I found it and bought it because it was cheap
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Thread
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have played first the Gothic games and then Arx, and that is IMHO the problem: I have always compared Arx with Gothic - and I missed so much.

Arx is a fine game with a very good atmosphere, beautiful graphics, good story, but the fighting system was painful for me after the floating Gothic keys, I missed the wide landscapes ...

I wish, I had played Arx first, then I would have appreciated it much more.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:26 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Edda
I have played first the Gothic games and then Arx, and that is IMHO the problem: I have always compared Arx with Gothic - and I missed so much.

Arx is a fine game with a very good atmosphere, beautiful graphics, good story, but the fighting system was painful for me after the floating Gothic keys, I missed the wide landscapes ...

I wish, I had played Arx first, then I would have appreciated it much more.

Yes the landscapes of arx of fatalis doesn't exist because ice and snow has cover everything.And don't remind me the fighting.Oh man,I wanted to hit the goblin but I heated the air.
Then there is another game it is the Never winter nights.There it has more landscapes but after chapter1 i found it quit boring.Also in the fights you can't do much.You only see them from above.And I didn't find the ad-on of this game very interesting.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:12 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

NWN is veeeeeeery different from 3d RPGs cos u see everything above like in Diablo series and most of the other rpgs
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:51 pm
ravens' power

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
NWN is veeeeeeery different from 3d RPGs cos u see everything above like in Diablo series and most of the other rpgs

Yes you are right.I didn't like diablo or the nwn.They had too many monsters.Gothic doesn't have to do anything with those 2 games in my oponion.The same with dungeon siege
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:30 pm

titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

well you can't compare gothic with diablo. diablo is no real RPG but more a hack and slash, while gothic is a true rpg game
nevertheless I enjoyed diablo and diablo 2
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:37 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by titus
well you can't compare gothic with diablo. diablo is no real RPG but more a hack and slash, while gothic is a true rpg game

I think you are right.We can't compare gothic with many games because it's different from any other.
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:51 pm
ravens' power

I liked the arx of fatalis even thoug it didn't have the landscapes of gothic it was good.I liked gothic because you could do many things or avoid some quests
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:27 pm

Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

I still remeber the first time I played the English demo of Gothic 1. I downloaded it just for fun. The first time I played just a bit and didn't really liked it that much.(I had just beaten some young scavengers, but didn't fully descend from the mountain.) Then I played it a bit further.(advantage: you could save in the demo -> not like the other games I tried so far) When I got those missions at the old camp, I simply had to buy the full game. I had become an addict of Gothic. There's no other game that still attracts me that much. When I played another game and finished it, I simply return to Gothic. For me it's without doubt the best game ever.

I know from Pacman and Space Invaders till the latest shitty Doom3, so when I say the best -> I mean it.
NFG member
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:56 pm
Kaboodleschmitt
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Personally I loved Gothic as soon as I played it. I got it because a freind told me it was good, and from the moment I first played it, loved it. As was said, you cannot compare Gothic with any other game, especially with hack-and-slash style games. I think that on their own those kinds of games are good, but when you compare them with Gothic, they loose most of their lustre. I tried playing Arx Fatalis, got stuck with the Troll's Idol, and stopped. I started playing Dungeon Siege, got stuck at Castle Ehb, and stopped. I started playing Gothic (a couple of years ago), got stuck in many, many places, and kept going till I beat it. That is one of the many things I loved about this game: Not only is it so adictive, it is also fulfilling. Personally, I think Gothic is the best game I ever played, and if it's not, it's definately the best RPG ever. There are so many things that combine to make Gothic such a great game, that I don't think you can even attempt to say one thing that makes it so good, everything makes it so good!
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:58 am
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by titus

diablo is no real rpg, true, but gothic isn't either.

neverwinter nights and baldur's gate for instance, those are true rpgs! It's very different from action-type rpgs like gothic, wich is an arcade compared to real rpgs.
as we know rpg = role playing game. there is not one bit of roleplaying in gothic games, everything is very simple without any dices and numbers.
so it isn't necesary that you will like nwn/bg if you liked gothic, those are two very different genres. but I love nwn just the same as gothic and I think it's a good game.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:21 am
Kaboodleschmitt
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

RPG = Role Playing Game. In Gothic you PLAY the ROLE of the convict in a GAME. Gothic is very much a true RPG. As for NWN and BG, I have never played them, so I can't say. RPGs origionally were of the pen & paper style, but now they have become something more. As for me, I still accept them as RPGs.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:27 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

why do i like gothic?several reasons make it such a long lasting classic not to be forgotten.For me the basics what make gothic so gothic are

1) the world itself and the characters who populate it.Hell many times i just forgot i was playing game, I was LIVING there and breathing the air in khorinis or (inside the barrier first time:). I was the HERO not just an other boring game character with no personality what so ever.During my journeys I met npcs who seemed so real, i could barely remember they were just npcs.They had life and routines.People seemed to do something not just standing there like in some other big major rpg .When i went to see a smith i found him from the sound of stove and hammering.In khorinis I heard how saturas kept his daily lessons to the common folk.IT was absolutly fabolous moment as i put my lousy legs inside the walls of khorinis first time.Bars were full of life, guards were doing their daily walks etc etc..It felt like a real city..I'm sure lots of you have samekind of moments and there is no need to repeat those.

