Why should I play WoW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Why should I play WoW?

My situation is that I am almost completely dissilusioned with the whole MMORPG thing. I have tried lots of them including UO, EQ, AO, SWG, DAOC, AC, AC2 etc etc...

I enjoyed UO a LOT, after that I played EQ and enjoyed it for a few months but got bored. After then I did the same thing with AO. All the other MMORPG's I tried didnt even last past the free month...

I have been hearing everyone rave over WoW and I am wondering if I should try yet another MMORPG. I basicaly want some of the existing players to tell me exactly why WoW is so good and why I should play it after being dissiulsioned with MMORPG's in general.

My Main problems with MMORPG's at the moment are:

No way to play an evil player because of the PvP systems.
    Chat boxes suck. Completely destroys any sense of actualy being there.
    Level grind is dull as hell
    No story
    Quests are dull and repetitive

So heres my challenge. If you want to try and convince me, I'm all ears
Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:03 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Haven't played any MMORPG or WoW itself, I don't think I can confise, you, Chekote, but I can sure try.
As far as I am aware, I cannot comment on any other topic, cept for the story, but If you have played the WarCraft RTS games, you must be aware that the story, if not anything, is quite intresting, and I am sure that it will continue so. Blizz won't mess it up. They have quite a few unfinished plot lines form the Frozen Throne expansion for Warcraft 3, which are bound to be resolved in WoW. So, if the story of War3RoC/TFT got you hooked up, the story in WoW is bound to, also. You should at least give it a try.
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:51 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Why should I play WoW?

Given your list of problems ...

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote

No story

You shouldn't play World of Warcraft. Which is a damned shame as it is, hands down, the funnest MMORPG I've ever played.

You see, even on a player vs player server you can only kill opposing faction characters, the chat box sucks, and the quests are repetitive.

Notice what I left out there... the level grind is FUN, the quests are never dull and they tell the story (leaving it up to you to discover what story you want to follow ... does your undead do the New Plague missions... edging the world towards genocide... or does he want to help the orcs and tauren with their problems instead? You can do both, of course, but there's a lot of quests you'll leave undone).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:40 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sorry to disappoint you Chekote, but WoW is yet another run of the mill, mass appeal, EQ clone. It seems that you're yet another one of us Trials of Ascention dreamers.

But... I'm finding that WoW is actually a very fun game in its own rights. If you expect UO, you'll be disappointed. If you take WoW in its own merits, you may actually learn to like it. I never stuck with a MMORPG for a long time. But I have a feeling I may give WoW quite a few extra months of my time.

I think the main draw are the quests. They are bountiful, usually have decent rewards, they pace you through the game, teach you the game mechanics, hide the level grind, and provide variety you may need after a while.

To clarify: most quests fit within few basic categories. Fedex quests, kill x monsters quests, and use professional skill x times quests. Fedex quests usually serve to teach you about new areas of the world you didn't know you should be in. Kill x monsters quests usually pit you against monsters you should be fighting anyways around your level. Skill quests appeal to trade skill people.

No quest is really a must (unless they are class quests: e.g. paladins get their rez skill by questing). There are so many quests that you trully will never be able to exhaust them all. You can start several new characters and level them all up to 20 (out of 60 levels) by never repeating the same quest twice. The wonderful thing about quests is that they make you level at a neck-breaking pace. By doing kill quests, you are leveling at about twice the pace of just grinding away. I'm honestly surprised as to how high of a level I am in the game by now.

Tradeskills are a double edged sword. They are simple, but not over simplistic. Anybody can do them, but they get more complicated once you enter higher level tiers. Mainly, it means your material requirements will be such that you won't be able to do it all on your own. But the skill acquisition is very fast and very rewarding. Loot is easy to come by and rewarding as well. If you are equipped with nothing but loot and quest reward items, you'll be just fine.

The world is very well fleshed out. Lots of little "easter eggs" and mood setters. The visuals are quite amazing, if somewhat "older" and cartoony. I run this game on my Radeon 9600XT 256, Athlon XP 1800+ setup at 1280x1024 resolution wiht just about all the settings enabled and I get 30+ fps. Even in the populated cities. I'd say that by now I got my $60 purchase price worth of gaming. I do not feel conned like I did with DAoC and SWG.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:16 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

I will most likely try it out in the new year. At least with your info I wont be expecting some kind of miracle (Like most reviewers portray the game).
Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:26 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

It's just a quality, fun game, period. This game has heart.

