View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Newbie caves and tomb question

Hello everyone

I have just playing Morrowind and it's add ons for about 3 weeks or so. I have reach as far south as Vivec and as far north as Ald Ruhn and ghostgate.
Mostly on foot just to explore.
I have met Casius Cosades but have not join any guild nor started the main quest yet.

I came across many tombs and caverns but have not explred any becoz it seems some caverns and tombs are related to some major quest as well as having creatures that are too tough for a beginner. And I do not want to mess up the quests.

It brings to the question, is there any tombs or caverns you guys can recommend explring which are good training ground for a newbie?

The only cave I have explored is Addanarsartus , which is right next to the siltstrider in Seyda neen....this cave seems pretty easy, I killed all 3 bandits and freed the slaves...thats about it.

BTW, I play a Nord /Battlemage/Steed.
Major in Heavy armor and axes. And the 3 magic, conjuration, alteration and destruction.

I only have 3 weapons on me now. The steel battle axe, a magical battle axe found in a treestump in sayda neen and a steel katana found in the bandit cave in addanarsartus.

Thanks everyone
Post Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: newbie questions

quote:

I have met Casius Cosades but have not join any guild nor started the main quest yet

You should join the blades, the thieves and the mages guilds to get accessible to their trainers. No need to do their quests if you don't like.

quote:

I came across many tombs and caverns but have not explred any becoz it seems some caverns and tombs are related to some major quest as well as having creatures that are too tough for a beginner. And I do not want to mess up the quests

Well, this is a hard questions since the number of caves and caverns are so numerous and their names are difficult to remember. I suggest that you do the quests of the mages guild since it will lead to your ability to trap souls and get your own enchanted weapons. Also, the quests of the two first mage hosts in Balmora are fairly easy.

quote:

BTW, I play a Nord /Battlemage/Steed.
Major in Heavy armor and axes. And the 3 magic, conjuration, alteration and destruction.

If you intent to use magic spells then you have got off on the wrong foot! Since the real mage needs a lot of magicka( about 2 or 3 times the normal imagicka the other races have. You should select either Breton or Elf.

quote:

I only have 3 weapons on me now. The steel battle axe, a magical battle axe found in a treestump in sayda neen and a steel katana found in the bandit cave in addanarsartu

Although those weapons are allright for now, remember that you should select only one weapon as your major or minor. Short blade is considered a good choice since it is easily to find a good enchanted one early in the game and it is quite adequate to carry on through the whole game even if you plan to become a fighter.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:42 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi Kingsorel

Thank you for the hints and notes.
Actually my main objective on choosing a battlemage with the intention on specializing with heavy axes as a priority ( personal fav weapons in any RPG)
The same as when I am playing Gothic 1 and 2, sacred, NWN....so on..just love axes.
Second priority will be magic.

After my first posting here...I've been playing around with magic spells and now my magic skills are getting higher and higher.

I have joined the Blades, the mage guild and the Imperial cult.
As for the 3 great houses, I haven't decided yet.

Prob either Redoran or Hlaalu. I found the Telvanni are so nasty, unfriendly, rude and racist. Thats my impression after explring the Azura region. Perhaps I havent see the full story yet.

I am at level 5 now and soon going to reach level 6.
Went into a couple of caves and tombs.....killed many bandits and slavers and freed a lot of slaves....about 18 slaves so far.

Yesterday while I was explring an island west of seyda neen, I was diving for pearls and something wierd happens....there underwater..I saw a figure walking towards me in the water.....so I quickly swim back to the shore and the figure followed me and as he walk out of the water...he attacks me and I realize it was a coprus stalker.

I never realize you can find corprus stalker under water or in the Bitter coast region for that matter. Thru some readings on the net...I just assume that C stalkers are found only around Molag Amur/red mountain region LOL.
Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:14 pm
CIACinderella
Village Leader
Village Leader

A few thoughts...
When you decide on a great house, I would defenitely look into what their "favored skills" are. All the factions in the game have their own favored skills and how much you advance in these skills will determine how much you advance in these factions. At www.uesp.net you can check out the walkthrough section to see a list of all the factions favored skills. I would say that if you plan on mostly using magic you're best off joining Telvanni. Redoran is my favorite house...but it's defenitely for a fighter type character, where your major skills would be things like long blade and medium or heavy armor. And yes, I do think the Telvanni are nasty, unfriendly, rude and racist. But they're kind of cool too.
As for the corprus stalker, I'll only say a few things as not to give away the plot: What you saw makes some sense, and if you go into a cave and there's lots of red candles, RUN AWAY!
Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:43 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: newbie tombs and caves

You can buy the spell "bound battle axe" and conjure up a daedric battle axe to fight. The wonderful thing about this is the conjured axe has no weight and last 60 seconds. It costs only a few magicka each time.

I like redoran house, its quests are straight and mostly suitable for fighters. Telvanny is cocky and Hialuu is sleazy.

BTW don't be too afraid of contracting the corpus disease. You only get the disease if you fight against Dagoth Gares in the Ilunibi cavern. Infact, I have always got into that cavern to get the famous Fist of Randagulf gauntlets( +20 strength and agility ), but avoiding to face Gares. I used levitation. But I think yours is a little weak for venturing into that six house cave.
Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:08 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi CIA and Kingsorel

Thanks for the great tips.
I think I will join the Redoran...as their favored skill are closest to my own skills. I am thinking of joining the imperial legion as well as I am done with the Imperial quest (almoner, sergeant and healer) except the oracle ones.

