D&D Online: Preview @ GCC
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

D&D Online: Preview @ GCC

Game Club Central has whipped up a <a href="http://www.gameclubcentral.com/modules.php?name=GCCReviews&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=241&ttitle=Dungeons%20&%20Dragons%20Online" target="_blank">preview</a> of D&DO and the author - an older player - isn't too impressed:<blockquote><em>So, bottom line.....I’m 49 years old and I played most of the standalones and D&D (the first versions) and AD&D and this game if its ever released to the public in the condition its in now won't live long. Its too graphically buggy and not even close to the D&D us old guys and gals grew up with. And just so you know, I made 4 characters total, almost made it to level 2 with each of them, and never got past the harbor to see if a city was even online. But what do you expect for a 4 day beta test? <br> <br>At this stage in the game, I wouldn’t spend 50 bucks and more with the monthly fee to play, nor would I recommend it to anyone to try out. GCC will be revisiting Dungeons and Dragons Online for a full review of the retail release in the near future.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:08 pm
RPGPorkster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for revealing this news. Bad games should be avoided to send a clear message that RPG'er are sick of shit of from poor coding houses.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:10 pm
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
not even close to the D&D us old guys and gals grew up with

This is the key.

I am 36 years old and played D&D with my friends daily back in 1986. I entered the beta and thought...ok, so nice Guild Wars feel. Ok, instancing is nice for your group..neat modern MMOG features but where is the D&D?

Like Star Wars Galaxies before it, its just the name.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Ouch, this doesnt bode well for us hopefuls who have been... welll, holding out hope... and giving it the benefit of the doubt. On one hand, I can see them wanting to dramatically change the absolutely monotonous and tedious standard that has come to be known as MMORPG. Closed environs and what not are one thing, but non-soloable content is an absolute death knell.

I'm still waiting for the full version reviews tho. I have been looking forward to this game, but dark clouds are definitely looming on the horizon
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 pm
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The argument at Turbine is "You can't solo in DD Online because you could not solo back when you played PnP with your friends."

This is true. And if this is true, DD Online is really just Neverwinter Nights Online. You will have to coordinate with your real life friends when to play or hope to find others logging in at the same time as you. It is called forced grouping in other MMOGs. It just seems to defeat the purpose of having the gameworld open 24 hours a day and charging a fee every month if we can't just jump in for a quick adventure alone.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:37 am