Coming off another MMORPG (Ryzom) that got old in literally days, I see a totally different experience in WOW. This game clobbers DAoC as well. Granted, Im sorta a newcomer to it, been only playing about 2 weeks now, but I cant spend enough time with it. I'm thinking Night Elf and Undead thoughts while I'm not playing it. It's a work of art. I'm so tired of the drive to make realistic graphics, I dont want realism, I want alluring graphic art. World of Warcraft is that type of cartoonish art that I enjoy immensely, and the soundtrack, I just love it. This is one of the only games I have ever left the music on, and enjoy it enough to crank it up. From the game sounds to the music, "it's all good", as the youth of today would so eloquently put it.

It's just a majestic game, that's the word that keeps coming to my mind when I enter one of the huge capital cities, or look out over some vast expanse. I get the feeling that it's both a labor of love as well as true professionalism, envisioned and created by people who enjoy their craft. I am seeing the work of very dedicated and talented individuals who put alot of heart and soul into their work, and I greatly admire and respect that, and quite frankly appreciate it as well when i'm shelling out money for their product.

I'm also strangely envious as well, and kick myself repeatedly for not taking the bull by the horns early on in life and making a goal of doing this sort of thing for a living. Good goin, Sam, now get back to your AutoCad

But that's neither here nor there, it is indeed the type of game that reminds me why I even play games at all, and sorta feel sorry for those who dont play them. I'm big on those game realm vistas, and there are some just breathtaking vistas that have made me sit back and fire up a cigarette and relax in real life, and I normally dont smoke. Been a real long time since a game has made me need a smoke, but this is indeed that game.

Yeah, I'm a Blizzard fanboy alright, but it's games like this that make us fanboys to begin with ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:36 am
ekwhite
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
My situation is that I am almost completely dissilusioned with the whole MMORPG thing. I have tried lots of them including UO, EQ, AO, SWG, DAOC, AC, AC2 etc etc...

I enjoyed UO a LOT, after that I played EQ and enjoyed it for a few months but got bored. After then I did the same thing with AO. All the other MMORPG's I tried didnt even last past the free month...

I have been hearing everyone rave over WoW and I am wondering if I should try yet another MMORPG. I basicaly want some of the existing players to tell me exactly why WoW is so good and why I should play it after being dissiulsioned with MMORPG's in general.

No story

I'm not sure you would be satisfied with World of Warcraft. I'm a Player versus Environment solo/cooperative player. I've played a lot of single player RPG's (my favorites are Morrowind, Gothic, and Deus Ex), but I have only played one other MMO, City of Heroes (I don't count the MUD's I played back in the 80's - try playing an RPG on a 9600 baud modem).

I have done some PvP, but that is not my focus. I figure that if I want to do PvP, I'd rather plan Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament online. You can't really play an "evil" character, but you can play for one of two competing factions, the Alliance and the Horde. On PvP servers, you have a lot of leeway for player versus player against an opposing faction. You also have a duel system for plaver versus player combat against people in your own faction. You have to have the agreement of the other player for the duel to occur. You can't go around killing everything that moves, however. I prefer Halo for that kind of gameplay.

With that being said, I like the level grind in WoW, as it is based on completing quests - you level faster by questing than by going out and killing a bunch of mobs, a la City of Heroes.

There are chat boxes, unfortunately, and there probably will be for a while in all RPG's, due to technical issues (imagine your lag if you had to play audio files for every quest - not many people have 10,000 RPM hard drives in their computers). With that being said, the world in WoW is beautifully rendered in typical Blizzard style, and is immersive, at least to me.

The story in WoW is extremely good. It is based on the backstory for the WarCraft series, that dates back into the 80's. The quests are varied, ranging from the "bring me 10 Wolf Skins" or "take a message to X" variety to full-on dungeon crawls and "raids," in which huge groups of players get together to take on extremely high level challenges.

I can't compare WoW to the MMO's you listed above, but it compares favorably to City of Heroes, which is also an excellent MMO. One caveat, I would wait until after the holidays to try it. They are still having some server problems - I don't expect the problems to go away until school is back in session.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:40 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by ekwhite
I have done some PvP, but that is not my focus. I figure that if I want to do PvP, I'd rather plan Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament online. You can't really play an "evil" character, but you can play for one of two competing factions, the Alliance and the Horde. On PvP servers, you have a lot of leeway for player versus player against an opposing faction. You also have a duel system for plaver versus player combat against people in your own faction. You have to have the agreement of the other player for the duel to occur. You can't go around killing everything that moves, however. I prefer Halo for that kind of gameplay.

