with high charisma modifier, I guess...
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:24 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Right now I have straight fighter, using the recommend button. I have been thinking now that I see how the game works and the things used against me that I need some level of majic at my disposal, so was thinking to start putting some points into bard or soccerer. I have been replaying a lot of the parts to test out the weapons, skills, the different henchmen, as well as trying to finish their quests so I can level as much as possible. Hard to know what to pick when you never played before. I put twenty RL hours in and then replayed with a different henchmen to see if one leveled faster, did better in what type of fight, ect. If someone has suggestion as to what is best for fighter to add on let me know. Thanks.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:41 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

A little advice. Don't try to multiclass in the original game. You need to plan out your char's development. If you are a vanilla fighter, then take a henchie with magic . They should complement your main char, not duplicate. Half the fun of the game, is playing with different char types. Avoid Bards, they are weak secondary chars, useful in MP, but not SP. Dte and I have played many char types, so ask for advice whenever you need it. I know more about casters and he prefers tanks.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:55 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

generally speaking, if you've got a typical fighter - i.e. one who depends on medium/heavy armor - choosing wiz or sorc would be a bad idea.

you'll be taking off your armor whenever you want to cast a spell.

if you are playing a DEX based fighter, then it might work.

one of my worst character builds right now is a 10Barbarian/2Wizard. at that level of character, 1st lvl arcane spells aren't particularly useful. what do I use him for? well when i'm testing a module, if i want to determine if its overly easy, I run that guy through it. if i don't have a hard time, then it's hardly a module suitable for a 12th level character.

i've always been partial to mixing fighter with other fighter-types though. Fighter/Ranger is the best, methinks.

i think my three favourite base classes are Fighter, Ranger, Rogue. In no particular order. I like making mixes of those three.

i would have to disagree with corwin above though. the original campaign exists in and of itself. you won't use your OC character in any future Bioware modules, just in other user-created ones. it's easy enough as it is (my opinion) so you can afford to waste a level here and there on frivolities.

OTOH your SoU character should ideally be well-planned.

bards ARE weak though, by default anyway. but harper scouts are even weaker, hehe.
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:07 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by konny666

If only you could take off your armor in combat...

Aw, plain fighters have lots of feats at their disposal, especially if combined with humans. I personally would never multiclass a fighter, not even with other fighter classes. because then I would be loosing a feat every two levels.

As for recommended button, I do not recommend it. It wastes precious skill points to useless abilities, like parry for example.
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:55 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for the tips. I went with human fighter. I thought that parry feat seemed a little useless. I do like ranged weapons as well but I think I'll build on this one for a while and see what happens. I can see now I will be starting over a few times to get the feel of all the classes ect. before I know what I want to be when I grow up. I am building for SoU so I do want to get one good character for that just to see what it is about. Thanks for tips. Now on with the fight.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:03 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

It seems booring to start over and over again... Try downloading the module "Advance hall of training" or "Hall of advance training" (not completely sure about the name). It can help you percieve a class a bit better. Or at least, it helped me.
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:15 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks hw. I'll keep it in mind. I still want to play through at least most of the OC before I get too fancy. I didn't really play over and over that much, I tried out different items from stores, all the henchmen for a few fights, and a few of the different weapons ect just to see what they did ect. Basicly kept advancing in the game to some degree at same time. Just did a little backtracking but kept quests alive. I'm sure I'll be posting again soon for more help. I have to search now on how to kill the flying swords or what ever they were. They did me in and I quit last night.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:31 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by hwfanatic
quote:

If only you could take off your armor in combat...

Aw, plain fighters have lots of feats at their disposal, especially if combined with humans. I personally would never multiclass a fighter, not even with other fighter classes. because then I would be loosing a feat every two levels.

As for recommended button, I do not recommend it. It wastes precious skill points to useless abilities, like parry for example.

Taking 1 level of ranger is an excellent tactic for any DEX/LightArmor-based fighter. "Dual Wield" for free.

Parry doesn't have a use in any of bioware's campaigns, but in some low-level modules and ESPECIALLY low-level multiplayer (PWs) with large player groups... parry can work quite well! It only becomes truly useless at higher levels or in munchkin worlds.

That said, after about level 8 or so, it's probably not worth it. and if you're someone who's got a ton of feats to waste, a better defensive tactic is "Expertise" but you have to waste ability points to bring your INT to 13 for that.

still, its not TOTALLY useless, and i've seen people making good use of it on some PW servers. however it *is* very useless for all of the bioware single-player campaigns!
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:18 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:

That said, after about level 8 or so, it's probably not worth it. and if you're someone who's got a ton of feats to waste, a better defensive tactic is "Expertise" but you have to waste ability points to bring your INT to 13 for that.

still, its not TOTALLY useless, and i've seen people making good use of it on some PW servers. however it *is* very useless for all of the bioware single-player campaigns!

Having an Int 13 is needed for Weapons Master, though, (I think 'cuz expertise is required), so a fighter build w/ int 13 is not such a bad idea!!
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:57 pm