Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
In your opinion, Are Paladins really 'good' or are they...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Whos really the 'bad' guys?
Paladins
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Mercs
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

In your opinion, Are Paladins really 'good' or are they...

In your opinion, are Paladins really 'good' and defend the weak or are they stubborn, arrogant warriors who take advantage of the less fortunate?

I just wanted to get your opinions on it...because i know for a fact some people detest paladins/knights/goodie goodies in games(especially gothic) for one reason or another... Personally im a pro paladin/holy warrior...but i can see where some people would get off thinking paladins are self rightous

So whos really the bad guys in Gothic 2?

The paladin, hideing in their city, not helping the local farmers, allowing militia to plunder and raid and making life hard for the mercs who in most cases are less criminals than the miltia...

or

The mercs, criminals and rogues mostly from the penal colony, starving the city and attacking farmers loyal to the king as well as damaging the progrss of the paladins to stop the forces of darkness?
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:13 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

i think those two guilds are bad cause one treats the other bad and vie versa, they both attack the farmers...
Those two guilds r more evil than orcs cause even orcs stay together and help each other those two guilds don't !!!
Mages in the other hand is more like a neutral faction that also support each other, helps the paladins and doesn't do anything bad to the mercs so actually both fighter guilds r bad and the mages r good !!
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:52 pm
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Neither side are really the "bad" guys. One of the things I like about Gothic is that there is no absolute "good" or "bad" Take the first Gothic.

One side is relatively peaceful, but only because it is enforced by the opportunistic guards and barons. Another side doesn't force you to pay protection money, but they have no law and order. The last side has law and peace, but is filled with drug-addled zealots and crazy self righteous Guru's.

That's one of the things that I've always liked about Gothic over other RPG's all the factions are shades of gray, and can't be easily defined in terms of good and evil.
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:32 pm
ServanteS
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

there are no good or bad boys,moust think that mercs are good because of friends from G1 not true in this war mercs stay aside and only look for them self and how to get some easy money,dont forget who the mercs are ... convicts.On the ather side paladins are on the mission and short with time to deal with local afairs,as for militia these days they receive anibody in their ranks ...
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:03 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The paladins aren't good, but they are still the best of the bad ones.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:53 am
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hi guys

We do not have to talk about which side is 'good' or 'bad', just like in our real world, only kids talks who is 'good' or 'bad'.

The real goal P.B. is wanting to reach is to make Gothic more and more realistic, so the more complex, the more illegible the story is, the more successful it is.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:14 am
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

yes but necro everyone has their opinions, on all sorts of issues, im just curious to what people perseve to be the 'nastiest' side in G2
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:13 pm
Fabio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Pals and Mercs cannot be classified as entirely good or bad. AMong their ranks they both have the despicable element who have no care for other people(Sylvio and his goons for the Mercs and Parcival, Lothar for the Pals), and the good guys(Gorn, Lee for Mercs and chief of militia, Lord Hagen for the pals). A better classification of both would be that Paladins are Lawful, they believe in following their leader, they have a strict rule of conduct which they are supposed to follow, they maintain order etc. Mercenaries would be Chaotic, they follow Lee but may decide to break of from him and do whatever they want, violence is accepted among them and don't want people telling them what to do unless they get something rewarding in exchange.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:47 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I hard to make a dicision about that.
The paladins order the militia to steal for the farmers. The mercenarys protect the farmers.
In this example you might consider the paladins 'bad' and mercenarys
'good'.

The paladins serve the kingdom and also carry out a mission which should save the kingdom from destruction. The mercenarys exploid and treaten the farmers with violence if they don't pay their contribution to Onar.
In this example you might consider the mercenarys 'bad' and the paladins 'good'.

So, which one is good or bad, I have no idea.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:55 am
Tudy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's it

That's the ideea, it doesn't matter what u choose ,each side has it goods and bads so the concept of bad and good betwen these 2 factions doesn't exist.The bad and good only exists betwen humans and the dark force,humans are protectors of the creation wich was made by there sacred god Inos, and the "bad" guys are Beliar's servants which want's 2 destroy all what his brother has created
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:30 pm
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think that most of us gamers have missed the political dynamics of the storyline of the game. The paladins were sent by the King to get the mining of ore back on track. Ore is needed to forge superior weapons that are needed for the war effort. For those of us that played G1 we know a little of the history. The King and the Orcs were at war then, the whole reason for the barrier was to make the prison colony controlable, if you have not played G1 you missed out on a great game, play it then come back and play g2.

The Paladins are the warriors of the king, soldiers, they may have a religious background, and for most gamers the first paladins they ever encountered with the ones of D&D fame that were indeed holy warriors and good. One however, must understand the political dynamics, the paladins are not here to save the day, the King sent them here to put the ore production back on track. Plan and simple they are the Knights of the Realm obeying the King, some of the more powerful are paladins of Innyos (sp) and are pious, but basically they are here to serve one purpose get the King the ore period. All other aspects of their surrounds is secondary. They are resented as frontier towns and farmers are notoriously independent types, and speak their minds even if its stupid to do so. So are the paladins bad? No, they are not the traditional paladins coming to save the day we are use to.

The mercenaries have bad in them, but in a sense if you Lee's history, they are a good lot whos drawn a bad lot in life. They are not welcome anywhere except where they useful at the time, and currently they work for an employer that might be a evil man, but hey working for the local mafia don means getting your hands dirty. Basically the Landowner is the don, so you have to rough it up a little with the locals. Its a living. Lee is trying to find a real job for his guys but the Paladins wanted to do nothing but round them up and put them back to work in the mines. So they fought them.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:09 pm
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think you're putting a positive spin on the Mercs. Saying "it's a living" doesn't absolve them of the bad stuff they do. They had a choice.

Personally I like the Paladins better. Sure they can be bastards and people like Lothar are jerks, but you still get the sense that they are trying to help the city. Lord Andre provides free lodging, beer and combat training to help morale, as well as sending members of the militia to help the local farmers. So they're not totally oblivious to the needs of the people.

But then again that's just my personal taste, either way neither side comes out on top, morally speaking. As has been said before, both sides have thier rotten elements and thier virtuous elements.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:39 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i think that the paladins are the evil element because they are the basic tyranical sobs that you would expect to be under the direct command of a king that had a magical dome erected over his ore mines in order to keep the miners from running away, total dickheads, stuck-up snobs, bastards that have their heads so far up their asses that they cant see that the garrison in valley of the mines is under siege until you get a signed note from the commander
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:54 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

The Paladins are jerks in sheep's clothing. Really bad, tasteless sheep's clothing. :p
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:26 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Shut up all of you! Paladins are cool! I WONT HEAR ANY OF THIS!!!!!

.....bah I knew I should have just joined the mercs.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:47 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next