5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Deus Ex 2 vs. Deus Ex 1

If you already finish playing Deus Ex: Invisible War, and compare it to Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, which one is better?.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:11 am
Moriarty
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I voted for 'fairly worst' (fairly worst?) and I think its a no-brainer that DX1 is the better game. DX2 offers a few neat new options and the improved physics/lighting system but the original was also great in those departments(for its time) and much better on story and depth of gameplay.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:50 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

"Fairly worst" in this case = "moderately worst." No related to another meaning for "fair" = legitimate way, proper...

Thanks for the vote, it's soooo quiet here... not much people playing the game yet...
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:35 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yet? I doubt that many people will be playing it at all.

PS (I think the comment is about worst part, which should be worse)
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:56 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It's been delayed in Australia to February, so that gives me a couple of months to decide if it's worth it.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:09 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yeah i think that "worst" (superlative) should been "worse" (comparative) .

Anyhow, there seem like general consensus among fans and reviewers that Dx2 isn't as good as DX1, but not extremely bad either. The average review ratio is 82% at Game Rankings, which equally fitting the trend. That look like rather bad compare to KOTOR (PC) so far received 92%. Most recent games also clearly better received such as Call of Duty and Max Payne 2.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:01 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well 1 one was a little bit better than 2 one i hoped we see in 2 part Daedalus and Icarus again well they merged in 1 part but still i hoped i will see them if u gonna play it fully u will realize the storyline is not that bad like it seemed to be at the beginning
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:50 pm
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Deus Ex was the last game that gave me excuse for sleeping less then 20 hours during whole week (and probably the last as I`m not getting any younger ). So I was one of the huge fans waiting for the second part like for no other game (except Fallout3 maybe). Warren Spector was a guarantee of quality for me. First I became suspicious when he revealed that there will be no exp points in the game. And of course news of X-Box version was little terrifing. And now when its off in USA I see all my fears became real. From people`s impressions it`s simplified to the point of plain X-Box shooter. Why and what for? There are so many shooters and DE was unique. Another legend gone because of greed.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:37 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I like the game well enough. If I had never played DE1 I would have been very pleased with this game.

But sadly, it does not compare with the original. The experience points in DE1 were a major part of the game. I loved having to decide where to put my points, because that was how you determined the manner in which you would play the game - stealthy hacker/gunslinger etc.

The fact that you cannot take out enemies silently is a real drag. All of the non-lethal weapons are too weak - you can't knock anyone unconscious without having them first making a huge racket, which makes me just pull my silenced gun now and kill instead of playing non-lethal levels. I LIKE playing a non-lethal game if I can.

DE2 just doesn't have the grim realism that DE1 had. It was a much grittier, tougher game. I am not exactly disappointed, because I never thought they would pull this off. Deus Ex 1 was just about perfect, as were the two Thief Games (even with their old-style graphics), and I do not think that we will see the like again. I don't know anything about the development and marketing side of games, but I get the distinct impression that somebody sacrificed genuine quality for mass-market numbers.

I believe that there will also be a lot of Thief fans reacting the same way in a few months.

Warren - you let us down! Not big time, but enough to make quite a few people feel cheated. Ten smacks on the head with a PC jewel box.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:29 am
Altre
eep
eep

I liked both, but the first was better. The gameplay was better in DX: IW in many ways, and the numbr of options you got is nice. If DX:IW had been as long as the original it would be close. (aside from issues that will probably be fixed in patching)

I also thought the music was more moody and fit better in the original DX.

*shrug*

I'm broke due to the fact that I spend all my cash on pens and paper. It's not funny. I need food, and that whole 'place to live' thing is way beyond me.
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:36 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I had the game. It doesn't work on my machine. It doesn't support gforce4 MX cards. That's ludicrous considering how common the card is. I know they just want to port the game straight into PC without much testing. The game is designed primarily for Xbox.

Okay fine. After I swap for an older videocard I had, the game runs. There were tons of bugs and finally gave it up. The game is stupid compare to the first one. I heard there are some people who finish the game the same day they install the game. That how short it is.

The game in my opinion is complete robbery. The company has really done all PC users a disservice. I will never in my life again bend over and get my butt raped by another game that's designed primarily for console systems.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:33 pm
Altre
eep
eep

It's true. The levels are really small. I mean, REALLY small. The game is also short. I was able to finish it the day I bought it. About 9 hours, and I did take my time. I did every sidequest I could find as well. So someone just zipping through could do it in half that time or less.

I'm broke due to the fact that I spend all my cash on pens and paper. It's not funny. I need food, and that whole 'place to live' thing is way beyond me.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:10 pm
PorkSoda
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I really hate DX2. I couldnt have been more dissapointed with the way it turned out. The sooner i forget about it the better.
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:39 am