So how is NOTR Addon (English)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So how is NOTR Addon (English)

Is it worth getting how long is it? Thing is theres nothing to do its freezing outside snow all over so cant go outside much and theres nothing on pc to play so need something to do.

But i heard the addon is only like 10 hours? Is that true? Has any one got it in canada yet if so how much is it? I dont even know if they got it here yet
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:54 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I don't know if you can get Gothic 2 Gold, but that is what we just got in the US for $20. I don't know how long the add-on is, but I've already hit specific things that have expanded the original game greatly (I'm in Ch 2, just made it to Garond).

$20 for Gothic 2 fully updated with NOTR? What a bargain

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Re: So how is NOTR Addon (English)

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
Is it worth getting how long is it? Thing is theres nothing to do its freezing outside snow all over so cant go outside much and theres nothing on pc to play so need something to do.

But i heard the addon is only like 10 hours? Is that true? Has any one got it in canada yet if so how much is it? I dont even know if they got it here yet

It depends on what kind of player you are. I've heard people saying it took them only 7 hours to finish, but I've spend about 60 hours the first time, the second time about 50 hours, etc.

It's a great addon, that gives a very good picture of the route PB has taken. The world is awesome, much more beautiful than the original world. And it also adds some new features, like belts and stone tablets.

Did I already mention the difficulty level increased a lot?
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:27 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It took about 35 hours for me to finish the addon parts, and that's without going to the valley of mines, so just 2/3 through Ch. 2. Great story but very hard, too hard IMO, it was quite frustrating at times. There was more to do in the addon but I just wasn't strong enough to take on multiple Orcs. They're twice as tough as in the original.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:17 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Aye, the add-on is great: It adds a lot to the game as a whole(especially if you have played G1 as well, as several NPCs from G1 are back that weren't in G2 previously). I also agree completely regarding the add-on world; it's even more beautiful than the original game world.

Also, several quests have more sense to them now, and a lot has changed in chapter 1-2. Almost every change is a welcome one, and adds something.

If you can get ahold of it for a decent price, it's definetly worth it - just be prepared to handle the new difficulty, and be sure to read some review/hints about how to play it first, as the new skill system is hard to deal with the first time(skills get extremely expensive as you level up, one of the new difficulties of the add-on, along with several creatures recieving a SERIOUS buff, like the Dragons).
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:44 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Well im the type of person that tries to do every single sidequest in the game as possible before doing more of the story quests and i also try to explore as much as the world as i can.

But doing this gets boring after awile so sometimes i just get bored and end up just sticking with the story (like Sacred those sub quests were so damn crap)

So is it really that hard? Like how hard the type where you forgot to save and you're fighting a monster and he kills you in 3 hits and you rip you're hair out hard?

If i get really frustrated i use force lol i remember castlevania loi for ps2 the last boss (death) was hard i kept dying so i made knuckle marks on the walls

Oh and im just gonna play the addon im not playing gothic 2 over again or anything like that.

Also be helpful if any one let me know if they bought it in canada and knows if these stores carry em?

Futureshop and Ebgames.

I'll see tomorow but i doubt they will have them futureshop for sure but maybe ebgames might.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:53 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, I thought it was hard. I've played the std game twice, once as a mage and once as a Paladin and didn't have too much trouble but with the addon you have less money, training costs more and the monsters are harder. A warg will kill you right away until level 15 and an orc has such high armor protection, you can't even hurt it if you don't have a top weapon. You can get through it but you need good stategy at all times like sneaking by with a transformation or using scrolls more. I enjoyed it but I haven't faced the VOM orcs yet and I'm not sure how I'll be able to either even at level 20.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:16 am
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Are there enough low level creatures to keep you leveling up until you can handle the real baddies? I don't like being a weakling for ever in a RPG. I remember even in G2 there were challenging monsters, I had to wait a while before I could consider fighting human skeletons, and orcs I found I could take out from above with some creativity and a good vantage point, especially in the castle area. But I had to break through the siege running for my life to get in first. It was pretty fun actually. Anyways...
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:59 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Yes, there still are. Some creatures became weaker. Like young bloodfly and other starting creatures.

You'll just have to watch you're back more closely. And some creature must be avoided untill you are a lot stronger.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:07 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Muze
Are there enough low level creatures to keep you leveling up until you can handle the real baddies? I don't like being a weakling for ever in a RPG. I remember even in G2 there were challenging monsters, I had to wait a while before I could consider fighting human skeletons, and orcs I found I could take out from above with some creativity and a good vantage point, especially in the castle area. But I had to break through the siege running for my life to get in first. It was pretty fun actually. Anyways...

Skeleteons are pretty strong, especially in groups.
If you needed to break through the siege you missed a rather obvious trick.

Amazon.ca has all the new JoWooD bundles.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:02 am
Drake5
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
Well im the type of person that tries to do every single sidequest in the game as possible before doing more of the story quests and i also try to explore as much as the world as i can.

But doing this gets boring after awile so sometimes i just get bored and end up just sticking with the story (like Sacred those sub quests were so damn crap)

So is it really that hard? Like how hard the type where you forgot to save and you're fighting a monster and he kills you in 3 hits and you rip you're hair out hard?

If i get really frustrated i use force lol i remember castlevania loi for ps2 the last boss (death) was hard i kept dying so i made knuckle marks on the walls

Oh and im just gonna play the addon im not playing gothic 2 over again or anything like that.

Also be helpful if any one let me know if they bought it in canada and knows if these stores carry em?

Futureshop and Ebgames.

I'll see tomorow but i doubt they will have them futureshop for sure but maybe ebgames might.

It is an addon not an expantion. It's integrated into the core game. Not like say, NWN and SoU; more like Morrowind. It's not really harder per se, but you have to specialize; if you chose to be an expert with one handed weapons, you aren't going to be able to focus on much else. Etc,etc.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:06 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Its funny how they made some of the monsters really strong in this game like in the later levels in the game the skeleton and zombies or what ever all those are typical weak monsters.

I remember there was a mace in gothic for crushing golems did it also destroy skeletons real fast? I dont think i ever tried cause every one knows skeletons are weak and go down fast with a blunt weapon cause it crushes there bones wile axes and swords (slashing for flesh) doesnt do much.

Its funny though i cant wait to see how powerful the t-rex's are in gothic 3 damn how the hell are we gonna fight those things Probably weaken it with arrows then slash the crap out of it.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:25 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wargs, Seekers, Dragonsnappers and Dragons got the biggest buffs, and they're all a real pain now. They went from being fairly easy encounters to being truly powerful.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:14 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Wargs, Seekers, Dragonsnappers and Dragons got the biggest buffs, and they're all a real pain now. They went from being fairly easy encounters to being truly powerful.

Dragons just need a lot more strategy. Summoning works very good to keep him busy.
Dragonsnappers can be taken one by one, but wargs will always attack in packs that makes them very hard.
Seekers... Rain of Fire is very strong.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:45 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Almost forgot, Demons are also very strong now. I just summon 1 demon per dragon, and the demon takes care of the dragon, hehe. Killing a dragon solo is really hard now though, compared to the easy fights in the original G2 where the dragons didn't even regenerate so you could damage them, run away + heal, damage them, run away.. etc.. now they regenerate faaast!

Oh yeah, the final boss is also a whole lot tougher, but I'm not going to spoil him or how to kill him now.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next