View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Troy

Anyone else excited about this movie?

I saw the trailer on big screen the other day, and man, does it look good! If they play their cards right, this movie could be pretty neat. Imagine the Troy conflict in its full glory. A full scale war in ancient Greece...

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:58 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Excited? No. But I never get excited about movies.

Going within a week of it opening? Hell, yeah.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:52 pm
The Republican
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Troy

quote:
Originally posted by Blacklight
A full scale war in ancient Greece...

Its not Greece. The war was in Persian controlled Asia Minor (Turkey).
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:52 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Right. Though it's the Greek army that besieged Troy, isnt it? I mean, didn't Odysseus and Achilles and stuff fight in that war?
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:54 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yes. "A full scale war by the ancient Greeks" would be more accurate.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:47 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I doubt it'll be as graphical as the Iliad.
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:04 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I just hope it's rated G! *laughs maniacally for no real reason, or probably because caffeine makes me very hyper*

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:58 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I love history & mythology so I'll scope this sucker out. Was not too impressed with the trailer. Seemed a little to shiney and waaaaaaaaaaay to many ships. But then again, it has been ages since I read the Illiad & the Oddessy. Hopefully it is gritty like Gladiator.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:29 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Re: Troy

quote:
Originally posted by The Republican

Its not Greece. The war was in Persian controlled Asia Minor (Turkey).

??????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????

HELL yes I am going to print this post!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH that was the greatest I have ever heard
Maybe I would give this page over to all Greek schools and the teachers could do a little error corection in our history books!
After seeing this I can die....it was the last thing.!!!!!
Hey Republican you are jocking right!
Now its my turn for a joke:Alexander the Great isnt entitled actually Great because of his huge strtegic achievements all over the known world (in that age time )
but because his was very tall and weight a lot......that's why we call him Great because he was a huge person.MUoAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:34 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A'ight, Balconygolf. Enlighten us.

I honestly admit knowing very little about the conflict. I know it involved a siege of several years, and a wooden horse. I know the fight features Agamemnon, Ajax, Achilles(the one with the vulnerable heel ) and (I think) Odysseus.

Didn't it all start over a woman? The Greek king's daughter, abducted by the Troyan King?
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:41 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Checked a map, and unless I'm really mistaken, Troy seems to have been situated in what now is Turkey... In the nortwest of the asian part of the country.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:00 pm
Zagorin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

An easy mistake which makes someone about Troy, is that thinks the time which the war is happen, is the same timeline with the classical Greece of Athens, Sparta, Macedonia, Plato, Alexander etc. But the reality is that the war was happen more than 1000 years ago.

Before the classical Greece civilization was the Greek Aegean civilization, which happen as we call it in the “mythic” Greece. We know this Greece from mythology and from the ancient sites which has been found. In fact the Hercules, Argonauts etc lived in this era.

Now..some history

Minoan And Mycenaean Phases

The first and longer phase of Aegean civilization, which ended about 1450 B.C., is called Minoan after the legendary Cretan King Minos. Crete was the center of Minoan civilization, which spread to the Aegean Islands, the coast of Asia Minor, and mainland Greece. The last period of Aegean civilization, the two and one-half centuries following 1450 B.C. when the center of Aegean political power and culture lay on the Greek mainland, is called Mycenaean after its most important site at Mycenae.

In the time of trogan wars, there was no Persians (which came after a millennium if I am not mistaken), or Turks which came a lot time later in the Byzantine era.

Yes, today, the city of troy locates in Turkey. In that part of time was not. In fact we don’t know exactly of which origin the Troy people are. But we have some evidence.

Armies of the Trogan Side was

the Amazons
Colonae
Ethiopia
Lycia
Phrygia
Thrace
Troy

And some facts about Trojans:

Egyptian papyrus mentions certain "Dardenui" as allies of the Hittites at Kadesh. Homer used "Dardenoi" and Trojans interchangeably
May have been of Balkan origin
Herodotus identified Trojans with Teucrians who Strabo identified as Cretans
May have been indigenous to Anatolia —Trojans of Troy VI may have been Luvians displaced from other areas of Anatolia by Hittites
Spoke Luvian — Indo-European language
"When they came from steep Wilusa…" may be reference to Homer’s "steep Ilios"
Pariya-muwas may have been transformed into Priamos by the Greeks
Suggests that the songs on which the iliad is based were composed by Anatolians, perhaps even by the Trojans, as well as by Greeks
Troy was the subject of songs of other cultures and they shared at least one epithet with the Greeks

Some we may think that Trojans has some related connection which the other greek tribes. After all they had the same gods. So in the end the war was in the area of Ancient…….Ancient…..Ancient Greece.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 11:03 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Excited? No. I may watch it, but since viewing one of the first trailers, where there were an awfully huge amount of ships done copy/paste style, I am disappointed. Besides, Diane Kruger may be a fine Elena, but Orlando Bloom most certainly makes a poor Paris. And howeverI may like Brad Pitt, I think that playing Achilles is a spoonful too much for his mouth. Besides, I think that the scrip writers must have tweaked the role of Achilles from generally a bad guy (yeah, that's right - he IS one of the bad guys in the Illiad) to a goody-do-gooder or something of the like.
And Troy was really in Turkey, and thrust me, I know, I was very sad while visiting the ruins a few years ago.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 2:03 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm going to have a hard time giving this film a fair crack of the whip, because it appears to be the reason Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi "The Fountain" isn't getting made. Or more accurately, it's Brad Pitt's fault - he allegedly walked out on that production to star in Troy, right after Aronofsky's crew & families had relocated to Australia & shooting was about to start. The muppet.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 2:37 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

SPOILERISH

Well... it was a so-so movie. You got the huge battle scenes, the nicely chroegraphed duel scenes, the death scenes, the kissings etc. etc.
But you don't get to see the GODS, dammit, which really downs this movie. And was the real siege of Troy ONLY 14 days? I don't remember exactly, but wasn't it something more like 10 years?

Was a bit dissapointed.
Post Fri May 14, 2004 6:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next