Gothic 3 should be better known before getting a publisher
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic 3 should be better known before getting a publisher

Before PB tries to get a publisher for the english version of Gothic 3 they should try very hard to get it known in the US so that they will have a better chance of getting a good publisher for the game. An example is to try to get it on x-play and other game programs in the US and to get it in gaming Magaznes. another thing is try to make it very noticible at E3 and other gaming conventions and also make an english demo.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 7:18 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

oh one more thing is to get as many previews as possible and when it gets released get as many reviews as possible. A thing that alot of big games do is get a couple of the high scores on the box it's shipped in which would make it obvious to the gamer that it is probably a good game.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 7:32 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Actually, they shouldn't even mess with multilanguage game and create it in english from start. There's no denial that english is the international language and creating something in any other language, then waiting for a year or more before it's out in english, will simply diminish the interest and also the market for the product.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 8:32 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What you two are posting sounds rather uninformed.

a) JoWooD has the worldwide publishing rights for G2 and G3. They don´t even have to ask PB what they think about their distribution partner. Everybody read the news today?

b) The Gothic series is a number 1 hit in GAS, which is the world´s 2nd biggest market for PC games. Why would they even think about creating the next game in a foreign language? Do you expect them to invest in their weaknesses instead of focusing on their strength?
Post Wed May 26, 2004 11:09 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup yup and as we know now JoWooD found a new partner in US check the rpgdot for the news
Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:53 pm
Damelron
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I doubt that Gothic 3 will need to be known more before its released. I mean look how many people that already know about it here, and possibly on other forums on however many sites, and u know how it goes gamers tell other gamers and friends tell friends. So I doubt it will need to be more known. Because it already is.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 7:07 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Like Gorath also stated, Jowood focusses on the German market and Gothic 1 and 2 also were huge in Germany. The international release will not be top priority for Jowood. Although the latest news bit also shows that Jowood is trying to get a larger position on the US market too. In any case PB has nothing to do with the release, they make it and deliver it to Jowood.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 8:48 pm
a24710
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

it would be nice having both german and english spoken dialogs in the same relase and an option to choose between a lot of subtitles languages

for example spoken dialogs - english, german subtitles - english, german, spanish, french, portuguese, italian, etc...

and make a worldwide relase at once, just as, for example, vice city

i know this is difficult and expensive, and is almost impossible if the game is not a best seller, but it would be the optimal way to do it

pd:sorry for my english
Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:48 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Maybe a good option would be to try and release the German version with the option of having German or English subtitles.

It would be a lot cheaper than investing in English Voice recordings from the start

But then again that would hurt any English version that they released later...
Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:03 am
QreepyBORIS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

English isnt the multinational language.

It's Esperanto.

Oh, yeah.

But, I would love for them to advertise more in the U.S.

Could be lucrative.
I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!
Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:49 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

that idea that there would be german and english subtitles isnt very bad at all , i mean that way the game would be buyed by alot of gothic series fans [ordinary ppl who dont understand german they wont for sure buy a game with a language they dont understand and even if there are english subtitles they still wont spend on it much money but after the it will be released with full english voice overs then other ppl will buy it and probably also some fans]
Post Thu May 27, 2004 2:06 pm
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think it would be alot better if it had english and german voices and multiple language subtitles becuase since the game will ship with graphic quality on par with games that are being released during that time. Since it would be on par graphicaly with other games then it should sell alot more then Gothic 2 did.

The German market might be a very big market for PC games but it still can't compete with the rest of the world in PC game sales so if it is marketed properly in other countries they should sell alot more outside of the German speaking countries then from German speaking countries.

PS. Gorath: Sorry I didn't know about Jowood being the exclusive publisher for Gothic 3. They could do it for 4 if there is one but they could still maybe try to publicize it in other countries. The news you were talking about didn't go on rpgdot until after I posted.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:43 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
b) The Gothic series is a number 1 hit in GAS, which is the world´s 2nd biggest market for PC games.

What is the source of this data? I have a hard time believing the 98 million German speakers are playing more games than the 125 million Japanese and the 1 billion Chinese.

quote:
Why would they even think about creating the next game in a foreign language?

Because the English market is several times the German one.

quote:
Do you expect them to invest in their weaknesses instead of focusing on their strength?

That is exactly what they need to do. It's called "growth."

Gamers are very reluctant to take a chance on Gothic. What I would do is acquire the rights to Gothic I, which should be cheap at this point, and put the full version on the cover disc of a major English-language magazine, along with at least an English demo of G2, possibly the full version (depending on other factors), which cosmetic updates to both, such as pixel shaders and bump mapping.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:16 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
I have a hard time believing the 98 million German speakers are playing more games than the 125 million Japanese and the 1 billion Chinese.

But the German market is the second biggest market when it comes to PC games. You can ask basically any major publisher. Sure, there are 125 million people living in Japan. Too bad that the PC gaming market there is absolutely not significant? Ever thought about the reason why console games are the only kind of entertainment software ever making it to the Western market? Do you know a major Japanese PC developer?

quote:
1 billion Chinese.

And you think the attachment rate is the same as in Germany? Not to mention that piracy is a huge problem in that market and many publishers don't release their games officialy over there in the first place. It's a market with future without any doubt, but it's not as profitable as the German one yet.

quote:
Because the English market is several times the German one.

That's true for console games, if you're just looking at PC games, however, it's not that much bigger.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:00 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by guenthar
PS. Gorath: Sorry I didn't know about Jowood being the exclusive publisher for Gothic 3. They could do it for 4 if there is one but they could still maybe try to publicize it in other countries. The news you were talking about didn't go on rpgdot until after I posted.

No need to apologize.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:27 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next