Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Did you know that.. (fun facts about the Gothic games)..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Did you know that.. (fun facts about the Gothic games)..

Here are a few "fun facts" about the game from an old hardcore gamer. If you have anything of worth to add, or see anything I forget, feel free to add it!
(You may get a few spoilers, but nothing that will tell you anything of the plot or any quests)

Did you know that:
- Shrink works on ALL creatures, including dragons and the final boss?
- The final boss is considered undead, so "destroy undead" works on him..
- There is a "secret" cave in the water outside Khorinis. A pointless one really, but fun to know about nontheless.
- The holy sword of the paladin is shown in one of the picture of the original Gothic(one of the loading screens where Nameless Hero is about to attack a pack of snappers).
- The most effective way to kill things in either Gothic game is to use a speed potion, cast Rain of Fire, and run like the wind(rain of fire will follow you, and kill nearly everything in your path.. with a speed potion you can cover quite a distance before it ends).
- The world of Gothic 2 is 3 times bigger than that of Gothic 1, but in reality only 2,5 times bigger due to the fact that the colony has been reduced by a lot(orc barrier etc).
- You can go through the barrier in Gothic 1 in the mountains where you start without it killing you. Not much to see if you run around on the other side though.
- The "border" of the map in G2 is more difficult to find than in G1(where you found it easily by using the "shapechange fly spell"), BUT there is one spot where it is very easy to find(on your way to the Circle of the Sun, go to the right on a rock and you will fall into the void).
- The supersword and swampwitch myths(told by the same guy, lol), were just jokes(I've talk to people who believed in them long after most people realized they were jokes).
- If you change into a lurker and swim into the ocean, the ending scene will show you eaten as a human! :O
- Gorn attacking you in G1 is not random. It is triggered by him being hit by a bolt(yes, even enemy bolts).
- The experience you gain from an enemy is the enemies' level * 10(if you kill a level 24 enemy, you gain 240 experience, and so on..).
- The spell in the game with the most potential damage is Shrink, because it can reduce a powerful enemys'(a Black Troll for instance) hit points by far more than any other spell(if you target a powerful enemy you can take thousands of hit points of it).
- If you are a fire mage and get attacked by a human, other humans nearby will kill the one attacking you(you are a holy man, after all).
- Our hero is probably NOT the character of a prophecy. Most likely Xardas has made it all up to get our hero to do his bidding(I read a post from a PB member about "haven't you ever considered that Xardas might be lying" when asked about Gothic turning into the clichè: "You are the Chosen to kill all evil").

Keep in mind that all this is before the add-on. If changes were made in the add-on to any of this, I am not aware of it.

If you have anything to add, please do so! =) I'll keep adding as I remember things. Haven't played the games in quite a while, so it'll probably come back to me now that I start all over.

Also, I wouldn't mind this being made a sticky, so that we can gather all the "bizarre facts" of Gothic in a single thread. Things like these are nice to know about, especially for a hardcore gamer who has completed the game too many times(I mean, I consider Gorn and Diego better friends than most of my real-life friends ).
Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:58 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Re: Did you know that.. (fun facts about the Gothic games)..

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
- Our hero is probably NOT the character of a prophecy. Most likely Xardas has made it all up to get our hero to do his bidding(I read a post from a PB member about "haven't you ever considered that Xardas might be lying" when asked about Gothic turning into the clichè: "You are the Chosen to kill all evil").

He isn't? Gosh, I don't know about that... Having killed quite a lot of humans, just as many orcs, thrice as many critters and six dragons, well, I guess that could be done by any ordinary person just as well...
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:47 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

This may be old news, but I've never seen anything posted about it.

Anyway, when you load a game during G2, the head of Batman appears above the left shoulder of the "Hero" just off in the distance on the side of a mountain.

Its not significant during gameplay, just an interesting bit of info.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:31 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Really? Batman? I haven't noticed this, I'll have to look for it the next time I play the game!

Well, I never said anything about our Nameless Hero not being special, or a great fighter/mage(whatever you prefer), but the whole Chosen One of Innos is probably not true, only something Xardas said to convince our Hero that he is capable of doing anything. My guess is that Xardas would've told anyone who were able to beat his golems that he was "the chosen" in order to get him to face the Sleeper(so that Xardas could steal the Sleepers' powers).
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:04 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Really? Batman? I haven't noticed this, I'll have to look for it the next time I play the game!

Yea, look just above the hero's left shoulder during the load screen where he's blocking a blow from an Orc. It's carved in stone on the mountains in the background.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:13 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sort of an easter egg this one! Don't think too many people have noticed this, thanks!
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:18 am
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

but the chosen one story continues in g2, where your told that only the chosen of innos can wear the eye of innos
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:41 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Told by whom? Xardas! Lord Hagen agrees to give you the eye in return for confirmation on the Dragons, and doesn't say anything about you having to be Chosen.. as far as I know, only Xardas ever mentions anything about you being a chosen one, so it's probably simply something he made up.

I don't know this for certain though, the guys at PB might have said it just to confuse us, but it would seem logical.. if you were actually Innos' Chosen, Xardas probably wouldn't want to go up against you, which he intends to do later(said on the boat that "we will meet again"). It would be much better for him to just go up against a mortal he duped into doing his bidding, instead of the chosen of Innos.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:28 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:
Told by whom? Xardas! Lord Hagen agrees to give you the eye in return for confirmation on the Dragons, and doesn't say anything about you having to be Chosen.. as far as I know, only Xardas ever mentions anything about you being a chosen one, so it's probably simply something he made up.

I don't know this for certain though, the guys at PB might have said it just to confuse us, but it would seem logical.. if you were actually Innos' Chosen, Xardas probably wouldn't want to go up against you, which he intends to do later(said on the boat that "we will meet again"). It would be much better for him to just go up against a mortal he duped into doing his bidding, instead of the chosen of Innos.

a firemage in the monastery said that only the chosen one of innos can wear th amulet. Cant remember which mage though, and "we will meet again" doesnt meen that we will fight
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:32 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

A mage? Hmm, I can't remember anyone but Xardas mentioning it..

It doesn't mean that we will fight, but we already know that Xardas is the champion of Beliar know, so unless you can join him, a fight is inevitable.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:46 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
It doesn't mean that we will fight, but we already know that Xardas is the champion of Beliar know, so unless you can join him, a fight is inevitable.

Everything must stay in balance, and it's easy to see that Xardas won't be satisfied with the powers he's got, he wants more!
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:57 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yupp, if you've played the Gothic games a lot, it's easy to see, already from the start, that Xardas is a bit of a megalomaniac. Everything he does, he does to gain more power.
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:32 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

But there's more to it. PB won't make such a predictable story, they agreed on the fact that hunting dragons isn't very original and the pressure is high, so I think they will have some (nasty) suprises in the story this time.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:49 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, that's why I think our hero is NOT a "prophecy" character like in most games. It's not like PB. It's more like PB to have a final scene in G3 where Xardas tells you that "you are a nowbody I simply duped into doing my bidding", and then attacks.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:48 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
A mage? Hmm, I can't remember anyone but Xardas mentioning it..

The Fire Magician he was referring to is Pyrokar. He does mention the "chosen" stuff. I'm 99% sure that Lord Hagan did too, - not that it really matters. They'd probably be too afraid to try it anyway.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:33 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next