Usergroups
Gothic 2 English Version - First Impressions Thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think, overall they did a great job with G2! Of course, like anyone else, I have my likes and dislikes (things I'd like to see improved for G3). Therefore, that's how I'm going to list my impressions.

1. I love the overall size of the playable maps.
2. Good NPC day / night activities and schedules.
3. Good use of different quests for each guild.
4. Good music.
5. Good work in changes to Valley of Mines from G1.
6. Good variety of quests.
7. Good weather events.
8. Good work on "New" monsters.
9. Good to have so many NPC's from G1 in G2.
10. Reasonably good graphics.
11. Good animations.
12. Good to see more women in G2 than in G1.
13. I liked seeing the "Ambient" sheep and fish!
14. Good to see the Dev's actually reading these boards.
15. The whole "picking the ship's crew" part was excellent! I'd like to see more of this kind of player interaction in G3!
16. Great surprise ending!
*** Probably more, but these come to mind.

Dislikes

1. Diego's voice. (Enough said)
2. Lip synching was poor on localized version.
3. Shields would have been nice with 1-H weapons. (Maybe in G3?). I'd suggest making blocking automatic and make it a skill. The higher your mastery, the better the chance you'll block blows. Could make 2-H also automatically try to block with sword, so the skill is not for 1-H only.
4. Skelletons were a little too overpowered.
5. Dragons were too weak.
6. Strongly disliked skill-linking. (Must train 1-H & 2-H simultaneously! Wasted learning points!)
7. Not enough side quests in last two chapters. (All the great equiptment / spells, but not much to use it on).
8. Cooking meat worked better in G1. (Please put it back that way).
9. Run-jumping no longer gives a little speed boost to outpace chasing NPC's / monsters.
10. No pre-mage type quests available for all players. (Milita / Merc's have them, why not Mages?)
11. I preferred the specialization differences between the Fire / Water Mages in G1 over the Fire Mages knowing all in G2. (Maybe bring back for G3?)
12. Menu text didn't always match up with what was said. (Localization?)
13. Some info in Quest log not localized. (Runes, maybe other's)
14. Books that improve sword skills didn't work for Mage. Why?
15. Hunting skills too expensive. (Basic ones should be lower. Like G1)
16. Would have liked to see some 2nd floor areas with ladders / ropes to climb up. (Like Swamp Camp in G1)
17. Would like to see an "Ambient" bird, or some other amimals.
18. Would have liked just a little more info on who our "Nameless Hero" is.

**My best guess for our nameless hero's identity is......

King Rhobar's wayward son!
Thrown into the Penal Colony as punishment for his deeds (gambling, womanizing, drinking and stealing) and to toughen him up a little, King Rhobar always intended to get him back out in a few months. He may have even tasked him with finding out if there was any way to wrestle control of the colony away from Gomez and the inmates. Then the war with the Orc's went really bad and the king just couldn't spare a ship or the manpower to go get him. The Paladins may have even had specific order's to bring him back if they found him. (Free idea, freely given to the Piranhas )
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:50 pm
bugeye
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

First of all, I would like to say that G1 is my preference.

I completed G2 yesterday as a mage. I am doing it again as a paladin, but I must confess that repeatability for this game is lower than for G1.

My reasoning however seems to be somewhat different from most. I like "in game" cheating.

What I mean by that, is that by exploring early, running and using other tricks you can power up early and become a "hero" faster than others.

In G1, you could sneak into orc territory in chapter one and end up being able to cast fireball, fist of wind and iceblock before even joining a camp. Also, armed with this, shortly after joining, you could "inherit" Scar's sword and thus take your place as a true "chosen one" which while making the overall game a little less balanced, you had to work for it and truly explore to find the advantages.

Whilst there were a couple of "secret" and hard areas in chapter one of G2, nothing useful was available and so dilligent exploring really benefitted little except to increase to low teen level before selecting a path.

I am firmly of the belief, that thourough exploration and dilligence should give a good deal more advantage to the beginning character than just experience points. (otherwise, what really is the use of exploring).

Failing that, I feel that the creators of G2 could have at least put waaay more baddies in chapter one,

Oh, and the ending was a letdown and I felt truly that there needed to be another twist after the final boss went down. When I went back to the ship to "set sail" I honestly felt that there was a turn in store and that there was more to come back in Khorinis.

Anyhow, I love both games and do not feel that I wasted my $50. I really didn't have high expectations for a sequel.

My 10 YO daughter is playing G1 on a computer next to me, and from what she sees in G2, she is in no race to play it. (yes, I told her that the "Red Lantern" was out of bounds for a 10 YO)

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:46 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7