Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I like the game.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:13 pm
ShadowAssas1n
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok then I will put some notes as well.

Zone loading -> Not bad, only in cities. Out in the open takes me around 5 seconds to load (1 GB ram + 160kb connection), it also went ok with 512 RAM, this is not much of a worry for me, i am willing to wait.

Graphics -> By far the best graphics I have seen in any RPG to date.

Grouping -> Grouping is probably the easiest thing in this game, I have found that 1/4 people will group with you, and are very friendly. Also if you can't find any groups, just search the LFGs.

Community -> Hmm I'd have to say that I give the community round 8/10. Mainly because if you ask a question Out of Character, only one or two will reply, no biggy though, makes the game more challenging .

Monster AI -> Yes this is quite a pain in the ass, but it is more realistic and challening. In the real world if you got attacked by an animal they would chase you to the death.

Vendors-> I've had no problems with these. If you want to find good weapons I suggest you explore alot and do quests. You can even learn to make a good blade if you are willing (i don't know how personally).

Combat locking -> This is good because you don't want anyone to steal your loot or experience that are not in your group. Also if you can't handle the creature just yell, simple as that.

Subscription Fee -> Ok this is off topic but I frankly don't like it, I think they should tone it down a bit.

Spells -> I've found no problem with the spells, even though i have only few at my level (lvl 15), I still love them all, and have finally found out some awesome combos, and am still finding more.

Identitical looking characters -> This is only true for mages and summoners up to around say, lvl 20 or so. Crusaders and fighters only have the same chestplate, thats about it. Also there is no such thing as identical characters, all characters have different skin colour, race, hair style and so on . But the armour, after lvl 20 you will find almost no-one with the same armour settings as you.

Factions pvp -> I prefer games with lots of quests and tonnes of team co-operation, PvP would wreck the game completely if you were doing a quest at a low level and some lvl 50 guy comes in and kills your whole group. Maybe if they had set areas to PvP it might be alright, but otherwise I don't mind it much.

Death penalty -> This can be really really annoying, but it teaches you many lessons, like not to attack things you know you have no chance against and not to aggro.

Bugs -> Haven't really seen many.

LVLing and the Grind -> I have to say lvling is very hard in this game, but it's the same in DoAC.

Waypoints -> Simply awesome.

Quests -> Can get annoying that many quests are the same, kill 10 snakes, kill 10 wolves and so on, but, if many people give you the same quest, you get more money and xp for the same amount of effort

Crafting -> I have not really figured out how to craft yet so I wouldn't know.

Item mechanics -> No biggy, you can't drop them but you can always trade them, stash them in bags or bank, or you can destroy them.

One thing that is really annoying is that I believe the horses are way too overpriced, I haven't tried the griffins yet so I wouldn't know about them. Once I become pally at lvl 20 I get a free horse anyway so heh .

Overall I think this is a great game except the fact that it can get boring at times mainly because of boring quests and really hard lvling up.

$hadow
Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:17 am
RPGPorkster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I love quests, but I don't like the way EQ2 put them in the game. I feel EQ1 is more epic quality. You have to discover the quests by questioning the NPC's. EQ1's/text-based-adv concept could be improved one, though.

I think where EQ2 went wrong is, one the DEV team isn't the same as the original, and this maybe a reason to the lack of quality, and two, at the time EQ2 was on the drawing boards other competitive game where scheduled based on similar poor styles. Example, Horizons(Bowman), DAoC, etc.

I tend to believe EQ2 is based on both poor dev team and also trying to make the game similar to other trade based mmoRPG's.

Doesn't matter anyway as it's good to see a greedy company go down, like Sony.

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:06 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The moment I stoped reading first poster was : "After two days of playing I have concluded that ..."

How can anyone take conclusions so fast really amazes me. I am a Guardian 27 and Jeweler 26 on EQ2 and still don't feel confortable enough to start tossing conclusions about this game. I guess its just a matter of respect to the ones on this forum and also to all people that worked hard on the game. Be it EQ2 , Wow, DAoC or CoH, or whatever, "After two days of playing" ... well... go play more...

I am having fun on EQ2
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:00 pm
Psygnosis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I found EQ2 to be a dull experience for me. I only played a few weeks of beta, and maybe with months to come, EQ2 will shape up nicely. But I've never ever played such a flat MMORPG. EQ was definately the better experience, but that's had many expansions which improved the game. Maybe EQ2 needs these expansion packs to improve the game, but if it were to be a true sequel to EQ, it should have had more depth, than it currently has...
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:57 pm
Ortchel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I entered the contest, hope to god I win.

