View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Personally, I'd rather have 4 spellcasters. Warriors = clickfest
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:13 pm

Joey nipp, for sure you need range attack in this game. At the start of the game, there is some "mothers" high in the air that spawn some monsters. You cant hit them with your melee weapon. So if you do 4 warriors, don't use only melee.

I have a question also. I have 2 caracters with the skill armsmaster and 1 have the skill at level 4. When I talk to the armsmaster trainer to become expert, it said all my caracter need to be promote before becoming expert (like if I dont have the skill).

Someone have this problem? or know how to fix it?

All the other skills I have so far work except this one.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:17 pm

Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Question: I reckon it may be a good idea to create a party of 2 spell casters (magic) and 2 warriors (might). Regarding the magic types, is there a problem if one of them pursues light magic and the other one dark magic? Will they get along? Or will they start making stupid remarks about the other and eventually want to go separate ways (like in BG)?

- No, they don't talk to each other, and will not have any problems with each other.

Having 4 warriors should be easy enough - just remember to start with bow skill on everyone.

- No, I did not experience that problem. Just remember to fulfill the requirements for the skill you are going to be expert in.

You will not experience "click-o-rama".. at least I didn't because I made the "a" button the attack button(like in the other MM's), so I just press A whenever I want to fire/attack.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:

On 2002-03-29 14:17, Anonymous wrote:

I have a question also. I have 2 caracters with the skill armsmaster and 1 have the skill at level 4. When I talk to the armsmaster trainer to become expert, it said all my caracter need to be promote before becoming expert (like if I dont have the skill).

Someone have this problem? or know how to fix it?

All the other skills I have so far work except this one.

I'm not certain, but I think that it's a promo issue. Remember in MM7 where you couldn't get Master-level fire/air/water/earth until you got the Wizard promo? It had nothing to do with the skill level. Double check the help screen for armsmaster. Maybe fighters and initiates are limited to "normal" in that skill?
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:47 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

@ Maylander: Thanks -- Even though I would have appreciated some conflict within the party, i.e. all chars should have had to agree whether to go for the light or the dark side but you can't have everything in life, right?!
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 1:24 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I totally agree with you - that was one of the best features in BG(both 1 and 2), and those games have a lot of good features!

Well, like you said: Can't have everything in life.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:31 am

I saw aomeone mention that they had cleared Askram keep of the imps; I am stuck on that part, and I would like to ask are there any hidden portals or secrets that I need to find? I have cleared the portals from all of the rooms on the map, yet I still have not finsihed the quest. Just to clarify: does destroying the portals mean that I just kill all the imps, until the portals no longer have flames and produce no more imps? Or is there something else I need to do? Any help would be great, as I am stuck on what seems to be one of the easy beginner quests I did lawer the drawbridge and open the porticuiles (that was super-easy though)

Thanks!
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:42 pm

Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

To finish that quest you have to cut the ropes to the bridge to lower it(use your bows, aim and fire), and you have to get a key from the Jarl of Drangheim to open up the big iron-bar gate.

You destroy the portals by killing all the imps.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:03 pm

Hi, I had posted earlier about the Askran Keep imp quest; I finished it now, but there are 2 things to mention:

1) lowering the drawbridge / raising porticuiles is unrelated to the Imp quest that the Jarl of Strumford gives to you; it just happens to take place in the same building.

2) the imp quest is *bugged*, it doesnt always work. There are two places in the keep where monsters are supposed to break through the walls at you; if this doesnt happen, then usually the quest will fail to be compleated, even when you have destroyed all the portals (killing the big imp at the end is also unrelated to the quest, as he doesn't appear until after the quest is finsihed).

The way I have gotton the quest to work the most reliably is to *not* go in the main doors on the ground floor at all; start from the rooftop entrance instead. Clear out the entire "left" side of the keep (up to but NOT THROUGH the two large wooden doors that lead to the main entrance.) Go back to the stairs leading to the rooftop entrance, then clear the entire "right" side of the keep. Then clean out the main room, and open the double doors. Once through the double doors and in the "top" half of the dungeon, clear the "left" room first, and then the "right" room. The little "quest bell" should chime to let you know you finihsed the quest. Killing the large imp that spawns after is optional, but it seems to be the same strength as a regular orange imp; it just looks big.

