New D&D?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

New D&D?

So is there any new D&D single player for PC on the horizon? (and MWN expansion doesn’t count!). Since Atari owns everything now I fear the answer.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:37 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I think that that one counts as NWN, not MWN, as we will hardly see a Morrowind DnD expansion ...
Btw, I think that BioWare are developing NWN 2 ... or so I heard somewhere ...
Also, I am sure that Troika are making (at least 1) expansion for Temple of Elemental Evil ...
Maybe, I say just maybe, Black Isle are/will be developing a new IceWind dale game ...
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:04 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The only one officially press released to be in the works is Hoardes of the Underdark.

So... no.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:00 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I know that hte only official one is Hordes of the Underdark.
I was talking the unofficial stuff - and I can tell you that NWN 2 and the greyhawk expansion set are pretty much for sure.
BTw, as far as i know, Fallout 3 has also not yet been announced, but that doesn"t matter - people everywhere on the net are talking bout it!
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:00 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

@ Lady
Many projects were canceled in more advanced stage of development that the ones you mention, so until I see them on the shelves I won’t hold my breath.
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:13 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
I know that hte only official one is Hordes of the Underdark.
I was talking the unofficial stuff - and I can tell you that NWN 2 and the greyhawk expansion set are pretty much for sure.
BTw, as far as i know, Fallout 3 has also not yet been announced, but that doesn"t matter - people everywhere on the net are talking bout it!

Well, you're right. But the difference is that BIS devs like Sawyer, Nichols and Foletto have made *many* deliberate posts to tell people that FO3 is under way - we even have concept art. I've heard rumours about NWN2 - and I probably believe them - but I've seen nothing from a dev/rep - nothing.

I was positive about a ToEE sequel before it was released (and Tim Cain was certainly keen) - I'm a little less sure now that the release was...uneven.
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:16 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

I have my doubts about NWN 2. The new RPG Bio is developing for the PC has Bio's own intellectual property. WotC and their new "every hero in D&D must be a goody-two-shoes" set of guidelines is turning off many new developers. Heck, that was one of the many reasons BIS' BG3 got cancelled in the first place. It is too much work to do anything D&D on the PC these days, and some Bio developers have hinted they might no longer work with D&D if their new intellectual property game is sucessful.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:33 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I also agree with you all, especially with goshuto about the D'n'D license - there is too much work (mainly) and too many restrictions to cope with, based on the license.
BTW, BioWare's new RPG won't be coming to the PC as it will be exclusively for the X-BOX, and I think that there will hardly be any kind of release for the PC
Anyway, as far as I heard rumours about the NWN2, I tend to believe them, mainly cause I think that the work is not so far ahead, as Bio were working at least on Jade Empire and KotOR, and again to those rumours, KotOR2.
BIS were working on BG3? we are tolking about a sequel to BG2 - SoA and ToB, and not to DA 1 & 2! wow! It is good that the word hadn't come to me, cause I would have putted BIS on my Black List, with this thing, which is also very sad, just as the cancellation of BIS'Torn, thanx to which we got the underdeveloped Lionheart
BTW, I just remmembered that there is one D'd'D game being devoped, apart from HotU - Dungeons'n'Dragons Online .
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:10 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
BTW, BioWare's new RPG won't be coming to the PC as it will be exclusively for the X-BOX, and I think that there will hardly be any kind of release for the PC

Yes, Jade Empires is XBox exclusive, but they're working on a new unannounced PC RPG, which reportedly has nothing to do with D&D.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:25 pm
Dhruin

I don't think D&D's new "goody-two-shoes" approach had anything to do with Jefferson's permanent hold/cancellation. Interplay wanted to extend the D&D console rights - which opened the door to changes in their PC rights. It was all wrapped up "subject to obtaining 3d party waivers" (proabably Atari) which they didn't get. In effect, they lost the license for a BG3.

Besides, I think Bioware are mainstreaming their games, so I don't think it would be a big problem for them, anyway.

KotOR2 is likely being developed out-of-house by Obsidian.

But you're right - Bioware has a full schedule and the success of their own IP could well mean there's no interest in NWN2.
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:14 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I don't think D&D's new "goody-two-shoes" approach had anything to do with Jefferson's permanent hold/cancellation. Interplay wanted to extend the D&D console rights - which opened the door to changes in their PC rights. It was all wrapped up "subject to obtaining 3d party waivers" (proabably Atari) which they didn't get. In effect, they lost the license for a BG3.

Yes, that was the major reason. But JE himself said WotC was already causing trouble late in 2002, because of BG3's content (and man, we're talking some real adult content here, something on level with the Fallouts, and then some). And that delayed the game, giving the inept suits at Interplay enough time to lose the license.

And Jefferson was BG3. In fact, JE dropped many hints about the subtitle too, and it coincided with insider info given by someone in the industry. It was going to be called "BG3: The Black Hound," if memory serves right. (or "blood hound", or something like that)

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
But you're right - Bioware has a full schedule and the success of their own IP could well mean there's no interest in NWN2.

David Gaider has hinted at this so many times, it's not even funny.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:56 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Well, I can only be sorry that due to the f***ing licences (and other factors, as well), we only see good games being dumped into the graveyard without even being fully developed ..... And if Bioware's own projects, not based on a license, are good enough, and they continue to do games in that directions (I mean with own IP) I think that we can only benefit from this.
Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:44 pm