Hi, by the way.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:09 pm
Vanquish13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Let me start off by explaining that I played EQ1 since the first month it was out up until EQ2 came out. (I dabbled in DAoC and was part of a guild in SB as well over the years) I should also say that I am not playing WoW, due to the cartoony graphics (sorry call me a graphics elitist if you want to)

I really had high high hopes for EQ2 that were totally dashed by the developers.

The game is far and away one of the worst MMOs I have ever played..and it hurts me to say that.

The variety of zones and mobs at the lower levels is laughable. Yes you get to go around to different city zones and the Commonlands...but those get real boring, really quick. The variety of the mobs you have to kill is boring as well. (In a great jedi mind trick, they actually give you a title and reward for killing the same mob 500...yes thats right...500 times. Call me crazy, I dont want to kill the same mob 500 times during levels 10-15)

The crafting system, while I have to give them great credit for designing an active system, is totally fubared because they have set up the interdependence between various crafters to be so detailed that you can really keep going by yourself because you are missing other pieces that need to be made by other artisans...even for some of the simplest items. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Oh and ridiculous is the merchant system. To sell anything you have to keep your character in his little house NOT playing...who thought of this crap? I mean hell...even ShadowBane..with all its faults figured out a better selling system!

In the age of customizability, all characters look the bloody same. Dont even think about trying to have different spells than other people of the same class - they didnt set up a template system. Dont even think about wearing different robes / armor than people of your same class - the armor quests for each class are locked.

The game is skewed for large guilds - again - which we were told wasnt going to happen. Remember the video with like 7 people taking down a dragon?

And last but not least...the worst part...experience debt. Whomever decided this was necessary should be taken out, flogged, shot in the knewcap, then had his heart carved out with a spoon. thats what getting debt from your team members' deaths feels like. Every single time one of your party members dies...you get xp debt. No way around it...and it can set you back for days.

I have other horrid stories about CSRs and such, but ill save them for a rainy day.

Please stay away from this game for your own good.
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Vanquish13

And last but not least...the worst part...experience debt. Whomever decided this was necessary should be taken out, flogged, shot in the knewcap, then had his heart carved out with a spoon. thats what getting debt from your team members' deaths feels like. Every single time one of your party members dies...you get xp debt. No way around it...and it can set you back for days.

I was really put off when I first heard this as well, but then I had an active player explain to me that when one is logged off, the experience regenerates. Now I know some of us want to play 24/7 (me too) but, if this is true, it seemed to take a bit of the edge off. In my opinion.

Edit - I still think it's a silly idea really. The mechanics aren't making sense.
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:18 pm
Vanquish13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I knew that, but it really kills the "experience" or feeling of playing to see yourself so behind.

I really dont care if it regens while Im out, unless it goes to zero in two hours, its the crappiest feature ever created.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:37 am
mrbandersnatch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I played EQ2 till the end of beta at which point I found myself very jaded by SoE releasing the game unfinished and with some very serious bugs/gameplay issues. Ive long since quit buying and paying for beta products.

Id rate it 4/10 but then Ive been through most MMORPGs and am bored with seeing the same old thing rehashed and so crave something new. For newcommers to MMORPGs Id advise them to look at WoW since at least the attitude there is far less cynical than SoEs ($4.99 adventure packs??!! Go *****)
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:23 am
Black_Lord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I hope the quests in EQ2 are not as broken as EQ1. After months of complaining, I just quit paying for a broken game.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:53 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I've played the beta for about 1 month and started the retail when it came out.
Still playing today.
My main is a lvl 28 Templar (healer) and lvl 30 Provisioner (cook).
Simply put I still enjoy playing EQ2 after a total of 3 months.
It's a nice distraction from real life stuff and I am in a good guild with nice people who like to help each other.

To the original poster I would like to say that making *any* conclusion about a mmorpg you've played for 2 days is not fair and frankly immature.
If a game doesn't give what you are looking for right away, give it some more time or look elsewhere.
No need for all the hate.
It looks to me that you have an axe to grind with Sony.
I advice you to look in to World of Warcraft instead. I've played the beta from it as well and it's a really good game and very different to EQ2.
Perhaps that game is more to your liking.

Remember that we play games to have FUN, that is what it's all about
Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:02 am
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Sounds like a waste of money to me. I think that the enviroment was lacking of trees when i saw screenies.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:04 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just noting here, EQ2 took its crafting cue from SWG. Sort of.
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:13 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2