I dont know if the order that you destroy the portals in matters, however the order llisted above is the method I did it, and the quest worked (on the second try.)

Now, after trying this quest *many* times to see what the problem is, I noticed that if the monsters do NOT break out of the walls inside the keep, the quest will fail. If the monsters are not coming through the walls when supposed to, there is an easy way to "reset" the dungeon; Save your game outside of the keep. ALT-TAB to the windows desktop, and go into your MM9 directory. In the folder called "minisaves" delete (or move) ALL of the files to do with "Anskram Keep"... when you re-enter the dungeon it will be reset. I had to do this in order to get the dungeon to function properly, which is why I say that the quest is "bugged". Note that the "lowering defenses quest" for the Jarl of Dragonheim is uneffected no matter if the imp quest works, doesnt, or has been "reset".

I hope this can help anyone else who may be stuck like I was, please spread this around as I have seem a lot of messages on different web page forums for people stuck in the same situation. Thanks!!

- oracle dragon

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:24 am

dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

One thing I found with the Keep as well- it still doesn't work even if you break down the walls and let the critters out.

I'll have to try your work-around. Thanks for letting us know!

I'm getting a little disappointed with this game. I want to like it so badly, too. Kinda sad when the very first "dungeon crawl quest" is broken. I wonder how that didn't get caught by QA.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:17 am

Thanks for answers. It is now confirmed that there was a script bug in anskram keep quest. I restarted with a new party and solved the quest without problems. However, there might be more bugs.

A lot of things are MISSING in mm9. These include:
-mage guilds
-alchemy
-food
-party reputation
-obelisks
-fly spell
-stables and horseshoes
-proper inventory screen
etc.

Gameplay is still complex enough even it is simplified, but traditional and pure M&M feeling is gone.

Also, there is only 7 big outdoor areas. Only half or less compared to mm7 or 6.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:13 am

I almost forgot the most important item from the list. There is no Arcomage in mm9
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:28 am

Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

I don't think the absence of most of those things is necessarily a problem, after all we spent the last couple of M&M games crying out for the game to be updated, so leaving out the need to buy rations all the time isn't a crime in my book.

Having a broken quest like Ashcram Keep is, however!

I'm now at Drangheim having left Ashkram Keep unfinished, and my impressions of the game thus far are quite simple. Its a pretty faithful update of a series that should have been buried at around M&M 7, as even tho' its been updated it still looks about 2 or 3 years out-of-date.

That said, it plays reasonably smoothly and has some atmosphere especially in the dungeons. Whether the old feel is there in sufficient quantity to keep me playing right through I can't yet say, I have my doubts, but one thing is for sure - Morrowind it isn't! Thus far I rate it well above Wizards and Warriors but below Wizardry 8.

The tragedy is that no-one has yet combined the richness of the Baldurs Gate games with a first person engine - a lot rests on Morrowind otherwise we may well find the offline RPGs are surrendering what little market they have left to the online MMORPGs. This game simply doesn't begin to compare to EverQuest, for example, which is a shame after such a strong process of evolution as they really should have got it looking and playing a LOT more modern than it appears to be at an early stage in the game.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:09 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

A lot of those things weren't in MM6 either, and MM9 is about as long as MM7, but I agree with you; 3DO removed a lot of parts from the MM-series - some good, and some bad, but I do not understand why they removed some of the best parts like flying and arcomage.

I never got the real MM-feeling, but it is still a very good game. Perhaps I need to replay it a couple of times.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Speaking of missing mage guilds, is it just my imagination or are there no trainers for the spell skills? Granted, I'm only as far as Drangheim (spent hours trying to finish the broken imp quest), and I haven't found a single trainer for spell skills yet. Anybody care to spoil me a bit and tell me where the trainers are?
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:47 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next