BG2: The Greatest Games of all Time @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

BG2: The Greatest Games of all Time @ GameSpot

It seems that GameSpot has a space for Baldur's Gate II in their ongoing <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/features/6146695/index.html?autoplay=6146694&tag=nl.e513" target="_blank">The Greatest Games of All Time</a> series:<blockquote><em>While BioWare and most other developers of computer role-playing games have long since moved over into glorious 3D, it's still worth remembering that the glory days of CRPGs were back in the days of now-archaic 2D graphics, when games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate wove together interesting settings, wonderful combat systems, colorful characters, and incredible stories into what became some of the greatest computer games ever produced. Although everyone who played CRPGs in the late 1990s probably leans toward a particular favorite game, there's little doubt that Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn deserves to stand among the very best games of the era, or indeed among the greatest games of all time.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:02 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I feel a bit sick when I remember times of these great RPGs. Even Oblivion can not cure me from this sickness. Or probably games like Oblivion make feel even more sick (in specific area).
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:04 am
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

I just had a great night, and this article helped end it well. BG2 was such a great game, all parts worked well and the expansion just topped it off. I spent a whole night fighting the Demi Lich over and over till I found a clever way to win, and the dragon fights all had intrinsic difficulty. Irenicus was an awesome villian and the power your character achieved literally felt "uber".

I remember summoning pit fiends, even though I couldn't get xp for the kills it garnered, because it was like living out a real life fantasy. Man, my place of work wouldn't last two minutes if I could protect vs evil and summon a pit fiend!
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:07 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Baldurs Gate 2 is in my top 5 crpgs of all time. I spent soo many hours between BG1&2 and the expansion packs. In fact, I replayed BG1 late last year and had just as much fun as the first time I played it. I hope to play BG2 again later this year, maybe after I finish Oblivion and before Gothic 3 is released.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:44 pm
cal1s

definalty bg2 one of the best games ever.
but do not forget the eye of the beholder series which also were awesome back then.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:20 pm

I still enjoyed PS:T much more than BG2. It was the storytelling in that game that captivated me.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:58 pm

JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I still enjoyed PS:T much more than BG2. It was the storytelling in that game that captivated me.

A lot of people liked Planescape more than BG2. I'm not one of them though. Planescape Toment had a fantastic storyline but the combat was shallow compared to the Baldurs Gate series. There was also very little variety in the weapons and armor in the game. It also boils down to which setting you prefer. I liked the Forgotten Realms setting that the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games took place in, opposed to the Planescape universe.
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:11 am
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

Played PS:T to free myself from Everquest back in 1999
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:13 am

BG series was too static, you never felt that the the world was anthing but a 2D artwork that you wandered around on. I guess i prefer games like the Ultima7 games, Gothic1-2.. BG is way overhyped compared to PS:T, a much better game, still extremely static and such, but the story and the world is just amazing in comparions to the cliché fantasy worlds of BG.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:28 am

JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
BG series was too static, you never felt that the the world was anthing but a 2D artwork that you wandered around on. I guess i prefer games like the Ultima7 games, Gothic1-2.. BG is way overhyped compared to PS:T, a much better game, still extremely static and such, but the story and the world is just amazing in comparions to the cliché fantasy worlds of BG.

That's pretty funny. D&D is the original gaming fantasy world. How can it be cliche?
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:44 am