May have found the solution to everyone's mw problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

May have found the solution to everyone's mw problems

System specs 1.4 gig Athlon xp 1700. 512ddr ram Ati radeon 8500. I now run this game on 6x FSAA .. Full distance..Pixel shading on..Full AI..Sound quality high. 800x600. Well all i did was max my monitor refresh rate to 120hz. That is the highest it supports on this video card. As soon as i did that this game runs flawlessly everything maxed. It runs at 1000x768 but i just personly like 800x600. Also there is no ripping or tearing in the graphics at all. I hope this works for everyone!!! wooohoooo!!!
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:30 am

Re: May have found the solution to everyone's mw problems

**** deleted ****

EDITED BY DANICEK
Noone needs to read things like this dear JDR13.
This time I give you two warnings in one time.
1) you posted as anonymous, but you are registered, so you knew that things like this are not allowed here
2) you posted nasty things

Btw three warnings will get you banned.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 8:21 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
-------------
Running the game in 800x600 must feel like being short-sighted... Everything blurry and it is impossible to see anything on long range. Nah, I prefer lousy FPS than going so low.

-------
Get out. This is a respectable society. We do not like your kind here.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon May 13, 2002 8:26 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@Guest = JDR13
I edited your message

@Lordr31z
I am not technician, but I do not think that refresh rate can affect smoothness in way you describe it.
And I am with JemmyM, I can not play games like this under 1024*768 with my 17 inch monitor.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:37 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Danicek: hehe, I am planning to play this in 640x480 on 17", and I hope to get at least 10 fps on average. Long may my p3 450/128/tnt2 live
Post Mon May 13, 2002 10:07 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, yes, I know people like this still exists, strange kind, but better than us "detail hunters" and "insatiable hardware companies fodderers".

:]
Post Mon May 13, 2002 11:02 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

i hate to blow out your flame there but ya it does. I have a 19 inch monitor and it plays the same in 1000x. It seems as long as i keep my refresh rate maxed even if its 100hz at 1000x it runs smooth. I am not a tech either but i am just telling how it is on my system. If i lower the refresh rate then all the lock ups and slow choppy frames come back. Also it rids of the graphic tearing. same as if i were to run 1600x at 60hz. As long as the hz is maxed for that resolution.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 1:51 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

HEH 800X600 is clear as a bell on my monitor. No blurriness at all. You just have to spend the money on a good monitor.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 1:54 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Just as an FYI to those of you that think the refresh rate does not matter.

It does, actually. ESPECIALLY if you are running Windows XP. The higher the refresh rate, the higher your FPS can be. Seriously.

Your FPS can NOT exceed your refresh rate. (Unless you turn VSync off, then you result in ugly tearing)

Because your video card depends on your refresh rate to display properly, it will actually reduce your FPS so they do not clip at your refresh rate when possible, so if you have a refresh of, let's say, 60Hz, then your FPS will likely max at 40. In a busy area, maybe 20. (This is to provide maximum benefit to people with low refresh...Direct X knows that if your refresh rate is low, it is likely because your vid card may not support anything better...)

So, if your refresh is, say 120, you will likely max at 100 or so. (Of course, this isn't the case with MW, as I bet no one can get over 70 indoors...but, let's be honest, who are you kidding if you think that anything in the area of 30 is bad...the human eye can not comprehend much more than 30fps...you can argue till you are blue in the face, it's just fact.)

Sure, 70 FPS is better than 30, because on a computer, more is better, but 30 is totally smooth.

Why does this REALLY matter on XP? Cuz Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make ALL direct X and Open GL apps default at 60Hz, regardless of your refresh settings. Fortunately, most major video chipsets have drivers that shut this "feature" off. (The only reason I hate 60Hz is the stupid annoying flicker you get...)

So, in short, refresh rate does affect you, but if you do it just to go from 40 - 70, does it really matter?

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Wed May 15, 2002 2:16 am
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well I just set my monitor to 100hz I'll see if it makes a difference.

Surprisingly changing the refresh rate changed the size of the image on my screen and it had to be readjusted.

I'm not sure that it is true that you can not exceed the refresh rate of the monitor since I have been seeing frame rates as high as 130 indoors.

Only about 30 average out doors though.

Mike
Post Wed May 15, 2002 3:54 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you are seeing higher FPS than your refresh, then it is because you have VSync disabled. Trust me on this. I have worked for a video card manufacturer for almost 6 years.

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:16 am
FormerDiabloPlayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

refresh rate...?

OK...so I am an utter newbie when it comes to 'tweaking' ...how do I change my refresh rate?....it sounds like just what I need....
thanks.......
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:34 am

quote:
Originally posted by Hawthorne
Well I just set my monitor to 100hz I'll see if it makes a difference.

Surprisingly changing the refresh rate changed the size of the image on my screen and it had to be readjusted.

I'm not sure that it is true that you can not exceed the refresh rate of the monitor since I have been seeing frame rates as high as 130 indoors.

Only about 30 average out doors though.

Mike

130 fps indoors!!!!! What the hell do you have in your system?(be honest)

BTW.. Where in Michigan?
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:45 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Rightclick on desktop
Select "Properties"
Click "Settings"
Click "Advanced"
Click "Monitor"

There you shall see the refreshrate. I can personally not go above 60hz becouse of my 1940x1440 resolution.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:45 am
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
the human eye can not comprehend much more than 30fps...you can argue till you are blue in the face, it's just fact.

This is not a fact, since it is incorrect, but I am not going to argue till I am blue in the face since I have the feeling we both think we're right

You're right, 30 FPS is smooth, not really smooth. It tends to depend on the type of gamer you are. RPGers tend not to be as sensitive to high FPS as FPSers due to the nature of the games and the role reaction time plays. 30 FPS is nice, but 60 is nicer.

You can do a test with Q3 engine games using the com_maxfps command. The difference between 30 and 60 isn't huge, but if you don't notice it, you're not sensitive enough/not used to it, or not being truthful.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:28 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next