Microsoft: PC "Renaissence" Interview @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Microsoft: PC "Renaissence" Interview @ GameSpot

GameSpot has an <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150700.html" target="_blank">interview</a> with Microsoft's Rich Wickham, who is apparently tasked with <s>selling more copies of Vista</s> revitalising Windows as a gaming platform:<blockquote><em><b>GS: Can you give an example of how this shift in thinking has changed the way Microsoft is treating Windows Vista as a gaming platform?</b> <br> <br>RW: You heard Bill's announcement yesterday, we're bringing the Xbox Live service to Windows in a way that I think your readers and people that play games on Windows will be excited about. We're going to bring in cross-platform gaming. We're going to go give gamers what they want, which is the ability to access their games, the way they want to access them, where they want to access them, how they want to access them, and only Microsoft can do that. <br> <br>With Vista, we realized early on that gaming was something people really loved doing on the platform. In the operating system, you're going to find the games explorer, which sounds like the usual "my pictures, my documents, my games," but getting games on the start menu and having a tool that lets you immediately find, organize, and get metadata about your games is a really big deal for Microsoft. I think people will love the games explorer. I think they'll love the service that we use to update the information, and the ability to access saved games--true gamers will also find out how it's much better than things were in the past.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:05 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

"...we're bringing the Xbox Live service to Windows"

Oh boy I can hardly wait for that feature.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:06 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Are these people really that stupid? Consolization has been killing the PC, and Microsoft thinks that the answer is more consolization? Do these people realize that it's the X-Box that's killing the PC by taking away the best games and developers? Do these people not see all of the developers jumping ship and moving games over to consoles? Did these people not see how obviously Oblivion was designed for a console, and how much crap like that kills PC gaming?
Post Fri May 12, 2006 2:07 pm
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I hope Vista delivers better DRM, perhaps in the form of a service like the Steam software platform, which all developers could access.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 2:55 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I think the first thing that annoys people about these CRPG console/PC dual releases is the fact they are 'dumbed down' too much, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

For me at least a close second is the interface these games have where you have to sift through endless menu lists. How hard would it be for game developers to alleviate this annoyance and develop a separate interface for PC gamers. Sure the games will still be 'dumbed down' but at least they could get back a little bit of goodwill by making the interface better for PC users. I actually like Oblivion as a game, but I hate the interface.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 5:28 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
I think the first thing that annoys people about these CRPG console/PC dual releases is the fact they are 'dumbed down' too much, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

For me at least a close second is the interface these games have where you have to sift through endless menu lists. How hard would it be for game developers to alleviate this annoyance and develop a separate interface for PC gamers. Sure the games will still be 'dumbed down' but at least they could get back a little bit of goodwill by making the interface better for PC users. I actually like Oblivion as a game, but I hate the interface.

I feel the exact same way. Nowhere in Microsoft's plan to they mention this problem. This is why I am not optomisitc -- it appears that Microsoft has no understanding of the problem. They expect me to get excited about them releasing XBox 360 peripherals on the PC and the merging of XBox live and PC online gaming. Yipeee!!! Great idea guys! What about actually doing something PC gamers will give a crap about? Like getting companies like EA, Eidos, and Ubisoft back in the business of making lots of great PC-exclusive games again? Remember when Eidos used to make PC games? They published Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman, etc. Now they don't do crap for the PC. Remember when Bioware used to make a PC game or expansion pack every year? Remember when at least one fantastic PC RPG would come out every single year? Those days are gone, largely because of the X-Box.
Post Tue May 16, 2006 1:32 pm