Im sure none of you want to hear this
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Im sure none of you want to hear this

I am conquered. I am defeated. But most of all, i am shattered. Fan of the elder scrolls, i waited long years for a miracle. Morrowind is that miracle. But it all comes down to computers. My comp isnt fast enough. I can play with 13 fps, but i cant stand it when i see the morrowind movies tease me. The mock my comp, by showing great fps(AND WATER). I am fading. Soon I will be lost in an unknown abyss. Picture this, I like playing Jedi KNight 1 more that playing morrowind. Why?Why?Why? IS there anyway(and try your hardest) to help me. I want tips and techniques to tweak morrowind. I wait 2 min between loading interior/exterior. I need help...... i will leave morrowind forever if i am not cured. Check my specs(dont laugh).

Pentium III 450 mhz
ATI Rage Pro Turbo
Run game at low on everything(except for sound...not music).
P.S. I did all the tweaking forums give.
Any thing can save me?
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:18 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: Im sure none of you want to hear this

quote:
Originally posted by Beatcow

Pentium III 450 mhz
ATI Rage Pro Turbo
Run game at low on everything(except for sound...not music).
P.S. I did all the tweaking forums give.
Any thing can save me?

About $2000 for a new rig...
I feel your pain, friend. My system's not too far ahead of yours. I only need to hit the lottery for about $800 for my mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:01 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Err...i don't how to say this, but your processor & video card is really "ancient." It's impossible to increase Morrowind performances on that kind system configurations with further tweaks. So it simply a matter of hardware power limitation. I surprises that you could ran Morrowind on that level of system specifications. You see, even my IGhz, GF2, 256 RAM only enough to play Morrowind on "generally acceptable level..."

Well, if you already follow the tips on both tweaking your system & Morrowind at Tweaktown website then i have no idea how to help - maybe now it's good time for you to consider buying a new computer.

Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:09 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I had pIII 500 and tnt 16mb when Morrowind came out. Going to pricewatch and eBay I upgraded about my entire system for less than $500. amd 1800+, motherboard, new case with front usb, 512 DDR, GF4 440mx (i know), SB Audigy, Sony CD-RW. It is not that expensive if you shop around.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:58 am
Vanderghast
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is odd. We tried Morrowing on my friends ancient, but cannot kill, PII. He is running windows XP, with 192 PC100 ram. And a 64mb Hercules Video card. I put on the Frame rate Patch, and we were getting 30 to 40 frames everywhere!

The only thing is it feels like my character is a freaking Water Elemental or something. As the water from the first of the game follows me around everywhere on the bottom third of the screen. Except when we are in a building.

I told my buddy we are playing "Swamp World!"

Quote the Gully Dwarf, Nevermore!
Member og the WWW
Member of the Non-Flamers Guild
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:37 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Vanderghast
This is odd. We tried Morrowing on my friends ancient, but cannot kill, PII. He is running windows XP, with 192 PC100 ram. And a 64mb Hercules Video card. I put on the Frame rate Patch, and we were getting 30 to 40 frames everywhere!

!!! are you serious!??. If it is then then your friend "ancient" is some kind of mutated pc !.

Anyway i hope my pc would also mutating & getting faster everyday .

Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:50 pm
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dunno what your problem with 13FPS is.

I play at 5FPS and that is very enjoyable for me .
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:37 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

TribalMan is right. It's not that expensive if you shop around. I've just recently bought a new computer by scrounging for various parts on eBay. I basically just bought a tower, w/ amd 1800, 512 ram, Geforce3, and various other stuff. As I already had a decent monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I had no need to buy those. All for about $450. Not too bad, in my mind. I haven't tried Morrowind on it yet, but it sure runs Might and Magic IX great! ... (Actually, I love that game, believe it or not.)

But seriously, check out eBay. The prices you find in stores will jipp (sp?) you insanely, and you can customize your new comp to your own likings. A good deal.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:39 pm
Vanderghast
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It's freaky! It is very playable except for the water everwhere you go.

I don't get them results from my PIII, albeit my friend has a 64mb card to my 16mb card.

Quote the Gully Dwarf, Nevermore!
Member og the WWW
Member of the Non-Flamers Guild
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:41 pm
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

....vid card

i play morrowind on a Amd Athalon Duron 1.2ghz, 512 mb PC2100 DDR ram, SB Live 5.1 sound card, Win 98 and a ATI Rage Pro 128 vid card w/32 mb. I keep ai distance and view at only about 1/4 of max, and shadows off. Yet, i still get slow frames in many places, especially near balmora mage guild (drops to like 2-3fps) Even indoors sometimes it gets low like that, especially if there are multiple npc's on screen. I have a feeling that uprgading my vidcard to about a geforce3 ti 500 (or, i wish, a geforce 4 ti4600) but i don't have $300 to $400 to spend right now. i just downloaded the framrate patch but havent tried it yet. does anyone have any suggestions that might help boost my frames?

=Member of The Sixth House=
=Member of The Non-Flamer's Guild=
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:41 am
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I say its your video card thats killing your games FPS.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: ....vid card

quote:
Originally posted by Dreaga07
i play morrowind on a Amd Athalon Duron 1.2ghz, 512 mb PC2100 DDR ram, SB Live 5.1 sound card, Win 98 and a ATI Rage Pro 128 vid card w/32 mb. I keep ai distance and view at only about 1/4 of max, and shadows off. Yet, i still get slow frames in many places, especially near balmora mage guild (drops to like 2-3fps) Even indoors sometimes it gets low like that, especially if there are multiple npc's on screen. I have a feeling that uprgading my vidcard to about a geforce3 ti 500 (or, i wish, a geforce 4 ti4600) but i don't have $300 to $400 to spend right now. i just downloaded the framrate patch but havent tried it yet. does anyone have any suggestions that might help boost my frames?

There's a load point around the mage's guild that slows me down every time. Perhaps that's what you're hitting. Listen for the HD... I upgraded my vid card (GF2MX 32MB to a GF3ti200 128MB) which helped my situation, but now I'm choked by an Athlon 650... Brother, can ya spare a mobo???
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:15 pm
es3addict
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

can i run MW on this rig:

p4 1.5ghz
geoforce 2 32 or 64 mb
128mb of sddrram or whatevr

im not much of a comp gamer and i already have mw for xbox and it ran dry for me so i would like to get the plugins n shiz
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:47 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

The performance of it would be very bad.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:58 pm
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i can Build you a New 1800 xp for less than 800 dollars.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:15 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next