2). I don't know if this falls into upper part, but there is so much interactivity to found everywhere.Hero can cook food, sit, smoke some waterpipe or weed, go to brothel, hunt some animals and skin them, make own weapons..List just goes on and on..

Actually its the fact that he actully does everything, if i drink a bottle of gin, hero actually takes a bottle and drinks it, not just some hp number goes up like in morrowind.

3) excellent combatsystem.

i'll hope to see even more complex realtime combat ala severance of darkness some day in a rpg game, but gothic's way is good way to that direction and i know g3 is gonna be even better in this area than I and II.Perhaps it is just me, but I can't stand when computer fights on behalf of player with stats.I want to USE the sword myself, block myself, shoot myself, the same way i drink potion or talk to game-characters!That is why games like deus Ex, gothic, Arx fatalis rock.I just bloody HATE point,click and watch type rpg-games.Those type of games break the immersion aspect for me allways.
Call me what you like, but i love swinging my sword MYSELF.

4).The setting(war, barrier), lore( 3 gods etc) and plot in gothics are major factors why i love these games so much. The unique atmosphere gothics have allways been able to create is simply stunning.I love the fact that npcs have their own affairs and hopes. Thruth and justice can be seen in many colors.Political realationships sometimes seem as real as the ones in our world.Lee belives his cause so much that the good will of paladins means nothing to him even if it could save whole damn kindom!I know he has his reasons to hate king, but is it right just watch and let palading to be eated by orcs?

An other great example could be our so called friend xardas, whose true coals are never quite clear for us. well perhaps g3 will clear them more
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:19 am
ravens' power

I first played gothic wit my friend at his house.We have gone to buy a game and I saw in the store.I told him to buy it and after a search we desided to take it.We played it at his house and we were amazed from the beging.It was wonderfull.I liked it much and I bought it.Till then I buyed all the other gothic games and as I can see the creators still use this magic that attracks you so much
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:32 am

Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I learned about gothic in a magazine and eventhoug I didn't play rpgs I bought it.I was amzed from the beging with all those npcs.They were so real that I felt like playing on-line and everyone was different from the other.I liked it because you have the ability to do what ever you want.You can go hunting choose a camp,sleep beat everyne you want if you have the power to do that learn anything you want.In the gothic world you are free to do whatever you.The npcs are separated and believe different things(gods like the sect loonies) hate it's other.Also the game includes many mysteries about the past of the barrier like the search for the focus with Milten who tells about the curse who has made a magician to protect the tomb and the focus.That thing countinious to the other gothic games.I think gothic1 was great even if it had those bugs.I also liked the ai which was very good.When you meet a pack of snappers they go aruond you and hit you from everywhere

I think we don't need to compare gothic with other games because it's different.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:05 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
why do i like gothic?several reasons make it such a long lasting classic not to be forgotten.For me the basics what make gothic so gothic are

1) the world itself and the characters who populate it.Hell many times i just forgot i was playing game, I was LIVING there and breathing the air in khorinis or (inside the barrier first time:). I was the HERO not just an other boring game character with no personality what so ever.During my journeys I met npcs who seemed so real, i could barely remember they were just npcs.They had life and routines.People seemed to do something not just standing there like in some other big major rpg .When i went to see a smith i found him from the sound of stove and hammering.In khorinis I heard how saturas kept his daily lessons to the common folk.IT was absolutly fabolous moment as i put my lousy legs inside the walls of khorinis first time.Bars were full of life, guards were doing their daily walks etc etc..It felt like a real city..I'm sure lots of you have samekind of moments and there is no need to repeat those.

2). I don't know if this falls into upper part, but there is so much interactivity to found everywhere.Hero can cook food, sit, smoke some waterpipe or weed, go to brothel, hunt some animals and skin them, make own weapons..List just goes on and on..

Actually its the fact that he actully does everything, if i drink a bottle of gin, hero actually takes a bottle and drinks it, not just some hp number goes up like in morrowind.

3) excellent combatsystem.

i'll hope to see even more complex realtime combat ala severance of darkness some day in a rpg game, but gothic's way is good way to that direction and i know g3 is gonna be even better in this area than I and II.Perhaps it is just me, but I can't stand when computer fights on behalf of player with stats.I want to USE the sword myself, block myself, shoot myself, the same way i drink potion or talk to game-characters!That is why games like deus Ex, gothic, Arx fatalis rock.I just bloody HATE point,click and watch type rpg-games.Those type of games break the immersion aspect for me allways.
Call me what you like, but i love swinging my sword MYSELF.

4).The setting(war, barrier), lore( 3 gods etc) and plot in gothics are major factors why i love these games so much. The unique atmosphere gothics have allways been able to create is simply stunning.I love the fact that npcs have their own affairs and hopes. Thruth and justice can be seen in many colors.Political realationships sometimes seem as real as the ones in our world.Lee belives his cause so much that the good will of paladins means nothing to him even if it could save whole damn kindom!I know he has his reasons to hate king, but is it right just watch and let palading to be eated by orcs?

An other great example could be our so called friend xardas, whose true coals are never quite clear for us. well perhaps g3 will clear them more

i couldent agree with you more! everything that was here listed is totally explained why you gonna like Gothic series
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next