Usergroups
I need a good RPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

While there is no NEED to play Fallout1, you would miss a lot of the references in the second game and therefore miss out on some of the enjoyment of the game. If you can get the first, play it; it's a classic.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:41 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The Fallouts are great! At least if can stand the outdated grafics.
I read somewhere that even the European English versions were cut. Try to get a US-version via ebay to be sure to get all the gore.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:13 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Well, they're both on Amazon uk for £5 each. So I think I'll talk my dad into letting me use his credit card...

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:45 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Fallout 2 is most certainly NOT COMPLETELY non-linear. You have a plot you have to do, and everything can only end in a few ways.
Fallout 2 was definately a nice little game, but nothing special.

* Show me another game where you can leave you starting village and end up in the last city of the game in under 3 min.

* Besides Wizardry8, tell me more games that even HAVE more than 1 ending.

*Not special? Well, thats your opinion, maybe cause you couldnt finish it 4 years later there are still dozens of websites dedicated to this game
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:40 pm
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 1 and 2 are games where that can happen (ie move to any part of gameworld u want without any particular order
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:07 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel

* Show me another game where you can leave you starting village and end up in the last city of the game in under 3 min.

* Besides Wizardry8, tell me more games that even HAVE more than 1 ending.

*Not special? Well, thats your opinion, maybe cause you couldnt finish it 4 years later there are still dozens of websites dedicated to this game

Errr... you can't get to the last area in under 3 minutes in Fallout 2. You CAN get to all the cities, yes. But there are several areas that you can't get to unless you progress through the plot.
You CAN get to ALL cities in the elder scrolls games too, and Fallout 1, and almost all the cities in Arcanum. Death Knights of Krynn as well (I think).

Other games with more than one ending? Examples: Deus Ex, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 2 expansion and Fallout 1.

I finished it, more than once actually. I still think it's pretty good, just not ALL that.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:25 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Weird how you quote me and still cant get what I said right.
I never said anything about the last area of the game.

I dont remember an alternate ending to BG2

I didnt play F1, cant even imagine where I'd be able to find it now, it was the comic relief in F2 that I found suprising. And all the one-liners from movies and books, a lot of the stuff seemed aimed at the 70's kids growing up (like me)

Gorath, I think I got an Euro version of the game, cause I was going insane trying to do a couple of the child-related quests (wrench and Modoc) and it got to the point where I was looking for the midgets in the game hoping they were kids. Turns out there is a patch to add the kids back into Euro versions
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:30 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
I dont remember an alternate ending to BG2
He was talking about the expansion.

Other games with variable endings: Blood Omen, Jedi Knight, The Dig.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:33 pm
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Fallout 2 is most certainly NOT COMPLETELY non-linear. You have a plot you have to do, and everything can only end in a few ways. You have freedom of movement, yes, but it is basically the same freedom you have in sooo many other games. For example: the BG series, the Gothic series, Arcanum, Fallout 1, the elder scrolls series, the krynn series etc. etc. etc.

Fallout 2 was definately a nice little game, but nothing special.

While I don't agree with the last line, Hexy is correct when he says that Fallout 2 is not TRULY non-linear. There is a main story arc, and in order to finish the game, you must do certain things. However, you will have great freedom in where you go, what tasks you want to do (apart from the main story, which really only has 2 main tasks), and how you want to accomplish things. I think that Fallout 2 has MUCH more freedom than either Baldur's Gate game, Gothic, and even Planescape Torment. There usually is a way to bluff or lie or seduce or sneak your way past a problem. There are even some extremely obscure things you can do, such as assasinating someone with drugs, or with their child! Also, even though it is not obvious, some people actually do remember if you've been respectful in the dialogue lines you pick, even if they both amount to "YES" (i.e. "Yeah, I got it" vs. "As you wish, Senior Salvatore"). I mean, you will even be given the opportunity to sell your companions into slavery!

Ack, maybe I've said too much. In any case, Fallout 2 is not perfect, and it is definitely "freedom within constraints", but it is better than anything else I've played. Despite the few bugs that are still left. Despite the uninspiring, drab, repetitive graphics.

I would recommend playing Fallout 1 first; it is not too long, and you will get some references that you may miss in Fallout 2. It was also a great game in its own right.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:06 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

There are no non-linear RPGs nor perfect games, in order to finish any RPG you have to progress from point A to point B to get to point C, but the way you do it that’s what counts. Of course is better if you have alternate endings, gives the game more re-playability value.

We can argue to no end and try to change the opinions of others, but why? For me the game was best ever (I already stated that more times than I care to admit), but the cue word here is ME, this is MINE opinion about this game. I don’t plan to call people names who just disagree with me, because everybody is entitled to his own opinion (I hope you can respect that). Torment is by many is called the best RPG ever to see the daylight, just because I don’t agree with this statement I’m not about to flame players who do.

The younger generation tends to complain about sound, graphics and facial expression (the last one is a sarcasm), but how many of you played the very first RPGs in the late 80’s or early 90’s. Have you seen the graphics there? And yet many of us (the old gizers) fondly reminisce about these games. There are many threads on these boards about what the great game should/shouldn’t have. Great graphics? Max Payne had good graphics (granted is shooter) but 12.5 hours game-play with 0 re-playability for 50 bucks, thank you I will pass.

Let me touch the IE and isometric view and I will be on my way. Even if you might don’t liked the first BG set new boundaries for RPGs (I wish I could play this in 800x600 resolution). So you don’t like the view from the top, if this is only reason to skip the good game, well I like to say something here, but I probably wouldn’t be appropriate. For the record I like to add if any games done by BIS in FR settings with isometric view will ever hit the stores I be there first in line to pick up my copy.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:33 pm
Bugracer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need a goodRPG too

Good RPG is a real dilemma, especially if multiple people are advicing... I have played Gothic 1, hated it, really linear. Bought Morrovind as messiah, got disappointed by the dead world... I do not like multiplayer RPG's.. WHAT TO DO??

What I did like was Baldur's Gate series. It had great stories, huge maps, challence etc. Today the graphics are obviously outdated. Icewind dale was disappointment due to linearity.. Any recommendations? I have not played ID2, any Fallouts, Planescape Torment, Gothic 2 (wow this list is long..I am working too much). What would you recommend?? No linearity (like MW), lively world (like Gothic), great plot (like BG), am I just dreaming?

Anyone seen real played preview of the Lionheart?
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:47 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

what a bunch of nit pickers
ok so if you could walk out of the village, grab a shovel, dig up the gecko and bring it back to the village before sunset of day 1, would that be non-linear enough for you? To finish the game in 4 mins? wtf

There are some games that wont even let you leave the first TOWN until you complete 5-6 missions...
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:38 am
Bugracer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

And leaving town makes he gaem non-linear. Must be a real experience...
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:36 pm
Bugracer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

And leaving town makes the game non-linear... I guess I can't win.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:37 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

at local stores near where i live you can get fallout 1 and 2 for 10 bucks in a sweet little box thats almost like a magic trick(i wont even try to explain the box...).

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:14 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next