But thats not the same at all. Thats suggesting riding a bycicle to someone who wants to race Formula 1 cars just because they both move.

I like FPS games, but I also like role playing games where I can *role play* evil people. That means far more complex interaction and play than anything an FPS can provide.

I dont want to run around and kill anything that moves. I want to develop relationships/reputations with the people and world around me, I want to develop an ongoing story of my characters life, I want to be known for what I do in the world and how my characters personality is.

I can understand how you might not comprehend what I am saying since UO is the only online game in existence that has accomplished this. But trust me,
*role playing* and evil character is very fulfilling. Especialy for someone who wants to realy roleplay.

I have yet to see a MMORPG since UO that lets you realy *role play*. They are all just ATB shoot-em-ups with an RPG stat/skill system in the background.

I am likely going to try WoW sometime in the new year. I will post my impressions here.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:47 pm
Tzeremes
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

chekote, In my opinion there are a few MMOs that you can role play an evil character. I don't know if you would like the style but two that come into mind are Vendetta online and Eve online. In those two games you can role play your character to be really evil. Vendetta online has a really small community and you can get your name around....in fact people can put bounties on your head if they want you dead really bad. The fact that it has a small community really makes every character special and you tend to know almost everyone who plays. While the graphics aren't the best, the game mechanics are really good and you have a good time on it.

As for eve online...that game is pretty good as well. It really has a lot going on, and since all the players log on to the same one server you really get a sense of a large world with lots of things happening. I think it broke the 12K players signed in at once barrier last week. In this game you can really be evil (and can really make your avatar to look like it too). You can pick on all the miners, traders so on. You can be a pirate (just like in vendetta) or a mercenary or a whole range of things. Also since the skills take a set amount of time to learn you worry about having fun, making money, meeting people, and doing "quests" more than the grind. I'm really enjoying my time in it.

I don't know if you would like the style of it, since its not fantasy but I really think you should check them out if you haven't already.

by the way, I'm a first time poster but long time reader...Hi to all.

EDIT..sorry I didn't mention anything about WoW. I haven't played it except on the stress test and don't think that I can really say much about it.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:59 pm
ekwhite
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ekwhite

But thats not the same at all. Thats suggesting riding a bycicle to someone who wants to race Formula 1 cars just because they both move.

I like FPS games, but I also like role playing games where I can *role play* evil people. That means far more complex interaction and play than anything an FPS can provide.

I dont want to run around and kill anything that moves. I want to develop relationships/reputations with the people and world around me, I want to develop an ongoing story of my characters life, I want to be known for what I do in the world and how my characters personality is.

I can understand how you might not comprehend what I am saying since UO is the only online game in existence that has accomplished this. But trust me,
*role playing* and evil character is very fulfilling. Especialy for someone who wants to realy roleplay.

I have yet to see a MMORPG since UO that lets you realy *role play*. They are all just ATB shoot-em-ups with an RPG stat/skill system in the background.

I am likely going to try WoW sometime in the new year. I will post my impressions here.

Point well taken. I didn't mean any offense - I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "evil character." I have limited experience with MMO's - more with CRPG's and FPS games (Call of Duty, Halo, etc.). World of Warcraft does have a reputation system, in which you gain or lose reputation based on your actions, but I don't know how it compares to other games, other than City of Heroes. My general opinion of World of Warcraft is good, however. Since I'm not into heavy role-play (more casual), I can't help you there. Too bad Blizzard, SOE, etc., don't offer free trials for their subscription services, so that you could determine if you wanted to subscribe or not.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:57 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I play Horde on Argent Dawn and Alliance on Earthen Ring... both are roleplaying servers and I try and stay in character as much as possible... even in party or guild chat. The more I'm in character the happier I am.

I've got so many characters running around... this game is just as good as Diablo 2 for changing play styles with different classes.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:34 pm
ttomm46
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

my take as an older gamer

Hi

i belong to an adult guild on WOW which helps a lot but the game still is basically a hack and slash type mmorpg...grant it I'm an older gamer,,,past 50 so maybe i'm looking at it from a different perpective ...the game was a blast at first but it starts to get pretty repetitive just like all online graphical rpg's........

now i have a friend in his late 40's who has played Nexsus Kingdom of the winds for 4 years compulsively and WOW is certainly far above that game in terms of quality so i guess it's really how addicted you can get to this type of game,,,,,basically if you tried all those others which i have you'll probably find WOW better but at the same time it still suffers from being repetitive and lousey tech support.

Tom
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:50 am