I am now at level 7 and so far in the main quest....I am asked to see the wise woman at the Ushilaku Camp. I havent gone there yet. Still running around to get my levels up.
I still got Ushilaku Astral Burial to cover , so I guess Illunibi is atill far away....hopefully I will reach level 10 or so before attempting it.

Yes...mentioning of red candles..I did ventured into a cave by the name of Hassour at the foyada Mamaca.....after a few steps into that creepy place...I chickened out and went back outside. I JUST KNEW something wasnt right about that cave.

I encontered a bonewalker in a tomb and manage to kill it with ease...but it made 3 of my attributes went down to the red....pesky and annoying.....so I went to a shrine at Gnisis and donated 35 and choose the blessing "alemaxia's grace" and all my attributes went back to normal. YAY

Recently met a mage in the Mage guild who sell the spell "alemexia's grace" - dispel 20% on self......so I hope that is the correct spell to buy that will restore all my attributes should I encouter any bonewalker or diseased creatures? Did I buy the right spell?

Anyway...thank you all...been really helpful
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:25 am
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Imperial legion is a good choice. You should also considered joining the temple guild soon because when you go farther into the main quest and become known as the nevarian the temple will not accepted you, their ordinators will have order to kill you on sight. Join the temple and do all the quests at the end you got arguably the best armour in the game, The Ebony Mail and also become the temple patriarch.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:12 pm
CIACinderella
Village Leader
Village Leader

To restore your attributes visit an Imperial Cult shrine. The have a blessing there literally called "Restore Attributes." You might also check out the Fighter's Guild, it has a really neat story line.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:00 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by CIACinderella
To restore your attributes visit an Imperial Cult shrine. The have a blessing there literally called "Restore Attributes." You might also check out the Fighter's Guild, it has a really neat story line.

You can also carry restore attribute potions. And even better, learn restore attribute spells. I think that mark,recall, restore strength, restore intellegence, etc. are the most helpful spells in the game!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:24 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Restore attributes is more general than dispel. Dispel only remove the effects of a spell. If the effects are from diseases, curses ... dispel won't work.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:11 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the great tips. It was really helpful and great stepping stone for this wonderful yet intimidating game.

I have now joined The Blades, Mage guild, Imperial Cult, House Redoran, Temple and of course, the Ashlanders.

I am looking at Thieve guild with interest but all their require skills are way too low on my personal stats...it will take me forever to reach any rank LOL.
So I will leave it for another character in the future.

I will probably join one last one, prob Imperial legion. This is my first time enjoying a game of this large, grand scale and my journal are in their 200th pages...getting a few quest all confused up.

I finally got the free amulet almsivi/divine intervention so I can easily transport to any temple/Inperial cult to get healing.

I finally clear out the whole of Urshilaku Burial chamber and got everything including the BoneBiter Bow...but the next time I tried going there again...the whole cave was filled with undead again. I never realize that caves and dungeons respawns the monsters once you clear them out.

Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:28 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

There is a great axe (StormKiss) in Marvani tomb, South of Molag Maar. This tomb has plenty of loot so prepare to carry . You probably should think about using Mark and Recall. There are also some great daedric helm and shield in a hiding place high up. The mosnters are moderately tough, but not tougher than what you just faced.
Post Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:20 am
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi Kingsorel

In fact I did went to Marvani's tomb
The one with the viking ship burial.
Got a lot of great stuff...but I missed the hiding place....I didnt find any deadric helm

I even used levitate...but I didnt see any hiding place...maybe I missed it
Looks like I have to go there again.
Post Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:03 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

I just finished the Boots of the apostle quest and got the boots of the apostle. I have check on the net and all the info told me that the boots have an armor rating of 200+. But when I put it on it only have an armor rating of only 18 !?
Is it becoz I am a heavy armor user? I realized the boots of apostle is under light category.

When I raided Berandas at level 13, I encounterd 2 deadroth, 2 hunger,2 atronachs, 6 dremora and 3 dremora lords and of course the 2 twilights. It was yucky !!!
I didnt know at level 13 you would start encountering so many of these nasties LOL . I thought they are only for levels 20+

I manage to handled all of them without much problem.
I used my 2 main weapon. Goldbrand and deadric warhammer. ( I LOVE these 2 weapons )

In some post people mostly mentioned they only encountered rats, scamps and atronachs.

At the moment, my 4 active list of quest is :
Redoran stronghold stage 2
Rotheran - Ice blade Monarch quest
Mzuleft - Dwemer bluueprint + book
Kogoruhn - 3rd Trial for 3 artifact.

sounds pretty yucky to me
Off I go
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:08 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:

I just finished the Boots of the apostle quest and got the boots of the apostle. I have check on the net and all the info told me that the boots have an armor rating of 200+. But when I put it on it only have an armor rating of only 18 !?

The defense rating depends on your light armour skill and your level.

And you missed a couple of precious things in that stronghold. Among them, a 10% magicka resistant shirt.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next