Usergroups
Online version??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Couldn't you just imagine though, going through the game with a friend? doing all the storyline and quests, etc together and such?

I long for a day when an rpg like either Gothic or Morrowind allows that.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:45 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I hope games like Gothic and Oblivion NEVER go online, since they are the only worthy pc games to play, and would be TOTALLY wasted as multiplayer and online only.

It is true that the old games flavour has been completly lost, and real adventuring in games is lost after the era of old king's quest, lands of lore, might and magic games. So ok, most games now give you nothing unexpecable, and you never have to think to solve ANY riddles, even the simplest ones. But MMORPG go one step further, they give you no real story, no imersion, no feeling of a game in general. I also consider anyone that plays only online games a NON-GAMER.

Finally i have to add that MMORPG are not games, are a pointless gathering of people in a virtual environment, interacting with each other, killing dragons etc, well it is nice, but it is not a real game. It could be rather called an entertainment activity. Also i am not against a multiplayer game in the sense of having a friend join you at some point in the game, help or preceed in the story line together, this kind of online play is cool, the persistent worlds are the crap part, since you never get the chance to play alone.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:25 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by nasos_333
I hope games like Gothic and Oblivion NEVER go online, since they are the only worthy pc games to play, and would be TOTALLY wasted as multiplayer and online only.

It is true that the old games flavour has been completly lost, and real adventuring in games is lost after the era of old king's quest, lands of lore, might and magic games. So ok, most games now give you nothing unexpecable, and you never have to think to solve ANY riddles, even the simplest ones. But MMORPG go one step further, they give you no real story, no imersion, no feeling of a game in general. I also consider anyone that plays only online games a NON-GAMER.

Finally i have to add that MMORPG are not games, are a pointless gathering of people in a virtual environment, interacting with each other, killing dragons etc, well it is nice, but it is not a real game. It could be rather called an entertainment activity. Also i am not against a multiplayer game in the sense of having a friend join you at some point in the game, help or preceed in the story line together, this kind of online play is cool, the persistent worlds are the crap part, since you never get the chance to play alone.

mmorpgs not games? While i'll agree with you in some aspects for the most part on how most mmorpgs suck/are repetitive, Ultima online was far from "not a game."

As far as mmorpgs go, UO was easily some of the most fun i've had playing in ANY game, period. It wasn't like most other mmorpgs, restricting you or forcing you into class roles and crap, it was open, it was free, you could do what you wanted to do.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:27 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

For something to be a game, all you have to be able to do is play it, so MMORPGs are definetly games. Still, I agree that focusing on a good, deep story, and a great world to explore, is far more important than developing the multiplayer aspect of a game, and to be honest, I can hardly think of a single SRPG that has a high replay value + good multiplayer.

I mean, look at Neverwinter Nights. It has great multiplayer, great support for modding, but the story is not an inch above average. I do not believe you could make a game as good as Gothic, yet have great multiplayer at the same time. There simply is never enough resources or time in creating a game to do both, so either it's a hybrid like Neverwinter Nights, or it's a pure game(either a MMORPG which is multiplayer only, or a SRPG like Gothic/Elderscrolls which is single player only).

The only game I can think of that had both, was Baldurs Gate 2. Still, the multiplayer mode there was not very good, and not very complex. In the game you already controlled up to 6 characters, so being more players at once was a simple matter of assigning control to someone else. In Gothic, if you suddenly add another player, the entire balance would have to be redone, and it would be a lot of effort to remake the game for multiplayer.

There are endless complications with trying to make both a brilliant main story, and a good support for multiplayer, so I hope PB sticks with the SP. Not enough games have a high enough focus these days on the main story, so let's keep this one series pure!
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:33 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I don't want G3 or G4 to become multiplayer, because I hate playing with other people. Why would I otherwise have started to play computer games in the first place. I want to isolate myself from everything around me, reality, other people etc. I don't want to play with others, if I would I could just go outside and play with my friends there and get some sunlight at the same time.

So case closed, no multiplayer part for Gothic.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2