RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
rcontu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help A Newbie

i recieved as a gift both Gothic 1 and 2 and i have some basic question
1)wich is better
2) do you think you have a strong disappontment if you play G1 after G2(i ask this because having installed both it looks that the grafic of G2 is much better)
3)wanting to play g2 as a paladin and as a mage the second time can you tell me the last usefull save to keep for not restarting all the game
4) witch will be the skills and atributes i can have at the point of the save that will let me develope well both classes (mage -paladin )

sorry for my english and thx
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:15 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

1) Have no idea
2) If I were you I would play Gotich 1 first, since you'll meet many of your old friends from Gothic 1 in Gothic 2, I havn't played Gothic 1 yet...
3) I don't get the question But you can also join the Mercenaries at the Landowner's place
4) Well, the mages use a lot of Magic, so you'll need much Mana, But you should also get some strength and dexerity, and also get at least half good in either 1- or 2-handed weapon, you won't need bow or crossbow as a mage.
I don't know much about the paladins...But I know that when you are a paladin you can use some magic runes, so you might wan't to have some mana there too. But now you should bee good in 1- or 2-handed weapon

...I got no problems with your english
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:28 pm
rcontu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

about mine third question I try to explain better.I want to make a savegame before joining any guikds than play as paladin and finishing the game ; after use that savegame but to join the mages guild (not restart from the begining )
the question is at wich point I must make this save? and which characteristics must have at this point my char for being able to go ahead well as paladin or as wizard without to have to waste too many points.
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:59 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

1. both are very good. I think G2 is slightly better.
2. No real problem. Many people did this.
3. Hard to describe. You have to explicitly join a faction. DonŽt spend the 1000 gold for the mages and do all neutral quests plus the admission quests for the paladins and the mercenaries. Make a new save before you join the paladins.
4. YouŽll find this out for yourself. The guy in front of the monitor is also an important factor. The better _you_ fight, the less skill points ahve to be spent on melee skills.
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:17 pm
bugeye
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Having played several times through as a mage, I can disagree with Aphazel with regard to melee vs long range.

If you are going to play as a mage, ignore strength entirely and get 25 dex (including the potion from the field raiders cave) then go up the hill to the north of the city and get the light crossbow. (25 dex, 40 damage) It makes a GREAT close range weapon as your dext is applied with EVERY hit and your chances of hitting are very high at close range. With melee, you need to spend on BOTH strength AND specialization, wasting precious LP's. The only disadvantage is that you can only kill and not wound with a crossbow.

The above is personal of course, but I thought a divergent point of view would be useful. (No offence meant Aphazel)

As to your questions, these are my opinions:

1. Gothic 1 is better. The overall game features are superior in the later one, such as graphics, but I find I prefer G1 for its simpler choices and greater access to "hard" areas early in the game.

2. I dont think you will be dissapointed in G1 if you play G2 first, but I think your enjoyment of G2 would be greatly enhanced if you play G1 through a couple of times first as there are many subtle nuances that you would be oblivious to if you don't do G1 first.

3. Since there are many variations, I suggest you don't the first few times through as you may like to try variations in order and method. I tried it a few times at first, but find that my enjoyment is more if I start at the beginning each time.

4. None really, If you wish to do that, may I suggest that you develop NO skills and leave 100 LP's ready to assign depending upon choice. I have done this, and it is quite do'able.

Just my thoughts!
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:22 am
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

1.I think they are bouth great..
2. I had a slight dissapointment for playing gothic 2 first.. i bearly understood what is it all about for the first time i played it..
Then i played gothic 1.. lower grafics.. if you play gothic 1 first you get used to the grafics and tha you play gothic 2 and you are amazed..
I suggest you to play them by order..
3. dont ast 1100 gold you have... do the millitia quests and b4 joining someone save...
4.Sorry for not answering the others alredy did..
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:26 am