Demo question - gone in 10 seconds
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Demo question - gone in 10 seconds

I have a question about the opening scenes of the demo. The game starts and I am some sort of room. There is a pair of sandals and a health potion. There is another room to the left, in it are some barrels, a book case and a ladder. There doesn't appear to be any exit from the room other than the ladder. I don't know how to "use" the ladder other than double clicking on it. When I do this, I disappear. If I try to move the cursor the top of the ladder, the scene goes black, and I can't find the hero. Music plays, but no character.
I want to at least play the demo before buying the game. What am I doing wrong here. I can literaly be vanished in 10 seconds after starting the game by double clicking on the ladder. What gives?
I downloaded the game from the publishers website
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:06 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You only have to click once on the ladder. I'm not sure why it would do this. I never had a problem with the demo.
Perhaps it's some weird graphical error. After clicking on the stairs can you still exit to the main menu? If so, try saving then reloading the game. Apparently you're going up the stairs but it's not switching so you can view Aleroth. Perhaps if you save then reload you'll see what you are supposed to. Just a guess.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:20 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Well, I thought you had the answer. I started a new game and went straight to the ladder and single-clicked on it and then I was transported to a room with a trap door, dining room table and other things, there was a person there that started some dialog; but I stopped it and started a new game so that I could get the sandals, health potion and knife located on the barrel. Well, you guessed it, I can't go up the ladder now. The same thing happens, the hero disappears from the scene. The starting room is still there, but no here, just a dark area where he used to stand and if I move the cursor slowly up the ladder the entire scene goes blank, except the lower control buttons.
Can I assume that the game doesn't have this bug? Is the game worth it? I gave up on the demo, to frustrating for me.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I don't remember getting a bug like that in the game. If there was, then I'm sure they'd have fixed it with one of the patches. You can check out reviews here. Personally, I really liked the game and I certainly think it's worth the money. Most reviewers have liked the game too.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:06 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree with Val

I've been around a while playing Computer games. For me it started with Ultima 1 on my old Apple 2. Games like Bard's Tale, Wizardry and the rest of the Ultima series were games I enjoyed.

DD really has a great blend of modern style RPGs (Diablo, Baldur's Gate) as well as mixed in gameplay elements found in the older Ultima Games (i.e. lots of object interactions).

Most reviews are very positive. The more negative reviews I've read about the game seem to be written by people bent on finding fault no matter how good a game is. DD is not perfect. But it's certainly very entertaining. I'd go as far to say that for me, its been more entertaining than recent titles such as Morrowind, Neverwinter Knights, Dungeon Siege, and even Baldur's Gate II... all of which are fantastic games. But DD has a high fun factor, which I know is very subjective, but there you have it.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:33 pm