Usergroups
Lionheart - Eat my own words
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.
Lionheart - Eat my own words

I have previously voiced some negative views on Lionheart.
I am going to take them all back now.
I have purchased the game and firgured out how to tweak my char to get the right setting I want ... playing with the targeting constantly and such. And I have to say ... all my previous words on this game were bullsh!t. The combat was hard to get used to, but like gothics controls, I got used to them pretty quickly after playing the fullversion and love it ... this game is wicked ... and Im glad I opened my closed mind and purchased it.
I wish more Iso Rpgs were this entrancing.
Thanks for putting up with my negativity I assure you I will think twice before complaining so vulgarly.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:16 am
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I like the game too. It has many minor flaws that make it lack the pollished feel of truly great RPGS, but once you get into it they are all forgiveable. The demo did nothing but highlight these flaws. I hope the next RPG that Reflexive develops will improve upon the strengths that make this game good and include some of the features that are missing form the game.

Enough with talking about it and back to the game
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:32 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Two weeks to go before it's available here but I'm glad to hear it's winning some people over.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:22 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Well…the further you go in the game the more fighting you have to do. I had higher expectations out of that one. I’m not saying the game is bad, but it won’t be on my list of the games “to be recommended”.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:59 pm
Wastelander
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lacking but pleasant

I really don't like the whole running around killing things aimlessly bit, I enjoy having more a purpose then merely getting stronger so I can kill something new. Unlike most people I will say that I like the graphics. It has a dark sort of blurred appearance to it, kind of like I am seeing it through someone else's eyes which I think is fitting with such a unique concept as alternate history. The quests are enjoyable and for the most part challenging with multiple solutions (a welcome factor in the age of "Go kill the horrible monstrous brood threatening our village"). And the look at the history is very interesting as it actually makes you think (an increasingly rare feat in CRPG's) for minute "what if?" The characters are fun and truly individual each with some depth likely due to the fact that many are historical figures. And listening to Shakespeare for speak will suddenly prompt the question "why don't we sound this cool today?"

One problem though is the sort of stupid looking stance you character and others have - you look like you've pooped your pants and are trying not to let the waste down into you boots. Either that or in some cases you look posed to fight some imminent danger that does not yet exist. The character models of your own and other characters seem lacking, like they were meant to be their combat models and they simply rushed the game enough as to fail to notice the lack of idle and peaceful non-confrontational looking models. This is however a minor problem and if you chose to ignore it you will find that the game has some rather lush content that you would forgive looking like an idiot for.

The SPECIAL system is a joy as always to work with and is welcome in my home and is the reason I bothered to play it at all. Fallout fans, like myself, will find the system easy to navigate (the interface is a little disorienting at first but you learn fast).

However, this game is slowly repeling me from it with all of the really boring battles. If the focus was going to be combat why couldn't I create a party and focus on tactical venues and party management in combat as opposed to just choosing a monster and waiting until it is killed by my spells or warhammer or I die in some stupid hitpoint bash-fest? I am not sure if I have the patience to play it much longer, even though it does have some promising aspects. I would suggest everyone with remote interest in Lionheart to not be disheartened by many of the more negative opinions on it and actually give it a try. This game seems to be on the fence and you can't be sure of whether or not you'll like it until you've played it, I think.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:39 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

any ISOMETRIC game that requires a p3 700 can kiss my a$$ ...

even though i can run it, it can still kiss my a$$ cause that kind of system requirement in a 2d isometric game is total BS ...

the only exciuse would be hyper-realistic AI scripting that requires heavy CPU cycles but I haven't heard any word of truly sophisticated AI being used in this game ....

it's processor requirements rival gothic 2's for f***s sake !
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:46 am
Dhruin

If your system is capable of handling it, what does it matter what the minimum requirements are?

As for the reason, my guess is the inbuilt antialiasing requires a little grunt.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:44 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If they were going to use a dated game engine, and charge normal retail price as other games, the game should have something extra. Lionheart does not. It has 1 main city, very boring quests towards for the later parts of the game, the animation is horrendous, there is no complex NPC interaction, and the combat is wholly frustrating.

Games like Gothic 2 and Morrowind (and Neverwinter Nights SOU) had a billion times better gfx engine and animation and also had so much more interesting gameplay, rather than simply insane and pointless wads of fighting.

The only thing going for Lionheart is its creative plot, but a plot alone doesn't make a game. Heck if i want a good plot, i'd just pick up a fantasy novel.

Shame on BlackIsle for putting its name on this.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:00 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

it reminds me of icewind dale... and sure it is not as much of a game as baldurs gate series ... but they wanted to get away from the whole d&d scheme ... and i think they did a very good job with lionheart ... its not really epic ... but the story is really interesting and the characters are pretty sweet ... I mean a Demokin (or however its spelt) with a mohawk and horns! thats pretty sweet... imho ... and the skill trees are nice and easy to use ... most people these days expect games to be groundbreaking ... weve all been spoiled so when something different comes along we criticize it ... im not saying it doesnt have problems ... even the fallout games had bugs! but im just saying its a different game ... and in a world of clones ... I like that.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:42 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

After playing the game nearly 20 hours, I can say that Lionheart is not a disappointment for me. I must admit that it is rather different from what i expected; but, combination of Diablo style gameplay with Black Isle style dialogs-quests-story and Fallout's experience system is a different and delicate taste for me.
I like the graphics of the game; character animations, architectures of the buildings, dungeons, armor and weapon graphics really deserve praising. Dungeon graphics and gameplay reminds me my Diablo 1 times. And some environments resemble Icewind Dale series.
I found the system requirements to high for such a 2D game. I am playing the game on my PIII 650 and it's slightly slow on it.(especially in bigger maps)
Main theme music of the game is excellent; but there's not enough sounds and musics to keep the atmosphere on high levels, i think.
In conclusion, i can say that i can not prevent myself to continue playing the game. I am playing because, it has one thing that so many recent RPGs do not have -spirit-

Lastly, i want to ask four questions to the developers of the game:
1)Why can i not give command to my character to strike an opponent while in pause mode
2)Why can i not take notes on the map and why are there no signs to show important locations in it
3)Why can i not read books that i found in the game
4)Why can i not overwrite to my previous saves

So, tell me why?
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:10 am